Moving to Finland from Ireland soon and need HELP!!!!!!

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
craiced

Post by craiced » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:35 pm

I will be moving to Helsinki in a couple weeks from Ireland and i have seen posted some where in the archives here "get your E303 sorted". Could somebody please tell me what this is before i chew through my desk with worry?

Any other advice would also be more than welcome it would proabably save my life because i have done little planning and preparation. Mainly due to my own stupid notion of dont worry it will all work out in the end and the fact I am stuck in the arse end of nowhere......

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:08 pm

E303 you get from a Job Centre in UK.
There should be an equivalent office in Ireland..
Where you go if you are un-employed.

"To get another EEA country's unemployment benefit in the UK (or where-ever), you will need form E303. Ask for it in the country you are about to leave. e.g Ireland.

Make sure that you do everything that you need to do to follow the rules before you leave. If you do not, you may lose benefit.

Give form E303 to the office at which you claim benefit in the UK(or Where ever). But note that some countries will not give you form E303. Instead they will send it direct to The Pension Service. "

You need this form when you check in to the Finnish equivalent called KELA.
UK Info:
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/sa2 ... its_01.asp
Finland:
http://193.209.217.5/in/internet/english.nsf

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:26 pm

The 303 is relevant only if you are currently on the dole in Ireland, unemployable and are coming to Finland as a "jobseeker seeking work".

I'd be more worrying about having the European Health Insurance Card at hand, as it has replaced the E111, E119 and E128.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: Moving to Finland from Ireland soon and need HELP!!!!!!

Post by Hank W. » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:30 pm

craiced wrote:Any other advice would also be more than welcome it would proabably save my life because i have done little planning and preparation.
So what do you imagine to be doing in Finland then? Got a job? Got a house? Got money? Speak Finnish?

OK, let me guess... "met a hot blonde, coming with ryanair, are there any english-speaking jobs in Nowheremäki fixing bathroom carpets?"
Cheers, Hank W.

craiced

Post by craiced » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:46 pm

Thanks guys. I am currently working but obviously will be coming as a jobseeker. I guess i will probably be going going to Kela to try to get on the dole if i dont find a job in about the first month. So most likely I will be making that trip.

Honestly i dont care what i do. I have experience in alot of different areas: forklift driving. network technical support, installing wide area wirless networks, rigging and of course the obligatory bar work and even a brief stint in a kitchen doing summer work as a teenager.

I am hoping that maybe one of these will stand to me. Hoping but not very optimistic.

Any advice on what the first thing i should do when i get there is?

craiced

Re: Moving to Finland from Ireland soon and need HELP!!!!!!

Post by craiced » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:54 pm

Hank W. wrote:]OK, let me guess... "met a hot blonde, coming with ryanair, are there any english-speaking jobs in Nowheremäki fixing bathroom carpets?"
Nope. Met some finnish people staying in Ireland last year visited them in the summer. I was planning on going to Oz or USA and thought Finland would be more of a challenge. I am not expecting to be able to speak finnish in 5 minutes and probably not even 5 years (if i last that long). I just wanted to take the chance.
Last edited by craiced on Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

acwan

Post by acwan » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:58 pm

craiced wrote:Any advice on what the first thing i should do when i get there is?
I dunno - pray? :lol:

Best of luck to you :thumbsup:

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:01 pm

craiced wrote: Any advice on what the first thing i should do when i get there is?
How about a few facts --
Where are you going to live?
Do you have any qualifications?
The dole money in Finland will not allow you to enjoy a social life so hope you have "independent means of support!"
We can guess that you dont speak Finnish..so that would be a good first option.
By the way do you know that it is winter here..and what that means?
Minus 20C is not uncommon and minus 30C can be expected.
Weather forecast for tonight adds storm winds to gales plus driving snow to that equation.

In the mean time check out all of the info here:

http://www...com/sauna/viewforum.php?f=20

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:06 pm

craiced wrote: I guess i will probably be going going to Kela to try to get on the dole if i dont find a job in about the first month.
What makes you think you'd be eligible for the dole in Finland? Apart from which its 3 months quarantine so better register at the employment office immediately, they might let you on the integration allowance.

Finding a job in a month is a challenge. That is - even if you're not picky. Problem is - the employers are. However something like this always pops up
http://www.mol.fi/Tyovoimapalvelut/Paik ... 97191.html

(of course if you don't understand the ad then you're prospects of finding a job diminish exponentially)

So basically you'd need to get your ass on a Finnish course ASAP as well. Theres been a few links to restaurant extra services that hire dishwashers etc.. that'll keep you running atleast.
Cheers, Hank W.

craiced

Post by craiced » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:14 pm

I have a place to stay for 2-3 months then after that i have to find a place to live. I have a computing degree and some varied experience with that.

I have experienced some pretty rough winters in america though i think -20 was the coldest it got. As for money i have enough so that i could get by in Dublin for about 4 months if i stretch it out as far as i could see from the tim i was in Helsinki I would put Dublin as marginally more expensive. Maybe i can survive.

Although i am beginning to see my expectations of being voted president by the end of the year may be a little ambitious?

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:15 pm

Hank W. wrote:
craiced wrote: I guess i will probably be going going to Kela to try to get on the dole if i dont find a job in about the first month.
What makes you think you'd be eligible for the dole in Finland? Apart from which its 3 months quarantine so better register at the employment office immediately, they might let you on the integration allowance.
What Hank means is that in Finland being out of work because you quit or were fired means "no dole for three months".
One only gets dole in the first month of un-employment if you were made redundant.

He seems to think that if you quit work now and get on the un-employed register in Ireland..the time that you are un-employed in Ireland "might be" subtracted from the needed three months in Finland.
Not sure!!

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:47 pm

craiced wrote: 1:Maybe i can survive.

2: Although i am beginning to see my expectations of being voted president by the end of the year may be a little ambitious?
1: Sure you can..we will help..the social life is controled here.
http://www...com
Hank runs the fun and games department when he not being sarcastic on this BB. He just has this thing about Paddies coming here and stealing Finnish girls...Umm..Hank ...I thought your GF, Fiona came from Cork is that in Ireland or part of Vantaa? :wink:
2. No chance...you need to be a Finn born and breed...most un -fair.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:48 pm

Naah, I mean when he gets off ryanair the next morning to go get his blue card from the employment office. That is, if he'll be registered as he got no 'henkilötunnus' but thats another story.

The thing is I think you need to be registered at the An Roinn Gnothaí Sóisialacha agus Teaghlaigh for a while before you can apply for the E303 transfer. There is a need for someone to be going to ask there how the E303 works, and how the benefits is transferred as expecting to get dole in Finland just by popping up is about as probable as to getting the flying pig at Dublin airport to say oink.
Last edited by Hank W. on Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.

craiced

Post by craiced » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:55 pm

Actually I think Hank should check with his GF, Cork or as the locals like to call it "The Peoples Republic of Cork" is a seperate entity and law unto itself. I know a few people from Cork and i am not too sure that they are even speaking English most of the time.

I am really getting that sinking feeling but hey its worth a try and if all else fails i will stick a bicycle up on my bedroom wall and open it as an Irish bar :lol:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:05 pm

Ok, here we go:

http://www.welfare.ie/foi/ub_unempben.html#part9

(c) Transfer of Benefit - Article 69

Under this Article a person who has been in receipt of UB in one of the European countries for at least 4 weeks, may transfer this benefit to one of the other European countries for a maximum of 13 weeks (78 days), provided the person is seeking employment in that country. The person registers as unemployed in the country to which s/he travels, and the local social services office pays the benefit, subsequently recouping it from the home country.
(d) Outgoing cases from Ireland

A person in receipt of Irish UB may transfer the UB claim to one of the European countries for up to 13 weeks (78 days). If s/he has claimed less than 4 weeks UB before the date of their departure, s/he may still be permitted to transfer on production of a letter from FÁS confirming that s/he is unlikely to secure full-time employment in this country in the foreseeable future. The form E303 must be completed by the local office with details of rates of payment etc. The claimant takes this form to the social services office of the country to which they are travelling.

EU Records section should be contacted for further details of the procedures to be followed in such cases.

So you better start sweettalking someone at FAS, as:

(b) Voluntarily left employment

A person may be disqualified for receiving UB for up to 9 weeks from date of leaving employment if s/he has left the employment voluntarily and without just cause.

Just like in Finland.

Cheers, Hank W.