Potential move to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
BritKaz

Post by BritKaz » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:16 pm

Hi there,
This is my first post here - I've just been offered the opportunity to take a decent job up in Helsinki and I have a few questions regarding moving over. I'm from UK, and my wife is from Kazakhstan. We've been living in the Middle East for last few years. We have two toddlers as well.

Our main concern/query is about what is the best way to get a residence visa for my wife, and how long would it take? Is it a case of her having to wait a long while to get paperwork approved and stamped, or can she come as a visitor in the interim and stay whilst it is being worked out? My biggest concern is that if she has to wait overseas is that I won't get to see the kids much for an extended period. Can anyone advise of best course of action?

Any advice would be appreciated, as my acceptance of this opportunity is based on how.soon my wife can join me. Thank you for your support!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Potential move to Finland

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:34 am

BritKaz wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:16 pm
Hi there,
This is my first post here - I've just been offered the opportunity to take a decent job up in Helsinki and I have a few questions regarding moving over. I'm from UK, and my wife is from Kazakhstan. We've been living in the Middle East for last few years. We have two toddlers as well.

Our main concern/query is about what is the best way to get a residence visa for my wife, and how long would it take?
A wife of an EU citizen does not need a residence permit. She will register right of residence like EU citizens.
BritKaz wrote:
Is it a case of her having to wait a long while to get paperwork approved and stamped, or can she come as a visitor in the interim and stay whilst it is being worked out? My biggest concern is that if she has to wait overseas is that I won't get to see the kids much for an extended period. Can anyone advise of best course of action?
No waiting abroad is required.

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:14 am

A wife of an EU citizen does not need a residence permit. She will register right of residence like EU citizens.
As the situation stands now, it looks like he will not be an EU citizen for long. So he will need an RP too.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:50 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:34 am
BritKaz wrote:
Hi there,

Our main concern/query is about what is the best way to get a residence visa for my wife, and how long would it take?
BritKaz wrote:
Is it a case of her having to wait a long while to get paperwork approved and stamped, or can she come as a visitor in the interim and stay whilst it is being worked out? My biggest concern is that if she has to wait overseas is that I won't get to see the kids much for an extended period. Can anyone advise of best course of action?
No waiting abroad is required.
Wait a sec... so it's simpler for the spouse of a non-Finnish EU citizen than for the spouse of a Finn? And we spouses of Finns still have to go through the RP process?
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Reina

Post by Reina » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:18 pm

I think you need to apply the RP like the spouses of finns. It is not automatic, of course. If you are not finn, you have to registrate yourself as well.

Look at this link, there are some answers:

https://www.foreigner.fi/articulo/movin ... 00998.html