Hyvää payvää from Mexico again.

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
meksikosuomen

Post by meksikosuomen » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:11 am

Caroline wrote:Meksikosuomen: It's great that you are exploring options to live and work abroad, but as you've chosen Finland you're making a big challenge for yourself."""""

""""........I can see what they meant and these days I am thinking that maybe I should have listened to them. .........""""

"""".........However, any foreign experience is valuable in one way or another.......""""

""""".........I think what most people are trying to say is that if you should go for it if you really want it, but if it turns out to be more difficult than you expected (either the bureaucracy or culture shock); don't say we didn't warn you :wink:
............""""""

Of course im absolutely agree with the ""big challenge for my self"" and after days and days of reading the forum, i finally catch the idea. :idea:

I have always supossed that i have the ability of hearing for another people advice, that have saved me of making lots of mistakes in my life, :?: and if there are lots of foreigners actually living in Finland, who tells me over and over again that is hard to do it, im not as stubborn such as for ignore their advice. :wink:

I think an experience like that is always a priceless experience, it prove your capabilities and put your determination to the limit "in one way or another" :wink:

where does determionation, confidence and faith ends, and begins the foolishness and nonsense??i dont know,,, do any body have an idea?? I can choose both of this ways: I can just throw away my idea and and say good bye forever to my wish, thats a silly way i think,, and only a looser can think like that, the other way is like everybody say: Planning a kind of "expeditionary visit" using almost the complete tourist 90 legal days, and not even being loadged in a five stars hotel, but meeting or "facing"in person the real daily life in Finland((and if its in winter, even better dont you think?), and after that, i would be more in the situation of decide if i like it or not,, and say: ""damn i tried"" 8)

""Mynna tachton gemasti spuhu somen gelen muta emyna dayda""

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

meksikosuomen

Post by meksikosuomen » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:31 am

Hank W. wrote:
Yes, i am imagining in going with boiling water to try and get the car locks defrosted and then shovelling a meter of snow away. Cozumel anytime :D

sorry for my sillyness Hank, but,, how can i attach a pic for you?? I will send you one from cozumel,, i would like to send you one from where i live, but this place is far to be a paradise, and the damn pollution, dust, and the dry warm air makes me think im in a Dante´s divine comedy :shock:

meksikosuomen

Post by meksikosuomen » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:45 am

.......I didn't mean to squash your dreams of coming to Finland! If I were you I'd fly up here and just check it out. I did that for 6 months off and on before I moved here Good luck and I hope you can follow your dreams! ........
Thank you Kat, i´ll do it in that way!!!

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:49 am

meksikosuomen wrote: where does determionation, confidence and faith ends, and begins the foolishness and nonsense??i dont know,,, do any body have an idea??

Good question. There are always 2 ways of looking at a situation. I think it's actually both from the beginning, depending on who you talk to. I mean maybe determination, confidence, and faith are the same as foolishness and nonsense all of the time. Sometimes I feel it is that way myself.

One thing though: you mentioned that you have connections somewhere in the EU...was it Spain? (I can't see the first posts when replying) I'd recommend, definitely go where your connections are if possible. Unless you come into Finland as a student (which may be the only way to get a residency visa anyway), it will take years to establish the necessary contacts to find work and create a social network. Finland is a very "tight" society in that way. But if you have your "home base" in an EU country where the climate is much nicer, there is no language barrier or fewer cultural differences, and you know people, then you can "test out" Finland and see if it is really what you expected.

Good luck!
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:17 am

meksikosuomen wrote:sorry for my sillyness Hank, but,, how can i attach a pic for you?? I will send you one from cozumel
I have a load from there.
ImageImage

See... NO SNOW! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:13 am

Hank W. wrote:
meksikosuomen wrote:sorry for my sillyness Hank, but,, how can i attach a pic for you?? I will send you one from cozumel
I have a load from there.

I think he is asking for help in html code to add an image..

I know the code is open square brackets..img.. close square brackets.. add image's http locations.. open Sq brackets..img.. close sq brackets etc..but I dont know how he can post the http location of his own images..unless he has it on a www site.. :?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:50 am

Yes, one has to upload them first to somewhere public. Theres free places for that, though some sites discourage hotlinking. I can host some pics if someone has a desperate necessity.
Cheers, Hank W.

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:11 am

meksikosuomen wrote:
.......I didn't mean to squash your dreams of coming to Finland! If I were you I'd fly up here and just check it out. I did that for 6 months off and on before I moved here Good luck and I hope you can follow your dreams! ........
Thank you Kat, i´ll do it in that way!!!
Okay good luck! :)

Kat

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:03 am

mookoo wrote: American doesn't have any jobs, because America sends them all to other countries

The unemployment problem is much worse in Finland than it is in the U.S. I mean, if one is comparing a ghost-town somewhere in the desert in the U.S. to Helsinki or.....well, to Helsinki, then it may actually seem like Finland is a land of opportunity.

Production is only one part of the economy; there are a lot of jobs that can't be sent to other countries. And even in that sense, Finland is doing the same thing- production is going to cheaper countries such as Russia and Estonia.
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:35 am

Caroline wrote:
mookoo wrote: American doesn't have any jobs, because America sends them all to other countries
The unemployment problem is much worse in Finland than it is in the U.S. I mean, if one is comparing a ghost-town somewhere in the desert in the U.S. to Helsinki or.....well, to Helsinki, then it may actually seem like Finland is a land of opportunity.

Production is only one part of the economy; there are a lot of jobs that can't be sent to other countries. And even in that sense, Finland is doing the same thing- production is going to cheaper countries such as Russia and Estonia.
Well, if you look only at unemployment rates as a sign of which country is more "prosperous", sure USA looks like a sure bet right? But I think its more important to look at how many quality jobs you have in each country. Sure, just about anyone can find a job at McDonalds or Walmart, but at $7.50 an hour ... its not exactly putting much food on the table ... if you can even afford a table. So to put it another way, I think you have a much better chance of finding a quality job in Finland. But thats just the way it looks to me coming from where I lived in Kansas (completely dead job market) to Seinäjoki where everything looks nice, theres no "ghetto" and I am not stepping over 12 homeless people when I walk downtown. And, even if you have a low paying job or no job in Finland, you are still taken care of much better than in the US. In fact, I would make more money here under unemployment benefits than I made at my job back in the states. But, like I said ... its just my life, and my opinion and how the world looks through my rosey colored lenses.

Majava

Post by Majava » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:34 pm

mookoo wrote:In fact, I would make more money here under unemployment benefits than I made at my job back in the states. But, like I said ... its just my life, and my opinion and how the world looks through my rosey colored lenses.
Are you saying that you earned less than € 3,70 per hour (before taxes!!) back in the States :?: Because that is what the unemployment benefit is in Finland.
"Remember-you can't beam through a force field. So, don't try it. "(James T. Kirk)

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:27 pm

Majava wrote:
mookoo wrote:In fact, I would make more money here under unemployment benefits than I made at my job back in the states. But, like I said ... its just my life, and my opinion and how the world looks through my rosey colored lenses.
Are you saying that you earned less than € 3,70 per hour (before taxes!!) back in the States :?: Because that is what the unemployment benefit is in Finland.
I am guessing you are getting this magical 3,70 per hour based on a 40 hour work week? America frowns upon full-time positions (that costs extra money in benefits ... and American companies would rather have people die than to pay health insurance) and so my hours were part-time and held unbelievably low sometimes (sometimes under 10 hours per week). Its a common complaint that I heard almost every day in the US "they don't let me have enough hours at work". So, on average ... I guess I did make less than that. :!:

neil

Post by neil » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:54 pm

God Bless America :lol:
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:55 pm

They don't let me have enough hours at work - now whats this talk about no holidays then?
Cheers, Hank W.

Majava

Post by Majava » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:20 pm

mookoo wrote:I am guessing you are getting this magical 3,70 per hour based on a 40 hour work week?
It's not my calculation, hon, it's how työ(tön)voima(ton)toimisto is seeing it if you are unemployed. You are a full-time job seeker, no matter if you desire a part time job. And when the government's labour committee is getting what it proposed one month ago, long term unemployed will be forced to work starting next year. For 40 hours per week and for € 3,70 per hour! Who needs cheap labour from Eastern Europe? :?
"Remember-you can't beam through a force field. So, don't try it. "(James T. Kirk)