Ferries and Dogs

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Laurade

Ferries and Dogs

Post by Laurade » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:42 pm

Has anyone seen dogs on a ferry to Finland? I know it's possible, I saw on the Superfast homepage that it costs €80, they just didn't go into any more detail on the subject. I've written them asking, but thought this might be faster :lol:
I'm mainly worried about if she will be confined to a crate the entire 21 hours it takes from Rostock to Hanko.. and what to do if she has to go to the bathroom! :?:
Any ideas? Thanks for your help

Ferries and Dogs

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

dreamer

Post by dreamer » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:07 pm

I've seen dogs on the Stockholm - Helsinki ferries and there were special places reserved on the deck for their "bathroom" needs. But I've never been on the Rostock - Hanko ferry, so have no clue about those, sorry.

Majava

Post by Majava » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:40 pm

What dreamer says, plus that your dog does not need to be in a cage during the travel, but with you in your cabin. That's why you pay extra: It's a cabin for pet owners. You can walk anywhere but into the restaurants with your dog Be sure to train your dog to pee in a small sandbox while an 8-beaufort storm is blowing... :wink:
"Remember-you can't beam through a force field. So, don't try it. "(James T. Kirk)

Keke

Post by Keke » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:40 pm

I once popped over to Stockholm on the overnight Viking Line ferry. As it happened, it was the day after the Helsinki Dog Show.

There must have been over a hundred dogs on board, probably returning home to Sweden after the competition. It was quite an amusing sight as they were out for their morning walks with their owners on deck as we arrived in Stockholm! As I remember, there were 'dog loos' strategically placed on deck.

As the earlier post said, this was the Stockholm route and not the German route, though.

Titta

Post by Titta » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:21 pm

My dog came on the ferry in october from Germany to Hanko on the Superfast. I wasn't on the ferry myself (friend brought her) all I know she wasn't much in the "kennel" and ate very well etc. Sound as they had a ball :) as much as you can have a ball with a dog.