living in helsinki

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
basil_taswell

living in helsinki

Post by basil_taswell » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:50 pm

hi
my name is james and i moved to helsinki 2 months ago to be with my girlfriend but i'm finding it really hard to find work. i have my degree but no-one seems to want to employ me, not even for bar work in say english/irish bars.
can anyone suggest anywhere to start?
thanks
james :D

living in helsinki

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:08 pm

http://www.mol.fi ?

OK,
- how is your Finnish (crystal ball sez = nonexistant, taking classes?)
- whats your degree in?
- tried cleaning companies?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

basil_taswell

Post by basil_taswell » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:23 pm

i tried mol.fi but not found anything suitable as yet
my degree is in film studies and yeah my finnish is pretty bad, i have a finnish for foreigners book and i've looked into lessons but can only find school ones that cost 125e and being broke can't afford that!
i haven't tried cleaning companies, know any good ones?

neil

Post by neil » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:02 pm

Hi James,

Try ravintola extra (a restaurant work agency) on +358 94762 8400 or http://www.extragroup.net

Also use the search button (above). it returned this job which was advertised a month or so ago: bb/viewtopic.php?t=739&highlight=car+au ... irport+job

Just try to get something (anything) for now. That will put bread on the table and help keep a roof over your head. Then for the medium to long term target companies which have the kind of work you want to do.

I think in some cases, Finnish employers are also nervous about hiring people that have just arrived here since they might feel that person might easily disappear just as quickly as they appeared. You should always tell your potential employer that you are staying here as it should not be assumed that they know you are.
Last edited by neil on Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:37 am

You got to register at the employment office as a jobseeker, then you'll be eligible for their immigrant Finnish classes.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

meenfreem

Post by meenfreem » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:24 pm

and you might get some money out of them too!

Zs00zsa

Post by Zs00zsa » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:41 pm

,|,,
Last edited by Zs00zsa on Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

De saggitis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine.

Lau

Post by Lau » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:22 pm

Zs00zsa wrote:^That's what I'm trying to do now as well... should go to Työvoimatoimisto to register tomorrow. Which course pays the most? (sorry, sounds like an arrogant question, but without speaking the language I can't work anywhere yet, and I still need to buy food and keep on living...)
You should be unemployed and with resident permit to get a course like that. As soon as you go to "työvoimatoimisto" in your city your name will be added to a "waiting list" of foreigners who want to attend the course, so it will start in October-November, I think.

My experience:
In 2002-2003 I attended the MAMU (integration course for immigrants) which lasted for about 10 months. I used to go to shool every day for 7 hours each day, we had a luch break and two shorter breaks for coffees. Lessons were ONLY in Finnish.
I used to get some support from KELA so it was something like a job for me. All in all it was worth it even though I should say it felt really really hard! :shock:
And my personal nightmare were the so called "kotitehtävät" = Homeworks! Read, repeat the verbs, write small essays. :shock:
Ok, I don't care anymore, I've learnt sooo much from it that I would do it again and again. :wink:

Zs00zsa

Post by Zs00zsa » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:16 pm

,|,,
Last edited by Zs00zsa on Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

De saggitis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine.

meenfreem

Post by meenfreem » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:35 pm

the 'foreigners' työvoimatoimisto is great! They're a real help... eventhough they referred me to another office straight away, any time I needed help and couldn't/didn't get it from my office, they always helped out where they could! A definate help! They got me enrolled in the integration plan straight away! Then 'my' office started with the paperwork and finding excuses why they shouldn't pay me... but when I got stuck with my office, the 'foreigner's office helped me regardless!

Lau

Post by Lau » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:14 pm

Zs00zsa wrote:And how much did this MAMU course pay to you, if so?
I'm not sure, cannot remember anymore :(
Not much anyway something about 500 euros, maybe? I remember I had a bank account and KELA would send the money straight away in there. Ask the office clerk, I see you live in Helsinki, maybe it's the same amount of money?!

Nat

Language courses in Helsinki

Post by Nat » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:52 pm

Hei hei James,

It seems that we are both going through the same experience. I moved in Helsinki to live with my Finnish boyfriend and I am looking for a job too and... what a surprise, this is definitly tough ! :?

I cannot help you that much in job hunting but I may give you some advice for the language courses : the cultural office Caisa (Mikonkatu 17C) proposes some Finnish courses for foreigners for FREE :) (the only condition is to live in Helsinki) ! The next session should start in january and the timetable should be available on their website http://kulttuuri.hel.fi/caisa/index_en.html at the beginning of december. During the autumn term, each basic course was 8 hours/week during 4 months.

I think it is worth trying it and until it starts, I try to learn some Finnish by working with textbooks borrowed from the city library... not easy but you always catch some vocabulary :wink:

Good luck ! Näkemiin !

Sausagedog

Post by Sausagedog » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:39 pm

There are some other employment services listed at
http://expat-finland.com/employment/emp ... vices.html , and language course info (including some free and online ones) at
http://expat-finland.com/finlandising/l ... ining.html

80)