Moving to Finland as an American

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Tallasstraveler

Re: Moving to Finland as an American

Post by Tallasstraveler » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:14 pm

Cory wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:24 pm
Tallasstraveler wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:26 am
Upphew wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:02 am
Forget tanning beds and get light therapy lamp if you are affected by SAD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_ ... e_disorder
If the darkness is bad enough, sure, I got used to it after a couple years in Seattle.
:lol: Seattle? Not even close to length of daylight we have in the southern tip of Finland. I'm from just over the border in BC and if I'm "home" at Xmas, it's really like I've traveled to a tropical paradise compared to Xmas here. :flowerhat:
My mistake, I meant the looming, perpetual grey that is Seattle and Portland. The complete darkness I have no experience with. I only meant the constant grey, dull, overcast, no sun, but constant sprinkles and showers. I don’t doubt what you guys tell me. So I’d hope I’m atleast primed to some degree for despressing weather. Instead of a complete cultural and weather shock if I’d come from most anywhere else in the US, save for Alaska lol. BUT, like I said, it’s a process, I’ll learn as I go and heed the advice of others the best I can.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Husoe

Post by Husoe » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:03 pm

Hey, I moved from the USA to Finland in May. My visa took 14 weeks to process which is a long time...
I would suggest you to look for a start-up entrepreneur visa. Create a business plan, save some cash and go from that. That visa takes about 8-9 months to be processed but it might be easier for your case.

good luck!

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:33 pm

Husoe wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:03 pm
Hey, I moved from the USA to Finland in May. My visa took 14 weeks to process which is a long time...
I would suggest you to look for a start-up entrepreneur visa. Create a business plan, save some cash and go from that. That visa takes about 8-9 months to be processed but it might be easier for your case.
In Finnish legislation a visa is for tourists. The correct term is a residence permit.