Marriage with non-EU

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
hiworld

Marriage with non-EU

Post by hiworld » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi all the lovely people,

I am planning to get married on my tourist visa in Finland. i have visited Finland a few times in these past years, my boyfriend is Finnish and i am cambodian, my questions are as follows:
- Should we stated the purpose of intend to marriage in invitation letter while applying for tourist visa? (note that ill apply through german embassy because no finland embassy in cambodia)
- how long would the marriage registration would take in our case as i am non-eu?
- i plan to apply for residence permit in the same trip but i still want to leave finland and come back in a few month or after residence permit would be granted, do you think there would be an issue?
- if everything success, i plan to bring this marriage certificate to certify in Cambodian Embassy in Paris (because no cambodian embassy in Finland), has anyone done this? any special requirement beside of the marriage certificate from Finland?

Kiitos!

Marriage with non-EU

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rehcenhab

Re: Marriage with non-EU

Post by rehcenhab » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:53 am

hiworld wrote:Hi all the lovely people,

I am planning to get married on my tourist visa in Finland. i have visited Finland a few times in these past years, my boyfriend is Finnish and i am cambodian, my questions are as follows:
- Should we stated the purpose of intend to marriage in invitation letter while applying for tourist visa? (note that ill apply through german embassy because no finland embassy in cambodia)
- how long would the marriage registration would take in our case as i am non-eu?
- i plan to apply for residence permit in the same trip but i still want to leave finland and come back in a few month or after residence permit would be granted, do you think there would be an issue?
- if everything success, i plan to bring this marriage certificate to certify in Cambodian Embassy in Paris (because no cambodian embassy in Finland), has anyone done this? any special requirement beside of the marriage certificate from Finland?

Kiitos!
Hi
We are doing the same way with tourist visa, and we will tell about the marriage in the invitation letter..

Good luck hopefully it will go good for both of us.

bm50
AKA cockney

Post by bm50 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:28 pm

Hi,

Yes good luck both of you but I don't think you will be granted a tourist visa to get married in Finland but let us know how you get on. :)

hiworld

Post by hiworld » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:48 pm

We are doing the same way with tourist visa, and we will tell about the marriage in the invitation letter..

hi good to hear that someone is doing the same way and im not alone. when do you plan to do this? i plan to do it in feb but i hope to apply and submit doc for visa in Nov.

rehcenhab

Post by rehcenhab » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:11 pm

bm50 wrote:Hi,

Yes good luck both of you but I don't think you will be granted a tourist visa to get married in Finland but let us know how you get on. :)

Visa -> Marry -> Residence permit is an acceptable way to do it. It's listed in Migri FAQs.

8. I am in an established intimate relationship with a foreigner who is not an EU citizen or equivalent. May my partner enter Finland with a visa and apply for a residence permit after we marry?

Your partner may enter Finland with a visa, if the conditions for granting one are met, or without a visa, if your partner is exempt from the visa requirement. A Finnish embassy abroad decides whether a visa is granted.
When you have married, your spouse may apply for a residence permit on the basis of marriage or a registered relationship.

http://www.migri.fi/our_services/faq/re ... its/family

rehcenhab

Post by rehcenhab » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:13 pm

hiworld wrote:

hi good to hear that someone is doing the same way and im not alone. when do you plan to do this? i plan to do it in feb but i hope to apply and submit doc for visa in Nov.
We will apply in September..

bm50
AKA cockney

Post by bm50 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi,

Yes but there is no guarantee that the Finnish embassy will grant the visa to enter Finland.

rehcenhab

Post by rehcenhab » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:49 am

it would be interesting to know how many have done it this way tourist visa and marriage..?

bm50
AKA cockney

Post by bm50 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi,
I'm sure many have married this way but Migri does state that a visa maybe granted if all the conditions are met. Did you read the Finnish embassies list of requirements needed when applying for visa? Also they will look at how serious is your relationship, how many times you have met each other in Finland or their country etc. Also remember a tourist visa is for tourism and the visa holder is expected to leave Finland after a certain period, this can cause problems when applying for residence permit. Myself I married in Asia then my wife had no problem to enter Finland.

mexfin18

Post by mexfin18 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:39 pm

rehcenhab wrote:
hiworld wrote:Hi all the lovely people,

Kiitos!
Hi

Hello
we are doing the same way tourist visa and marriage but we tell in the letter i go back home after marriage. That's the truth because I am still in university.
When can I applying for residence permit? Before i go back home or under the visit? What there is more to think and do before and under visit? We have not be long time together and he has visited me only here before.

Moikka :D

hiworld

Post by hiworld » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:57 am

we are doing the same way tourist visa and marriage but we tell in the letter i go back home after marriage. That's the truth because I am still in university.
When can I applying for residence permit? Before i go back home or under the visit? What there is more to think and do before and under visit? We have not be long time together and he has visited me only here before.
Hi Moikka,
Yes thats what i am planning to put in a letter that i intent to get married but will leave the country after my tourist visa end as i have job here too. I also plan to apply for residence permit in the same trip but waiting for the result at my home country. When do you plan to do this? i plan to prepare all docs and apply for visa in November. i will let you know how it goes.

mexfin18

Post by mexfin18 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:21 pm

hiworld wrote:
Hi Moikka,
Yes thats what i am planning to put in a letter that i intent to get married but will leave the country after my tourist visa end as i have job here too. I also plan to apply for residence permit in the same trip but waiting for the result at my home country. When do you plan to do this? i plan to prepare all docs and apply for visa in November. i will let you know how it goes.

HI
Late September or early October applying for visa.

hiworld

Post by hiworld » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi Moikka,

So you will apply the visa earlier than me, i would love to hear how it would go

mexfin18

Post by mexfin18 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:05 pm

hiworld wrote:Hi Moikka,

So you will apply the visa earlier than me, i would love to hear how it would go
Hi, I will inform how it will go :D

Tarja2905

Post by Tarja2905 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:48 pm

I came to Finland with tourist visa and got married - I told that I came to get married, the second time I also came with tourist visa and applied for RP. I also have friends who were denied for tourist visa and they also told in the application about marriage plan. So lets say it is 50-50

For more info, I was told by the embassy that if I plan to stay in Finland, I need to apply for rp from my country (even it is said on migri page that I can come to Finland and apply here). So even it is allowed in the law, it looks like it depends on different embassies in different countries or maybe on each officer working on your case. If I were you, I would not tell in the application about the plan of getting married or rp application, just apply for a tourist visa as you did before.

Good luck guys!