Missing "Paskakaupunki" considering moving back to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:15 am

Hello Finns and expats in Finland: it has been a very long time since I have posted on this forum, but I'm interested in hearing your opinions about the current "vibe" in Finland- would you recommend moving there or not? Are there any former expats on here (from any country) who left Finland "permanently" and have moved or considered moving back?

I'm American and my husband is from Ranua county- if you understood the joke in the subject line, we used to live in Oulu...we lived there together from 2000-2005. We visited there together in '07 and my husband visited solo in 2012. I have a Finnish driver's license and I passed the Finnish language exam to qualify for citizenship. Of course much has changed....we try to keep up with the news as best we can. How do folks feel about the suburbs of Oulunsalo, Kiiminki, Yli-Ii, and Haukipudas merging with the city of Oulu?

We are in our mid-40's, childless, and have lived in New Hampshire, USA for about 14 years...fairly harsh winters here too, so except for the darkness, readjusting to the climate in Finland would not be difficult. We are doing well here- working full time, own a house, etc., but I feel like our fellow local expat Finnish friends are the only thing keeping us here, and even some of them have moved or are in the process of moving back to Finland, for various reasons. My husband loves it here and isn't interested in moving back to Finland yet...maybe some day. The only thing that would motivate him to want to move sooner would be escaping Trump's America. We do not own real estate in Finland. I have kept up my Finnish language practice by studying on my own and speaking Finnish with my husband and our friends. I'm aware that there is currently a center-right government in Finland and a lot of anti-immigrant sentiment. If we move back, Oulu is probably the only city we'd consider....my husband's siblings live there, we were married there, it's the most familiar city to us.

Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Remembah whea ya pahked ya cah!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Missing "Paskakaupunki" considering moving back to Finland

Post by heretostay » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:48 am

There is a very active group of American ex-pats in Oulu that I am aware of. I will send you a PM

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:08 am

Caroline wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:15 am
I'm aware that there is currently a center-right government in Finland and a lot of anti-immigrant sentiment. If we move back, Oulu is probably the only city we'd consider....my husband's siblings live there, we were married there, it's the most familiar city to us.
By comparison to almost anywhere else, the Finnish "right" as sitting in the parliament is pretty left wing. The "sentiment" is about the aftermath of comparatively large influx of refugees in 2015, the impact of which is now being seen and felt, how it was and has been handled, what kind of changes are wanted to prevent it getting even worse. It's not like you (personally) are likely to be harassed on the street because you're an "immigrant".

undertakerfreak

Post by undertakerfreak » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:23 pm

American expat here. Been here since last April. I'd never dream of returning to the US; it's a !"#¤% that I'm ashamed to be a citizen of, quite frankly. I've never been happier since I moved here.

This is a beautiful country that runs comparatively very smoothly to where I come from, and no native Finn should take it for granted.

chaDirector

Post by chaDirector » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:08 pm

heretostay wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:48 am
There is a very active group of American ex-pats in Oulu that I am aware of. I will send you a PM
Heretostay – If you could send me the contact details for that group list, I'd very much appreciate it. Would like to get in touch with them. Thanks.

Cha

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:08 pm

I will send you a private message