Moving to Finland to take care of family

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
alesmat1999

Post by alesmat1999 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:48 am

Hello everyone,

I and my spouse are in a rather difficult situation now. We’ve been in a long distance relationship, seeing each other few times a year, for 2 years without a problem. But now I got to know that somewhat she is pregnant, and as she is propably further in the pregnancy, we might be required to keep the child. We are both students, she is in third year of lukio, but would be required to take a fourth year too, and I’m finishing last year of high school together with a matriculation exam.

I would like if you could possible not judge what has happened, and rather focus on solving the case itself.

She is a Finnish citizen, I’m a citizen of Czech republic (EU member).

1.) We would need to prove my paternity of the child. I understood, that there are basicaly 3 ways: marriage, proof before the birth, and proof after birth. Considering later requirements for immigration, which of those would seem the best? I wouldn’t like to be accused of some “marriage fraud”, even though it would propably be the simpliest option.

2.) as an EU member country citizen, I have the right to stay in Finland for 90 days. Then I need to get right of residence registration, and then go to Maistraatti to register myself. Should I base the application on my (propably married) spouse, or the baby (finnish citizen) who’s father will I be? Do I need to get a job before I register myself?

3.) After registration of the right of residence, will I be able to get Kela card and insurance? Also, with the registration, could I get a foreigners ID card from poliisi, or will I need to get a new ID card from my home country (slow, painful and possibly expensive process)?

4.) what is the validity of the right of residence? Do I need to renew it, just like a Residence Permit?

Thank you all very much for your help, it’s not an easy situation for me, but making some sense in the paperwork required would help me out a lot.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Mizu1993

Re: Moving to Finland to take care of family

Post by Mizu1993 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:02 am

I am from Austria, living since August 2017 here. I also moved to Finland because I got pregnant and my boyfriend is finnish. I did all this paperwork, so I can tell you how it went for me. If someone else reads this: This goes for EU citizen, I have no idea if it is different if you are not from EU.

1) Why would you need to prove your paternity of the child? If both of you agree that it is your child and the child of your girlfriend, then you don't need to prove. After the child is born, you will have to go to an office with a translator and sign papers. Though proof before birth is the easiest I think. Proof after birth the second.

2) You don't need a job and first you should go to migri. They will tell you what to do. You have to write a small essay there, why you come to Finland. If it is for family reasons, which it is, this is very easy. If you are not married, I would base the application on the baby. If you are married, then I would add this too. After that, you can go to Maistraatti.

3) You will get a Kela Card, but you have to apply for it in Kela. Insurance will be also within Kela anyway. You can get an ID from poliisi, you don't need an ID from your home country.

4) I have never heard that you have to renew a Residence Permit or the right of residence.

It will be a lot of paper work, especially Kela always wants to have lots of papers.

Oombongo

Re: Moving to Finland to take care of family

Post by Oombongo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:07 am

Mizu1993 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:02 am
1) Why would you need to prove your paternity of the child
It is probably better to have a documented proof specially when married couple are living in different countries. "Things" tend to happen.
Image Image