CAN MY EU CITIZEN CHILD STUDY BEFORE I REGISTER

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
jessykoi

Post by jessykoi » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:34 pm

Hi all, I'm from Belgium and I'm planning to move to Finland in August this year with my wife and daughter. I am not sure if my 13 year old daughter can immediately join middle school after arrival as I look for job. My plans are to move there and find a job during my the 3 months period that are allowed before registering, and if I would find a job then register. I was asking if anyone knows if my daughter is allowed to attend public/international school in the meantime.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: CAN MY EU CITIZEN CHILD STUDY BEFORE I REGISTER

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:43 pm

jessykoi wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:34 pm
Hi all, I'm from Belgium and I'm planning to move to Finland in August this year with my wife and daughter. I am not sure if my 13 year old daughter can immediately join middle school after arrival as I look for job. My plans are to move there and find a job during my the 3 months period that are allowed before registering, and if I would find a job then register. I was asking if anyone knows if my daughter is allowed to attend public/international school in the meantime.
Access to public schools is based on municipality of residence which requires EU registration. International schools I would research directly from the schools. However, would it really be in her interest to start a school here, if you need to go back to Belgium in case no job is found?

Takurah

Post by Takurah » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:23 pm

Yes your child can go to school right away if you show proof that your registration is being processed and you are waiting on a decision.

jessykoi

Post by jessykoi » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:50 pm

Thank you so much for the information. We have already registered we are awaiting for the decision hoping for a positive response.