First RP on Other Grounds (Dating Relationship)

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Sharkbait4

Post by Sharkbait4 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Hi. I will submit my application next week and I need some advise, please! :shock:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

vla

Re: First RP on Other Grounds (Dating Relationship)

Post by vla » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:41 am

How many years have you been living together? Do you know if you satisfy all the requirements?

Sharkbait4

Post by Sharkbait4 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:06 am

vla wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:41 am
How many years have you been living together? Do you know if you satisfy all the requirements?
___

It says on https://enterfinland.fi/eServices/info/residencepermit that:

You cannot apply electronically in the following cases:

> You are a former Finnish citizen or a returnee.
> You are applying for a residence permit on other grounds.
___

On https://migri.fi/en/residence-permit-on-other-grounds:

Residence permit application for other grounds

Apply for a residence permit with this application if you are applying for a residence permit for a reason which is not one of the reasons for which a separate application form exists. Such reasons are an established dating relationship, an intention to get married with a Finnish citizen or becoming a victim of human trafficking. Tourism is not a valid reason.
___

It is more costly since I need to go abroad. On the website of The Consular Office of Finland in Manila, it says:

"The process of applying a residence permit to Finland is changing. Finland is outsourcing the acceptance of residence permit applications in the Philippines to the Application Centre maintained by VFS Global. The Application Centre opens in Manila 4.12.2018. After outsourcing, the Consular Office of Finland in Manila will accept residence permit applications on a limited basis.

Previously, residence permits to Finland have been applied via the Embassy of Finland in Kuala Lumpur. You can make an appointment for a residence permit application there also in the future."
___

Yes, we are not married yet. I have all my assets and my bank account which I will have access to once I am in Finland. Her income won't be considered in this application. I have 17,000€ approx readily available on my bank account (opened way back 2005) and I have a one bedroom flat which I am leasing/renting out as additional income (the flat has just been turned over this year and has been fully paid as well). Migri replied to my e-mail two months ago that it is not required for me to have additional income aside from the 12,000€ (1,000€ per month) that they require but it is allowed. I just want to be financially secured as possible and that I can help my fiancé as much as I can with the expenses. We plan to get married a couple of months after I arrive in Helsinki.

She will be spending Christmas and New Year with me and my family. It is heartbreaking to just be a "Skype couple" and of course, traveling puts a dent on our finances as well.

Also, the reason we haven't been married yet (or at least be in a civil partnership) is because being GAY could land you in jail in the UAE, beheaded, or be deported, and same-sex marriage is not legal here in the Philippines.
Last edited by Sharkbait4 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vla

Post by vla » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:47 pm

I understand your situation but I cannot help you because I don't know this process. I hope you can work it out, my best wishes.

You can remark that in your application, that you cannot get married in your country. I advise you to say that you cannot live outside Finland because of this reason, there should be a question about this in the application.

I had also a long-distance relationship for three years and I know it's hard. Now we have been married for 5 years and have been together for 10 in total. So I wish you the best and be patient with the application!

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Go get married in Canada. A couple I know in a similar situation did that. Neither had any ties to Canada at all and said it was easy.

Sharkbait4

Post by Sharkbait4 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:51 am

Hello! I got an e-mail this morning about the positive decision AND that my Residence Permit Card is already available at the Consular Office of Finland. Six (6) months and five (5) days after my application/biometrics/interview at the Embassy. Four (4) months after my partner sent the supplements. :D

Sharkbait4

Post by Sharkbait4 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:31 am

Update:

From other grounds, I applied for Family Ties RP (my other grounds RP will expire June 2020). I submitted my application via EnterFinland last December 20th. Lucky to come across an early appointment slot (January 31st).

Long story short, I went there Friday (January 31st) for my 10:30 am appointment and got the POSITIVE decision TODAY, Monday (February 3rd).

12/20/2019 We have received the processing fee for your application.
12/20/2019 We have received your application and it is pending.
1/31/2020 You have proved your identity and a diary number has been created for your application. You can see the diary number at the top of the page. Your application has been placed in the processing queue. We will contact you if we need more information from you. Our processing times can be found on our website at www.migri.fi
2/3/2020 A decision has been made on your application.
2/3/2020 The decision can be read on your user account.
2/3/2020 You have received the decision.