Looking to eventually move to Finland...

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
harmaa

Post by harmaa » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:57 am

- permanently.

I'm a 22 year old female American, no college education but graduated high school (so 12 years schooling), and only retail job experience. I've lived in Finland before, off and on for about 3 years, but did not attend enough language classes and therefore cannot speak the language. :/

I'm wondering what I should do first to heighten my chances of actually being able to get a permit and live in Finland again eventually. Should I go to school and get some sort of degree? Or is work experience preferred? And what types? I'm an artist at heart and good with computers.

I currently live in Chicago and haven't had any luck with finding language classes - but am currently working six days a week and haven't had the chance to really look around thoroughly. I know that I'd like to have a MUCH firmer grasp of the language before moving - as I'd be living on my own and have to get around by myself.

Any suggestions? I sound like a pretty crappy addition to the country, I know... but I really love it there.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

DAL

Post by DAL » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:42 am

I went to the Unv of Helsinki with my American high school diploma, they laughed and said it looked pretty but was useless. SOOOO I eventually came back to the states to get a degree. With no credentialed skill set and no relatives in Finland I imagine you would have a tough time getting a permit and a job would be highly unlikely as it seems (great exaggeration here) that garbage haulers have a minimum 4 year degree and speak 3 languages.

As for linguistics in Chicago, ahhh Chicago love the place. Ikea in Schaumburg may have something listed on their bulletin board.

I found this as well.

ILLINOIS

CHICAGO
Finnish-American Society of the Midwest, Finlandia Foundation Chapter• News and information: Lois Lescelius, newsletter editor, 412 Huntington Lane, Elmhurst, IL 60126-3650. Tel. (630) 833-8511, fax (630) 833-8511, e-mail: [email protected]
Scandinavian Club, Arlington Heights. information: (630) 584-1684

Center for Scandinavian Studies, North Park University, 3225 West Foster Ave, Chicago, IL 60625. Tel (773) 244-5592

I also know that UW – Madison has a good Finnish program as does the U of Indiana.

I am not saying you can’t move to Finland without a credentialed skill set, but it will be very hard. Good Luck
Dustin

I have nothing witty to say

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:32 pm

You can always try applying to the polytechnics.

- getting in depends a bit; sometimes material needs to be read, usually its a psych test+interview, maybe maths aptitude... depends (an English test is required for the English degree programmes :wink: )
- you get a "free" bachelor's degree in 3- 4 years
- theres English programmes so your lingo skills at first don't matter as much
- you can study Finnish as much as you want then
- you get the necessary connections (like the hawt blonde) and a chance of finding a job
- you then get a polytechnic paper (you get from Helsinki uni the verdict it looks nice but you can also go wipe your butt with it), but you have a degree - you even can do a double degree with some Uni's in say the UK and continue there for masters... doors open to the EU

http://www.edu.fi/koulut/ammattikorkeakoulut.html
=> links to homepages. different schools offer different flair of studies.
for computers - helia
for restaurant stuff - haaga
for engineering - evtek, arcada or helsinki
etc.etc.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

harmaa

Post by harmaa » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:06 pm

- you get the necessary connections (like the hawt blonde) and a chance of finding a job
I already did that one, but the hot blonde turned out to be a cheating bitch.

I'll see about polytechnics...

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:26 pm

harmaa

I checked your profile and saw that you like harsh music.

Listen to "Veriura" ( Blood Track ) performed by "Ruoska" ( Scourge ) :

http://www.koshiyoka.biz/ruoska/ruoska_ ... 192bps.mp3

My first impression of this song was not so good but I gave it a chance and the song got much better after a slightly irritating start.

DAL

Post by DAL » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:52 pm

One other thing you can do, is apply to the University of Helsinki for the English Lit program, as a native speaker I was told it is much easier to enter that program, that was over 5 years ago but may be the same. Of course that means that you are relegated to being a poet or an english teacher. :D

I also remember a day adult Finnish High school in Helsinki that you could attend, hmmmm high school all over again, with a twist, much harder than an American high school.
Dustin

I have nothing witty to say

harmaa

Post by harmaa » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:47 am

DAL wrote: I also remember a day adult Finnish High school in Helsinki that you could attend, hmmmm high school all over again, with a twist, much harder than an American high school.
That would actually be good. I'd like to be in a school that made me smarter, unlike American schools (where the students typically forget most of what they learned once they're out).

harmaa

Post by harmaa » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:48 am

kalmisto wrote:harmaa

I checked your profile and saw that you like harsh music.

Listen to "Veriura" ( Blood Track ) performed by "Ruoska" ( Scourge ) :

http://www.koshiyoka.biz/ruoska/ruoska_ ... 192bps.mp3

My first impression of this song was not so good but I gave it a chance and the song got much better after a slightly irritating start.
Ha ha ha, it sounds like a Finnish Rammstein! I tend to like stuff that's weirder/darker than this, but it does get a lot better after the opening bit. Thanks.