Do I really have to learn finnish to apply for citizenship?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:53 pm

Ah, the "dragon lady" Eila Kännö - but she was reportedly called a "softie" by her fellow workers.

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

haahatus

Post by haahatus » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:35 pm

Why dont you just keep your old citzenship? Or not get a Finnish one? What use is it to you? It's going fine without it?

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:01 pm

otyikondo wrote:Can one apply these days after only three years? They ARE getting generous. Perhaps they're hoping to net some ambitious and careless males as cannon fodder.

But what in all seriousness would be the point of taking citizenship of a country where one cannot communicate with 99% of the population?

Hey, remember that some citizenship applicants are women, so the male cannon fodder doesn't really come into the picture :wink:
As far as I know, a foreigner who is married to a Finn can apply for citizenship after 4 years of residency, if s/he has been married for at least 3 years.

For native EU citizens who move to Finland, there may not be much point in becoming naturalized. But for non-EU citizens, it can be beneficial to be able to live and work elsewhere in the EU. It's not so much a question of being a citizen of a particular member country, but rather a citizen of the EU, or I guess that's the way a lot of people look at it these days.
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:33 pm

Caroline wrote:
otyikondo wrote:Can one apply these days after only three years? They ARE getting generous. Perhaps they're hoping to net some ambitious and careless males as cannon fodder.

But what in all seriousness would be the point of taking citizenship of a country where one cannot communicate with 99% of the population?

Hey, remember that some citizenship applicants are women, so the male cannon fodder doesn't really come into the picture :wink:
As far as I know, a foreigner who is married to a Finn can apply for citizenship after 4 years of residency, if s/he has been married for at least 3 years.

For native EU citizens who move to Finland, there may not be much point in becoming naturalized. But for non-EU citizens, it can be beneficial to be able to live and work elsewhere in the EU. It's not so much a question of being a citizen of a particular member country, but rather a citizen of the EU, or I guess that's the way a lot of people look at it these days.
Let's put it another way, more bluntly, and ask what joy would the country of choice get out of naturalising people who don't speak the lingo above Haivah Pie-vah (sic)?

At least the Finns don't make you put your hand on your chest and swear allegiance. But they do kind of expect you to be able to avoid getting yourself bought and sold in the market. Especially if they feel - as they might - that naturalisation is merely a handy vehicle to allow hassle-free residence in a larger region.

Ema

Post by Ema » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:37 am

As a non-EU citizen, I agree that life is much eaiser with EU citizenship. Last time I had an urgent matter of my teeth, I went to terveyskekus, the doctor asked if I am a student here or a citizen, I said that I am working here, then he just did some simple check and told me to go to private clinic. I was very surprised 'Cause I pay TAX too!!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:47 am

Feh, nobody working goes to the county clinic. Urgent = first date in 8 months.
Cheers, Hank W.

Ema

Post by Ema » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:16 am

I don't agree. Isn't country clinic suppose to be the place where you get good service, if not, what's the high tax in title of ?!

By the way, will it be different if I went to the hospital not the country clinic. Aren't they the same?

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:29 am

otyikondo wrote:
Caroline wrote:

Let's put it another way, more bluntly, and ask what joy would the country of choice get out of naturalising people who don't speak the lingo above Haivah Pie-vah (sic)?

At least the Finns don't make you put your hand on your chest and swear allegiance. But they do kind of expect you to be able to avoid getting yourself bought and sold in the market. Especially if they feel - as they might - that naturalisation is merely a handy vehicle to allow hassle-free residence in a larger region.

Ah ok, now I see what you meant.

But the "handy vehicle" thing.....is Finland trying to deny the fact that it is part of a larger region?
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:38 am

Ema wrote:I don't agree. Isn't country clinic suppose to be the place where you get good service, if not, what's the high tax in title of ?!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and how long have you been here?

a) county clinic is the "arvauskeskus" where go people with a lot of time
b) the taxes pay for something else - look at the state treasury they have the budget
By the way, will it be different if I went to the hospital not the country clinic. Aren't they the same?
No, when you go private, even if you go to the same hospital and the same doctor, you get what you pay for.
Cheers, Hank W.

dreamer

Post by dreamer » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:15 am

Ema wrote:As a non-EU citizen, I agree that life is much eaiser with EU citizenship. Last time I had an urgent matter of my teeth, I went to terveyskekus, the doctor asked if I am a student here or a citizen, I said that I am working here, then he just did some simple check and told me to go to private clinic. I was very surprised 'Cause I pay TAX too!!
:shock: do you have a valid KELA card? It doesn't matter if you're working or not, citizen or not, if you are covered by KELA the terveyskekus must serve you! I always go to the public places and have always got very good service. But as Hank said it takes a lot of time to get an appointement, especially in dental clinics.
But are you sure that sending you to the private clinic was a consequence of not beeing a citizen? Maybe he asked just out of curiosity or for conversation purposes?

Ema

Post by Ema » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:49 pm

Well, the doctor clearly told me that if I want to totally cure my teeth, I need to go to private clinic. I think that he knows I have KELA card. Anyway, I went to private clinic eventually and I never been in one public clinic again.

But the KELA card is very good 'Cause I can get about 10-15% discount even in the private clinic.[/quote]

dreamer

Post by dreamer » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:22 pm

I see, but are you sure he sent you to the private clinic for a total cure, and not treated you in the public place, just because you were not a Finnish citizen? I guess that would be illegal since you have a valid kela card.
Or could it be that they were just not able to do that total treatement and could only treat urgent issues?
In dental clinics, especially in Helsinki area, there are big queues and in the end of 2003 I couldn't make any appoinetement for regular check-up in Espoo, they were only treating emergencies. Also read about similar, or even worse, problems in Helsinki.
Doctors often asked me where am I from and what am I doing here and how do I like Finland and stuff like that, but it never affected the treatement it was just conversation.