absence from finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
sijazme

absence from finland

Post by sijazme » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:00 pm

Migri website says about the effect of absence on continuous residence:

Your continuous period of residence is interrupted if you leave Finland regularly for such long periods of time that you can be considered to reside the most of your time outside Finland.

The following periods of absence from Finland will not interrupt your continuous period of residence, and their time will be calculated as continuous residence time:

absences of a maximum of one month
a maximum of six periods of absence that last 1–2 months each
a maximum of two periods of absence that last 2–6 months each

If you are absent from Finland for longer than a year, your continuous period of residence is interrupted. The periods you have lived in Finland before your absence will be counted towards your accumulated period of residence.

My question is that how is any absence become known to migri? If I live in Sweden for 6 months and don't tell anyone then how will my absence be noted in the system? And how does one prove to migri at the end of 4 years that they have continuously lived in Finland for the entire time? What kind of evidence is needed for the permanent residence?

absence from finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Maeke

Re: absence from finland

Post by Maeke » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:26 am

Asking myself the same questions !
And I think the only way they really know is by looking at your passport and also relying on your voluntary declarations.
Because as long as you stay within the EU, technically, there is no way to know, unless you have applied for social benefits in some other EU country

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:55 am

sijazme wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:00 pm
My question is that how is any absence become known to migri? If I live in Sweden for 6 months and don't tell anyone then how will my absence be noted in the system? And how does one prove to migri at the end of 4 years that they have continuously lived in Finland for the entire time? What kind of evidence is needed for the permanent residence?
You are required to notify the population register about such a situation. You might as well as ask how can the police catch me for a crime if they can't find the evidence.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:56 am

Maeke wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:26 am
And I think the only way they really know is by looking at your passport and also relying on your voluntary declarations.
Because as long as you stay within the EU, technically, there is no way to know, unless you have applied for social benefits in some other EU country
Unless you use cash, cards will leave a trail that could be investigated (not implying that one way or the other that such an investigation would take place).

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:56 am
Maeke wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:26 am
Unless you use cash, cards will leave a trail that could be investigated (not implying that one way or the other that such an investigation would take place).
Iirc Sweden and Finland share information quite a lot, so if one registers to their system, the info is relayed to Finnish maistraatti too.

edit. that might have applied only to Finnish citizens though
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

paintballsean

Post by paintballsean » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:41 am

Im sure there are some checks when it comes to employment etc. I hear that they can do many things to determine if you have stayed. Honestly if i could have a residence permit, I personally would never leave.

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:48 pm

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU SEAN.

I saw lots of postings from genuine people who really really want to have the chance to be in Finland and contribute to the Finnish society, just like myself and many others. I am grateful to be here and at this moment, I have no intention to going back permanently to Canada, although I do miss my country as well.
So I would not even think about leaving. Why bother applying, otherwise ?