I want to Live in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
paintballsean

Post by paintballsean » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:52 am

Hei kaikki. I just recently got back from visiting Finland and felt a happiness I have never felt in over 10 years. I am a 30 year old male. The plans to marry someone fell through and then I fell in love with a non Finnish guy on a student visa. I am trying to make my way back to Finland to find a way to legally stay there. I am from the United States and am a native English language speaker and looking for jobs that I could get a work visa to reside in Finland. Its hard to find the love of ones life being so far away. I tried to apply for a masters program but am not eligible as I have no way to work full time here in the USA in my degree field of a BA in Digital Cinema with a minor in Computer Gaming. I am willing to learn Finnish and have no problems learning a local language and am trying to learn it from what I can from online. Maybe someone knows someone willing to help someone have a new opportunity in life and a chance at having happiness again. I am tired of being treated like !"#¤% in the country I was born in and need the opportunity to rebuild my health and a new chapter on life. I really felt like Finland could be home.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sijazme

Re: I want to Live in Finland

Post by sijazme » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:02 am

paintballsean wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:52 am
I really felt like Finland could be home.
Yes well your non-finnish partner on a student visa is not going to help you with moving to Finland -- because of their immigration status. They are only barely legal there themselves.

There are only a few ways to live in Finland legally and obtain a resident permit:

1) Employment based

2) Study based

3) Family based

4) Refugee

From these options, number 3 is the easiest but it would help if your "partner" is an EU citizen (doesn't have to be Finnish citizen). Maybe first move to Finland on study/work basis and find a partner there. Also with a minor in computer gaming, you can probably land a job at some IT company here. It would help if you were a gay refugee from Rwanda (option 4) but not really the case here.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:57 am

paintballsean wrote:
Hei kaikki. I just recently got back from visiting Finland and felt a happiness I have never felt in over 10 years. I am a 30 year old male. The plans to marry someone fell through and then I fell in love with a non Finnish guy on a student visa. I am trying to make my way back to Finland to find a way to legally stay there. I am from the United States and am a native English language speaker and looking for jobs that I could get a work visa to reside in Finland. Its hard to find the love of ones life being so far away. I tried to apply for a masters program but am not eligible as I have no way to work full time here in the USA in my degree field of a BA in Digital Cinema with a minor in Computer Gaming. I am willing to learn Finnish and have no problems learning a local language and am trying to learn it from what I can from online. Maybe someone knows someone willing to help someone have a new opportunity in life and a chance at having happiness again. I am tired of being treated like !"#¤% in the country I was born in and need the opportunity to rebuild my health and a new chapter on life. I really felt like Finland could be home.
See migri.fi for official info about moving to here.
And just to be clear about terms: visa is for visiting up to three months, residence permit is for residing.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

deepsudeep

Post by deepsudeep » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:59 am

sijazme wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:02 am
paintballsean wrote:
Also with a minor in computer gaming, you can probably land a job at some IT company here.
+1

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:45 pm

paintballsean wrote:
I tried to apply for a masters program but am not eligible as I have no way to work full time here in the USA in my degree field of a BA in Digital Cinema with a minor in Computer Gaming.
Do you mean it's a requirement to have a full time job to apply for the masters program? Sounds weird but I guess it's possible.

paintballsean

Post by paintballsean » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:55 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:45 pm
paintballsean wrote:
I tried to apply for a masters program but am not eligible as I have no way to work full time here in the USA in my degree field of a BA in Digital Cinema with a minor in Computer Gaming.
Do you mean it's a requirement to have a full time job to apply for the masters program? Sounds weird but I guess it's possible.
Yes it states one must have worked fulltime for 3 years to apply for a masters program before applying. It's the dumbest requirement I have ever seen.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:17 am

sijazme wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:02 am
paintballsean wrote:
Yes well your non-finnish partner on a student visa is not going to help you with moving to Finland -- because of their immigration status. They are only barely legal there themselves.
Incorrect. Family member of a student permit holder is a valid category. The biggest hurdle is showing sufficient funds.

sijazme

Post by sijazme » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:48 am

Incorrect. Family member of a student permit holder is a valid category. The biggest hurdle is showing sufficient funds.
Yes, well, the op doesn't seem to want be in a position to show "sufficient funds" for a 2 year study program. It would help his situation if his partner was a EU citizen because then some of the financial proof requirements are waived. For example, my wife is Icelandic (and hence also Nordic citizen) and we didn't have to show any money.

rio

Post by rio » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:46 pm

paintballsean wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:55 pm
Yes it states one must have worked fulltime for 3 years to apply for a masters program before applying. It's the dumbest requirement I have ever seen.
You probably checked a university of applied sciences, they usually require a few years of work experience for applying to master programs. You should check either university of technology (TUT, LUT) or a normal university (Helsinki, Aalto, Tampere etc), they dont have work experience requirement.

paintballsean

Post by paintballsean » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:16 am

sijazme wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:48 am
Yes, well, the op doesn't seem to want be in a position to show "sufficient funds" for a 2 year study program. It would help his situation if his partner was a EU citizen because then some of the financial proof requirements are waived. For example, my wife is Icelandic (and hence also Nordic citizen) and we didn't have to show any money.
Not many people I know have 30k in euros laying about I there bank account. The Europeans pay more in taxes and get free education. The only thing I can do is hope that I can convince someone to give me a scholarship. I wish finding a relationship abroad would be easy but that situation would solve most my problems. But the facts are I am even more determined to reach this goal. Nothing in this world is impossible when you put your mind to it. I am studying what I can of the finnish language and can learn what skills I need to provide to an employer in finland.