Moving from The Netherlands to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Frysk

Post by Frysk » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:36 pm

Hey all, my first post here! :)

to keep introductions short and simple; I'm 30, living in The Netherlands and have a relationship with a Finnish girl for almost five years. The plan is to move to Finland and say goodbye to The Netherlands, I can move in with my girlfriend - we are not yet married. This would mean quitting my dayjob, selling my car and moving to a new country. I run my own business, yet very small as I've started it last year; which is a record label. As I said, the plan is to move next year to Finland. The only things I will bring are my books, some clothes, my vinyl collection and hifi stuff. No furniture. So just a van full of boxes and a TV.
A few questions come to my mind (and please let me know if this is the wrong subforum!):

1. Does anyone have experience actually moving your stuff from another country to Finland? Maybe escpecially from The Netherlands?
First idea of us is to rent a Europcar van, drive it to The Netherlands, pick up my stuff and drive back. Pricewise the cheapest. I don't really like to pay 1600 euro and have unknown people double checking my stuff and slamming my vinyl collection into the back of a huge truck. Looking for tips and stories here :)

2. When I'm there, I want to get a permanent right of residence asap - or at least within the allowed timeframe. As I said earlier, I started my own business. It's a sole proprietorship for now to see how things work out. So ofcourse I cannot pay myself a big salary right away. If things don't work out and I need to cough up more money I'm sure there's some work for me somewhere. Here in The Netherlands I work with renewable energy and how you implement these in peoples region. Would apply for right of residence based upon entrepeneurship be my only option? Or should we get married if my income is not yet that high? Does anyone know what "an adequate income" is for applying through entrepeneurship?
My business is registered in The Netherlands and not in Finland. Should I do that?

3. When, and if ofcourse I receive this right; do I receive a Finnish personal identity code automatically? I'd love to then register my "municipality of residence" in Finland as well. This would mean I have to go back to the netherlands; sign myself out there; go back to finland and apply? Or is it possible to be signed into two countries?

4. What things, permits, papers etc. would I need to buy a car plus insurance in Finland?

thanks in advance! :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sijazme

Re: Moving from The Netherlands to Finland

Post by sijazme » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:36 pm

What is your nationality?

zetorpilot

Post by zetorpilot » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:57 pm

Frysk wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:36 pm
Hey all, my first post here! :)

to keep introductions short and simple; I'm 30, living in The Netherlands and have a relationship with a Finnish girl for almost five years. The plan is to move to Finland and say goodbye to The Netherlands, I can move in with my girlfriend - we are not yet married. This would mean quitting my dayjob, selling my car and moving to a new country. I run my own business, yet very small as I've started it last year; which is a record label. As I said, the plan is to move next year to Finland. The only things I will bring are my books, some clothes, my vinyl collection and hifi stuff. No furniture. So just a van full of boxes and a TV.
A few questions come to my mind (and please let me know if this is the wrong subforum!):

1. Does anyone have experience actually moving your stuff from another country to Finland? Maybe escpecially from The Netherlands?
First idea of us is to rent a Europcar van, drive it to The Netherlands, pick up my stuff and drive back. Pricewise the cheapest. I don't really like to pay 1600 euro and have unknown people double checking my stuff and slamming my vinyl collection into the back of a huge truck. Looking for tips and stories here :)

snip

thanks in advance! :)
You might be surprised to hear that removal companies employ real people who genuinely care about moving customers things as carefully as possible; record collections, musical instruments, art collections etc etc all included. At least that's the case with the one I've been working for during the last nine years.

From the description you gave of the amount of things to be moved, the cost is probably also nothing like you assumed, considering that you are more or less on the route to and from Brussels - this is for obvious reasons a regular route for both the firm I work for, and my colleagues at our equally careful and professional competitors.

Good luck with your move.

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:43 am

I haven't done that particular move but I have done multiple international moves. With vinyl.

As zetorpilot said, removals companies are definitely capable of doing a good job, so give them serious thought.

If you're going to do it yourself, what route will you take? All land via St Petersburg (I don't think so)? Stockholm-Turku ferry? Tallinn-Helsinki ferry? Ferry to Hanko? Make sure you include all the costs including an overnight stop somewhere. Multiple stops, especially if you rent the van in Finland, drive ~24 hours to the Netherlands, load up your stuff and drive ~24h back.

Frysk

Post by Frysk » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:44 pm

SecretCode wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:43 am
I haven't done that particular move but I have done multiple international moves. With vinyl.

As zetorpilot said, removals companies are definitely capable of doing a good job, so give them serious thought.

If you're going to do it yourself, what route will you take? All land via St Petersburg (I don't think so)? Stockholm-Turku ferry? Tallinn-Helsinki ferry? Ferry to Hanko? Make sure you include all the costs including an overnight stop somewhere. Multiple stops, especially if you rent the van in Finland, drive ~24 hours to the Netherlands, load up your stuff and drive ~24h back.
Thanks! I somehow think the costs would be pretty high compared to what I actually have - some clothes and just my equipment - to rent out a full van with personell - but it might be worth checking again with some companies.

The route (as currently planned) will be Germany, Denmark, Stockholm, Turku -> Helsinki.

Would love to hear more about some companies doing this trip and consider both options.

@sijazme: I am Dutch :)