Crossing border with an infant - which documents are needed?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
_doctor

Post by _doctor » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:33 pm

Hi all

I've got a first kid born lately and never crossed border with her yet :)

I am a Finnish citizen, my wife is Russian, kid has double Finnish-Russian citizenship (and passport and properly translated and apostilled birth certificate). We are likely to travel rather often between Russia and Finland, sometimes together, sometimes just my wife and a kid.

On the Russian side I checked that having just a birth certificate and one parent is enough to cross the border.
Do you know what's the situation on the Finnish side? Is just a birth certificate + one parent enough to cross the border? Or maybe you need some sort of permission from the other one as well?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Crossing border with an infant - which documents are needed?

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:53 pm

_doctor wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:33 pm
I am a Finnish citizen, my wife is Russian, kid has double Finnish-Russian citizenship (and passport and properly translated and apostilled birth certificate). We are likely to travel rather often between Russia and Finland, sometimes together, sometimes just my wife and a kid.

On the Russian side I checked that having just a birth certificate and one parent is enough to cross the border.
Do you know what's the situation on the Finnish side? Is just a birth certificate + one parent enough to cross the border? Or maybe you need some sort of permission from the other one as well?
"In addition to their own valid travel document (passport or ID card), although not obligatory by law, all minors entering or leaving Finland are advised to carry a document showing that they have permission to travel unaccompanied or with someone other than their parents or legal guardian. Minors travelling with at least one parent do not need such a document."

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... dex_en.htm

Joyce88

Post by Joyce88 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:43 pm

She'll only need a valid travel document like passport or ID card if she's crossing the border with at least one parent.

_doctor

Post by _doctor » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:01 am

Thank you guys, things are clear now.