Language in the long run

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
sijazme

Language in the long run

Post by sijazme » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:42 am

I speak English and have heard that Finnish is extremely difficult to learn. I would like to one day become a citizen of an EU country so I am looking to choose a country where I can finally achieve this. What level of language proficiency is required to become a Finnish citizen? Will I be struggling with the language for a long time? Someone suggested that Swedish is much easier to learn. Am I better off applying for a resident permit in Sweden?

:(

Language in the long run

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Valinnan vapaus

Re: Language in the long run

Post by Valinnan vapaus » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:26 pm

If you don't feel confident as a language-learner, but know English (as it would appear), a Germanic language such as Swedish/German or really most other languages will pose you less trouble. Sweden is fairly similar to Finland on the whole. Studying Swedish (and no Finnish) to come to Finland is possible but requires you basically to move into a Swedish-speaking area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_n ... pplication

sijazme

Post by sijazme » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:18 pm

My aim is to become a citizen of the country where I am a permanent resident so I must learn the language and pass the test. Finnish is hard and learning Swedish doesn't help me.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:21 am

Well in Sweden there is no language requirement to become a citizen.

vla

Post by vla » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:11 am

sijazme wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:18 pm
My aim is to become a citizen of the country where I am a permanent resident so I must learn the language and pass the test. Finnish is hard and learning Swedish doesn't help me.
What language/s have you already learnt? Knowing this can lead to a better advice.

sijazme

Post by sijazme » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am

I am a native English speaker.

vla

Post by vla » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:10 am

sijazme wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am
I am a native English speaker.
So you have never learnt another language? You only speak english? What about school, don't you learn any languages in school in your country?

Well I guess in that case it would be a little trickier, but not impossible. Finnish is hard but not impossible to learn, it could take more time. If your native language is english maybe swedish or danish could be easier, but life doesn't have to be easy, right? Also spanish is a language that could be easier to learn, or at least easy to get a basic background.

I guess it depends a lot of where you want to live, you said you want to become citizen of the country so I guess the place does not matter to you. What about Ireland? They kind of speak english there.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:12 am

Finland has two official languages, Finnish and Swedish. Most Finns speak Finnish. But you are moving to Ahvenanmaa. It is part of Finland but there is only one official language there, Swedish.

edit. corrected typo
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:12 am

sijazme wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:18 pm
So, are you already permanent resident in Finland ? If that is the case, and citizenship is your ultimate goal, I would suggest you learn Swedish, and even move to Swedish speaking areas only.

sijazme

Post by sijazme » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:26 am

So I can become a Finnish citizen by passing Swedish language exam, is Swedish a language used for citizenship testing?

sijazme

Post by sijazme » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:52 am

https://migri.fi/en/language-skills

Language proficiency certificates

The National Certificate of Language Proficiency (YKI) in Finnish or Swedish completed at level 3 or higher (intermediate level).

Civil Service Language Proficiency Certificate with at least satisfactory oral and written skills in Finnish or Swedish.

Either Finnish or Swedish is fine.