hello friends

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
marlene

hello friends

Post by marlene » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:07 am

hello:im from honduras and have been in finland now for 4 months. im going to marry my finnish boyfriend but still waiting for a paper that is coming next week.my question is.after marrying my finnish boyfriend and registring in maistratti our marriage when will i have my finnish language course and who or where can i talk about this,. really am confused.its lonely here.have not so many friends and feel lost.no family notn.so youll imagine what coming in winter time was for me.my boyfriend is best and his family is a dream.but i need to study and meet more people so i can develop my language skills and take the test to be able to have citizernchip in some years.i also have 2 children that are coming soon. how soon after being settled here can goverment admit them for family reunion? thanks a lot. hope to hear lot from you.

marlene

hello friends

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

KRannikko

Post by KRannikko » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:28 am

Hi Marlene,

First of all, congratulations on surviving your first winter in Finland! Summer is coming and it really is a lot nicer.

I am currently on a Finnish course, which I got a place on via the employment office so I would recommend trying there first. Speaking Finnish with my husband and his family helps a lot too. I'm afraid I can't answer your question about children but whenever I have had a query like that the people at the maistratti have been very helpful.

A lot of the initial friends I made in Finland are from the Finnish course I attend.

I hope this encourages you, I haven't lived here all that long myself so I am sorry I can't be more helpful. Hope it works out for you,

Kathryn xx :)

karen

Post by karen » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:21 pm

Welcome to Finland!

I can't offer any additional advice, but wanted to greet you. I've been here 8 years and I'm still learning things almost every day.

Karen

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:29 pm

If you do not need to get a job straight away, then I suggest you get to the local work office and enroll for the "Maahanmuuttajakoulutus" course.
It is essentially 'integration into Finnish'. That is you'll be taught the language, and about Finland, All the teaching is don't in Finnish. It starts in October and runs to July, but register early, because th eplaces are limited. You will still be entiled to any benefits you already have.

marlene

hey thanks a lot!

Post by marlene » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:22 am

well i was sure theres was more than me feeling lonely in the past. thanks so much for helping me have a hope and all information given to me.i remind you i live in turku and i will have to study here. thanks friends! regards.
marlene

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:23 am

Hello marlene,

I have also moved to Finland for the same reason (to be married) and also have no friends lol. After you get married I assume you will be applying for residence based on family ties (your husband) and I think you can also apply for the residence permits for your children at the same time (it asks you on the form if you have any children and are you applying for them too ... ). See the UVI website for more details. You should be able to print off the forms from there and go to the police station to apply. For the Finnish classes, there are ones held by the government for job seekers. However, there are also private classes available at most polytechs, adult education centers and universities. I am currently taking a Finnish course at Seinäjoen Aikuiskoulutuskeskus. So you might look on the internet for some schools in the Turku area (or have the boyfriend/husband help you look).