Customs declaration of personal luggage?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:15 am

Do people usually declare to customs for luggage for moving here first time? I'll only carry a few items, clothes, my PC, monitor, hi-fi speaker, etc. All with me on flight.

There is some exemption on tulli.fi: https://tulli.fi/en/private-persons/mov ... eu-country But I wonder if it'd be a waste of their time since they'd have open my luggage and count everything?

A few appliances have been bought for years but unopened (for a different country) - if I'm to declare, I suppose I'd have to print all the invoices with dates as proof?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Customs declaration of personal luggage?

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:45 pm

agroot wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:15 am
A few appliances have been bought for years but unopened (for a different country) - if I'm to declare, I suppose I'd have to print all the invoices with dates as proof?
"... and you have owned and used your removal goods for at least six months." My layman's guess would be that unopened items do not classify as used. I'd ask Tulli for clarifications if needed.

vla

Post by vla » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:16 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:45 pm
agroot wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:15 am
"... and you have owned and used your removal goods for at least six months." My layman's guess would be that unopened items do not classify as used. I'd ask Tulli for clarifications if needed.
Also, the invoices don't prove anything in the case something is unopened, only that you have bought it (not stolen), you could have bought that for making business for example. The easiest would be open those things so they don't look new. And even so can be difficult to prove they are not new (because they are, after all), since they will look new and won't have any sign of use.

It's hard to understand why you have these things unopened, so you will probably have to pay taxes for them.

agroot

Post by agroot » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:55 am

I see! I don't mind paying tax, just need to prepare cash beforehand (unless they take credit card at customs?). Confirming with them now.

So it's normal to declare luggage yes? Where I come from nobody does that.

vla

Post by vla » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:27 am

agroot wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:55 am
I see! I don't mind paying tax, just need to prepare cash beforehand (unless they take credit card at customs?). Confirming with them now.

So it's normal to declare luggage yes? Where I come from nobody does that.
It's normal when you have unopened/new items. Otherwise no.

In Finland people (almost) don't use cash, customs office is no exception.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:45 pm

Hmm, they replied that exemption will be decided at customs clearance. No definitive answer.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:44 am

Didn't need to fill the form; I went through the line for declaration and showed them the invoices of my unopened/new items. They asked a couple of questions and then done. Maybe the items are too old or of little value.

Very friendly staff! :D