Debt and residence permit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
champagnepapi

Post by champagnepapi » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Hello everyone !

I found myself in the tricky situation. I did not pay for my DNA subscription, and now it is in hands of collecting agency. Right now i want to make a residence permit (on the grounds of finding a job after studies), and i think there are 3 possible ways:

1) The Finnish embassy will just reject my application due to unpaid debt
2) The Finnish embassy will issue the residence permit only if i pay the debt and show the proof
3) The Finnish embassy does not know about the debt at all, and i'm just in the DNA's blacklist

It has been a month since i received a subpoena to the district court. However, i did not contact them anyways :D :D

PS - Yeah, i know that i'm a dumbass, and that i should've sorted out my debt before it has gone to the court. The point is - i did not really think that im gonna visit Finland again, until now.

Please, tell me what is likely to happen now ? And could i get a lifetime ban for visiting Finland if i do not pay my debt ? The truth is that i owe money not only to DNA but also Sonera. these mobile and internet subscriptions were too lengthy.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

doomlexia

Re: Debt and residence permit

Post by doomlexia » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 pm

You will be fine. While I was waiting for my 4 year extension, I got a notice about a fine that I had forgotten to pay (riding on the train without a ticket) I paid it but to my knowledge it didn't slow it down any, because they never said anything. Also I know many people who have gotten married here/permits with terrible credit. I even know a guy who get his permit after getting caught shoplifting and doing graffiti. So don't sweat.

champagnepapi

Post by champagnepapi » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:06 pm

doomlexia wrote:You will be fine. While I was waiting for my 4 year extension, I got a notice about a fine that I had forgotten to pay (riding on the train without a ticket) I paid it but to my knowledge it didn't slow it down any, because they never said anything. Also I know many people who have gotten married here/permits with terrible credit. I even know a guy who get his permit after getting caught shoplifting and doing graffiti. So don't sweat.
So you think that the debts will not affect on a decision whether or not to give me residence permit ? I'm applying from abroad though (Russia)

champagnepapi

Post by champagnepapi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:52 pm

I'm receiving mail from the district court saying that i should contact them or visit asap.
what are the consequences of me ignoring it ? Is it gonna end up as a criminal offence ?

doomlexia

Post by doomlexia » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:38 pm

I mean, perhaps if you had some astounding debt in Finland, but otherwise as far as I know, no.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:11 pm

champagnepapi wrote:I'm receiving mail from the district court saying that i should contact them or visit asap.
what are the consequences of me ignoring it ? Is it gonna end up as a criminal offence ?
It will be collected from you through enforcement. There is no Debtors' prison in Finland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debtors%27_prison

You should just pay up the debt to avoid fees and interest.

xmrdzx

Post by xmrdzx » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:42 pm

Hi, how are things now? I'm in a tricky situation just like you.... And I would love to hear some advice from you..

Iamacat

Post by Iamacat » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:36 pm

Me too. How are you now?