EU Right of Residence without address

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
sandrinecharlotte

Post by sandrinecharlotte » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:39 pm

Moikka!

I'm going to be studying at the University of Helsinki in autumn for my masters. I'm a dual French/US citizen, and have been applying for all my documents as a French citizen (cheaper, less bureaucracy). However, I noticed that I can't apply for my EU right of residence without a Finnish address, while if I applied for a residence permit I don't need an address. Applying for either leads to getting the henkilötunnus, which I need to get an apartment. So I have several questions:
-For EU citizens who've moved to Finland without having a place to stay, how did you get past this?
-Should I cough up the money for the residence permit (about 300 dollars more than the right of residence), then change my nationality in the system once I move to Finland?
-Is there an official entity I can speak to about this? Migri doesn't allow/answer personal messages unfortunately, and the people at my local consulate don't really know how to help me (based in the States at the moment, so I don't imagine they get many non-Finnish EU citizens coming through for advice).

Kiitos!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: EU Right of Residence without address

Post by Upphew » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:03 pm

sandrinecharlotte wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:39 pm
Moikka!

I'm going to be studying at the University of Helsinki in autumn for my masters. I'm a dual French/US citizen, and have been applying for all my documents as a French citizen (cheaper, less bureaucracy). However, I noticed that I can't apply for my EU right of residence without a Finnish address, while if I applied for a residence permit I don't need an address. Applying for either leads to getting the henkilötunnus, which I need to get an apartment. So I have several questions:
-For EU citizens who've moved to Finland without having a place to stay, how did you get past this?
-Should I cough up the money for the residence permit (about 300 dollars more than the right of residence), then change my nationality in the system once I move to Finland?
-Is there an official entity I can speak to about this? Migri doesn't allow/answer personal messages unfortunately, and the people at my local consulate don't really know how to help me (based in the States at the moment, so I don't imagine they get many non-Finnish EU citizens coming through for advice).

Kiitos!
Is the address really mandatory?
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

sandrinecharlotte

Post by sandrinecharlotte » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:30 pm

If I skip over the information, there's a text in red/orange underneath that says that the information is missing. I haven't tried submitting my application as I won't be in Finland until August, but I was hoping to get as much information as I can beforehand.

Like I wrote, I can't contact Migri about this, and I don't really know who else I can turn to.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:57 pm

How have you concluded that you cannot contact Migri about this? They have a phone number dedicated for EU right of residence http://migri.fi/en/telephone-service
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

sandrinecharlotte

Post by sandrinecharlotte » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:31 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:57 pm
How have you concluded that you cannot contact Migri about this? They have a phone number dedicated for EU right of residence http://migri.fi/en/telephone-service
Okay so I can't find where I originally saw that I can't email them, but here (http://migri.fi/en/contact-information) it says:
"Note! The Finnish Immigration Service does not reply to e-mail inquiries. This is to enable us to make rapid decisions on applications. You can send additional information about your pending matter by e-mail, but please remember that you do so at your own risk, since the connection is not secure."

I admit I didn't check to see if calling internationally was possible, as I try to avoid it since I'm still on my parents' mobile plan. If that's the only option though I'll do it, just gotta warn them about the extra charges though I suppose haha.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:02 pm

sandrinecharlotte wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:31 pm
I admit I didn't check to see if calling internationally was possible, as I try to avoid it since I'm still on my parents' mobile plan. If that's the only option though I'll do it, just gotta warn them about the extra charges though I suppose haha.
Use software like Skype. It’s cheaper.

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:17 am

sandrinecharlotte wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:30 pm
If I skip over the information, there's a text in red/orange underneath that says that the information is missing. I haven't tried submitting my application as I won't be in Finland until August, but I was hoping to get as much information as I can beforehand.

Like I wrote, I can't contact Migri about this, and I don't really know who else I can turn to.
Have you tried to fill in the address as:
xxxx
10000 Helsinki
If it is a software glitch at least it could get your application into the next phase.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:31 pm

rinso wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:17 am
Have you tried to fill in the address as:
xxxx
10000 Helsinki
If it is a software glitch at least it could get your application into the next phase.
I would try

Poste Restante
00100 Helsinki

sandrinecharlotte

Post by sandrinecharlotte » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:25 am

rinso wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:17 am
What do you mean by software glitch? The fact that I can't submit the application without the address?

HannahBanana

Post by HannahBanana » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:56 pm

It could be related to the fact that vagrancy was actually illegal in Finland for a very, very long time. So people without a permanent address could basically be arrested for being vagrants, although I seem to remember (somewhat fuzzily) that this has been abolished. Do you have any friends in Finland who would let you use their address? Have you contacted the Uni and asked about housing? If you're only going to stay for 6 months, I think it would be pointless to apply for a RP. We'll be applying for one for my American husband in October and we were told the waiting time is at worst 9 months...

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:41 pm

As an EU citizen you have 3 months after you move here to register. You dont need to do it in advance.

T