Help please on Moving to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
JasonS

Post by JasonS » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:16 pm

penelope wrote: Wait till she has to start paying for disposal nappies.
AFAIK nappies/diapers and baby food are cheaper in Finland than in the rest of Europe. From our experience the financial burden of raising babies/pre-schoolers is much less in Finland than it is in the UK.

and don't forget the äitiyspakkaus freebie too! worth a good few hundred euros(link) http://193.209.217.5/in/internet/suomi. ... enDocument

½Image½Image

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

scoobymcdoo

Post by scoobymcdoo » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:12 pm

We did a quick check of the prices of nappies/baby food etc before we left and found, once we were here, that it is again a lot cheaper than the UK.
The äitiyspakkaus is fantastic...far better than the one free nappy and mini samples you get in your Bounty pack (if you get one)!

Each month in the UK, our heating bill was £55, I cant remember what we paid for our water bill. Our satellite TV cost us £39 per month in the UK. My biggest extravagance here is my swimming ticket...€4 a swim.

Britain is living up to it's name of 'rip-off britain'.

I am really enjoying living here and would recommend the move to most people.

kim-loves-finland

moving to finland

Post by kim-loves-finland » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:48 pm

you should check out nationmaster.com - lots and lots of interesting facts, and some quite funny too!
i'd like to taste your taco

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:52 pm

scoobymcdoo wrote:Hiya
Petrol is slightly cheaper than UK (not much in it though).
Public transport is excellent where we are, it is cheap and reliable (if you are comparing to the UK)
Salary wise, we swapped pounds for Euros and went to one salary (me not working). We are surviving really easily.
Drinks in bars are nothing more than you'd pay in London.
Alcohol in shops is comparable...good selections of wine at our Alko (state run offies)
We have a company car which we pay tax on (likie UK). Cant help you with regard to importing cars/buying cars, do a search on this site and there is loads of info.
Cars are LHD- took a few drives to realise that I couldn't change gear by winding down the window! Speed limits are much slower than UK- motorways are 80 or 100km/h
Weather is not a problem...you acclimatise really quickly. I love the snow and the cold...minus 5 does not feel cold any more.
We've rented out our house in the UK and rent here. We have found rent much cheaper here with none of the hidden extras like huge council tax, water, gas, electricity etc.
Mobile phone rental is much cheaper as are calls, I used to pay £18 per month just to have a phone, here I pay 3 euros a month!
Its a good country...apply for the job and enjoy the experience!
HTH- these are just my opinions that I have formed in the last 9 weeks, others may disagree with me!

Hannah
A small point, but I'll mention it anyway. Motorway speed-limits - and those on many other major roads - are seasonal. In other words, the limits are reduced between roughly November and March/April to take account of perfectly normal road conditions that you in Britain would associate with "icy roads cause chaos and massive pile-ups".

Most "non-urban motorways" will have a speed limit of 120km/h in the summer months (slightly HIGHER than the UK 70mph), but this drops to 100km/h in the winter months. Roads pegged at 100km/h will often (but not always) drop to 80 km/h. When you've driven behind a sixteen-wheeler in a powder-blizzard on somewhat rutted roads - it's the studded tyres that do it, and the asphalt suppliers LOVE it - with about four inches of snow under your tyres, you'll see the wisdom in dropping the limits.

You can usually squeeze an extra 10% out of the limits before you'll get stopped, especially if conditions are not life-threatening out there, but the BIG difference is that if you DO get nicked for speeding, you'll be crying for Mummy. This is because speeding fines here are income-linked, leading to some slightly ludicrous situations with options millionaires or ice-hockey jocks that make the silly papers abroad.

The odd thing is that most Finns do not actually MIND this arrangement - they seem to find the intensely egalitarian "pay according to your means" approach in tune with their way of thinking. Most ex-pats find it hard to understand (see threads here passim).

Best things about Finland: 1 and a half times the size of the UK, one-tenth of the population. Room to move. And you don't get traffic jams caused by paranoid parents picking their kids up from school so they don't get grabbed by the bogey-man. Just bung 'em on the bus.

Thirty worst things about Finland: Every day of November. Book your trip south NOW.

Preferably before you come.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:18 pm

Did you say Raisio!?

I have been to Raisio a couple of times, though it was about 7 years ago when I was living in Turku.

There was a sign upon entering.. in English... "Welcome to Raisio! The Town of Today"

It wasn't.

Unless you are eager to move to utter sub-suburbia where English is considered an exotic language and both the pubs double as petrol stations, I'd really give Raisio a second thought.

Though, on the other hand, they do make a lot of margarine in Raisio.

Just my .02 euro.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:31 am

"Lahti - Business City" used to bee coined into "Lahti - Pisnes Kituu"
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.