buying a second hand car - update 2018

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Vyborg

Post by Vyborg » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:25 am

Hi, all, I am moving to Finland and want to buy a small/smallish second hand car. The posts on this forum date back to 2012/earlier. Any relevant developments in the second hand car market in the last 6 years? For example:
- In 2018, am I better off buying in Germany, Sweden or the Baltic states and bearing any extra taxes etc?
- how to negotiate with Finnish used car dealers;
- best small cars to buy;
- recommended insurance companies.
Thanks in advance

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: buying a second hand car - update 2018

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:48 am

Pretty much no changes one way or the other. CO2 emissions for new cars are now measured using a different standard, but that doesn't affect used car prices that much. Possible savings from importing depends on what kind of car you want to purchase (features, age, mileage,...), AFAIK Sweden has been somewhat popular lately, due to currency exchange rates. "What's best", obviously there's no absolute best as your preferences play a major role, and with used cars, there's variety in how each individual car has been used and maintained, so you will have to check them case by case. Insurance can usually be had cheaper if also your other insurances are with the same company.

Ultimately only you know what suits best your individual needs.

SkyLinx

Re: buying a second hand car - update 2018

Post by SkyLinx » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Several friends and relatives of mine have purchased used cars from Germany multiple times as they say it can be a lot cheaper. I've always bought from Finland just because it's easier... I usually go to shops again because it's easier but usually you can find cheaper cars from individuals directly I think. I don't know which cars to recommend but re: insurance I'd have a look at Pop.