Question about Raja policy (American in Finland)

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
aspiringsuomilainen

Post by aspiringsuomilainen » Thu May 16, 2019 9:57 pm

Hello —

I've searched the boards for a previous post about this and have not been able to find any answers. Apologies, though, if I am asking answered questions!

My wife (Finnish) and I (American) have recently moved to Finland. I have a residency permit through marriage pending. On the Raja website, there is a paragraph about travelling to other Schengen countries. My question is: does my time in Finland count against my days in other Schengen countries?
You may travel while waiting for your residence permit. As a visa free national, you can travel to other Schengen states for a maximum of 90 days within any 180 days period as periods of stay authorized under a residence permit shall not be taken into account in the calculation of the duration of stay on the territory of the Member States (Schengen states). In the case that you have used up your visa free time, you can exit the Schengen area directly through Finland and re-enter the Schengen area directly to Finland. Make sure to have with you the certificate of a pending residence permit with you ("todistus vireilläolosta").
I find the language a bit confusing here, as it says that the days in Finland "shall not be taken in account", but I cannot tell if that applies for a pending permit or only once the permit has been granted.

I have to travel to France for work soon, but cannot tell if I will have any problems, as I have been in Finland for more than 90 days out of 180. I would not want to jeopardise my residency permit by violating some kind of Schengen law.

Thank you for any clarification!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Question about Raja policy (American in Finland)

Post by Upphew » Fri May 17, 2019 9:47 am

aspiringsuomilainen wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:57 pm
stay authorized under a residence permit shall not be taken into account in the calculation
I find the language a bit confusing here, as it says that the days in Finland "shall not be taken in account", but I cannot tell if that applies for a pending permit or only once the permit has been granted.

I have to travel to France for work soon, but cannot tell if I will have any problems, as I have been in Finland for more than 90 days out of 180. I would not want to jeopardise my residency permit by violating some kind of Schengen law.
I trimmed your quote, I hope that helps to clarify the language. You can reside here for your hearts content when you have residence permit. Then you can travel 90 days in any 180 days in Schengen area. If you don't have residence permit then you are using the 90 days visa free time. You can wait for your permit here while overstaying your visa free period, we don't mind. Other Schengen countries will mind.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.