Applying for Permnant Residence?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:09 pm

I'm planning to go visit the folks back home but it corresponds the same time I have to reapply for my residence permit. Should I apply beforehand or should I apply when I get back?

Does anyone have the Immigration number for Vantaa? The phonebook was useless :) lol I have the one for Helsinki but I don't live in it's district. Will I be able to keep my passport to travel with it? Will there be an interview?

Thanks for the info!
Kat

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

karen

Post by karen » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:34 pm

If you are going to be gone when your current visa expires, you should definitely fill in the app and submit everything before you go. They will give your passport back for the trip. If you let your residency lapse at all, I've heard that it starts the entire process over. If you are eligible for permanent status now and don't apply before it expires, you could have to wait the entire period again.

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:34 am

Tadpole'sMommy wrote:If you are going to be gone when your current visa expires, you should definitely fill in the app and submit everything before you go. They will give your passport back for the trip. If you let your residency lapse at all, I've heard that it starts the entire process over. If you are eligible for permanent status now and don't apply before it expires, you could have to wait the entire period again.
Thanks!

You're definitly right! I called today and the price is now 100 euros :) lol AHHHH! That's super expensive. I really hope they use the money to buy more chairs for the Lobby at Vantaa Immigration Station :) lol

Thanks again!:)

Kat

aRabbit

Post by aRabbit » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:50 pm

ilikepeanutbutter wrote:
Tadpole'sMommy wrote:If you are going to be gone when your current visa expires, you should definitely fill in the app and submit everything before you go. They will give your passport back for the trip. If you let your residency lapse at all, I've heard that it starts the entire process over. If you are eligible for permanent status now and don't apply before it expires, you could have to wait the entire period again.
Thanks!

You're definitly right! I called today and the price is now 100 euros :) lol AHHHH! That's super expensive. I really hope they use the money to buy more chairs for the Lobby at Vantaa Immigration Station :) lol

Kat
Similar situation here. The current permit will expire 1.1.06 and me thinking to visit home during Nov.-Dec. Will need to submit the application and stuff before I leave.. Hell 100 €! :o
Reality is when you stop believing, it will not vanish.

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:43 pm

aRabbit wrote:
ilikepeanutbutter wrote:
Thanks!

Kat
Similar situation here. The current permit will expire 1.1.06 and me thinking to visit home during Nov.-Dec. Will need to submit the application and stuff before I leave.. Hell 100 €! :o
It's definitly weird :) lol I wish we could just be lazy :) lol I know! 100 euros! It's insane! :shock: Funny thing she said it will still take 6 months :) lol Wonderful! So where is the extra 70 euros going? :D Last residence was 27 euros :) lol

Kat

aRabbit

Post by aRabbit » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:55 pm

Really? half a year to process? Didn't I read some threads saying that you just need to submit application and stuff maybe a month before the expired date? And it didn't take that long at all? Then again it was last year case. :cry:
Reality is when you stop believing, it will not vanish.

karen

Post by karen » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:20 am

I can't answer that. I was here "illegally" when I got my first permit. The first one definitely took the longest, though. I've only had to deal with the Kilo office and I have no complaints. When I had been here almost 5 years and was renewing my yearly permit, it was they who suggested that I wait until I had my permit for 5 years (all that illegal alien stuff) before they issued it. That way I could get my permanent residency that year rather than waiting another year. I arrived in June, but my paperwork wasn't actually started until September.

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:42 am

EUR 100 !! six months !!
Mine took two weeks and cost EUR 40.
Maybe living in Liminka has different visa requirements... :roll:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:12 am

Dag, you are an EU-person. You are not a peculiar 3rd world citizen known as the non-EU. Besides which you register these days, you don't apply. Applying is for "them others".
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:13 am

aRabbit wrote:Really? half a year to process? Didn't I read some threads saying that you just need to submit application and stuff maybe a month before the expired date? And it didn't take that long at all? Then again it was last year case. :cry:
Yep :) lol Mine have always taken 6 months :) lol No idea why but it always happens! It doesn't really bother me that much since we can keep our passports to travel with. The price is what gets me since I can live on 100 euros groceries for about 1-2 months. (small family)

It can take shorter times I've read about, but I've never gotten that lucky. They always tell me 4 months but last time it was actually about 7 :( I guess they're just swamped down with work and not enough people to help?

Kat

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:16 am

Tadpole'sMommy wrote:I can't answer that. I was here "illegally" when I got my first permit. The first one definitely took the longest, though. I've only had to deal with the Kilo office and I have no complaints. When I had been here almost 5 years and was renewing my yearly permit, it was they who suggested that I wait until I had my permit for 5 years (all that illegal alien stuff) before they issued it. That way I could get my permanent residency that year rather than waiting another year. I arrived in June, but my paperwork wasn't actually started until September.
Whoa! I was in America when I applied and my hubby had to come back home :cry: Didn't make me a happy camper :) Lol My dad would call and ask the Embassy every other week if it was finished yet :) lol I'm really happy they finally changed the law that you can be in Finland when you first apply, tough poo to those of us who had to be apart from our fiancees, spouses though :(

I'm supposed to be applying for my permnant this year, something about a Grandfather Clause? Anywho I hope it's the real thing because I don't want to keep flicking 100 euros to the Immigration Station people every year :D lol

Kat

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:16 am

Hank W. wrote:Dag, you are an EU-person. You are not a peculiar 3rd world citizen known as the non-EU. Besides which you register these days, you don't apply. Applying is for "them others".
Ditto! :) Lol

Kat

karen

Post by karen » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:44 am

ilikepeanutbutter wrote: Whoa! I was in America when I applied and my hubby had to come back home :cry: Didn't make me a happy camper :) Lol My dad would call and ask the Embassy every other week if it was finished yet :) lol I'm really happy they finally changed the law that you can be in Finland when you first apply, tough poo to those of us who had to be apart from our fiancees, spouses though :(

I'm supposed to be applying for my permnant this year, something about a Grandfather Clause? Anywho I hope it's the real thing because I don't want to keep flicking 100 euros to the Immigration Station people every year :D lol

Kat
I was told by the maistraati that she had never heard of anyone getting a permit while in Finland and that I would probably have to leave. I have a friend who came over because her travel date arrived before her visa. She had to go back. Maybe I was just lucky.

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:00 am

Tadpole'sMommy wrote:I was told by the maistraati that she had never heard of anyone getting a permit while in Finland and that I would probably have to leave.
They just changed the Aliens Act late last year so now you can apply while in Finland. Lucky for me, it changed right when I was getting ready to hop over. :wink:

And by the way, I will be getting the decision on my first residence permit tomorrow from the police station. I am guessing my next stop is at KELA for my ID number and card thingy. But, when do I need to stop by the work office? I am still waiting on my school papers to be mailed and I will have to ask for a letter from my previous employer ... but that might take months :roll: Are there any requirements for how soon you have to go there?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:05 am

ilikepeanutbutter wrote: My dad would call and ask the Embassy every other week if it was finished yet
Now y'all listen thar, I don't care its me daughter, shes gwon married anutter man an I ain't lookin at her no moar ya hearin me allright, se eyts too much an I am gwoin bankrupt shes tha respanssabilitah of a Finnisher man now, I am axing y'all who is gwon to giv me mah comensashun fah feeding anotha mans wife undah my roof it ain't fair, I am gwonna write to mah congressman... :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.