Credit card

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
fintel

Credit card

Post by fintel » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:40 pm

It's known that you should apply for credit at the bank where you receive your salary, however, I would like to know if Nordea or OP bank is better for having a credit card approved in general?

Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

Credit card

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Credit card

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:52 pm

fintel wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:40 pm
It's known that you should apply for credit at the bank where you receive your salary, however, I would like to know if Nordea or OP bank is better for having a credit card approved in general?
It’s often easier but no means the only option. Many providers like Bank Norwegian are not even able to receive a salary.

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:27 am

What do you mean Beltegeuse?
Your last sentence is not very clear.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:30 am

Maeke wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:27 am
What do you mean Beltegeuse?
Your last sentence is not very clear.
It means they are essentially a credit card issuer and not a traditional bank where you have an account to receive deposits like salary.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:30 am

It does not necessary needs to be from the same bank you have the salary coming into, but normally is like that.
For example I have also one from Norwegian, I'm not very clear how they calculate the credit limit as the only questions they asked was the identify number & how many debts I have.

fintel

Post by fintel » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:23 pm

tavastia wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:30 am
It does not necessary needs to be from the same bank you have the salary coming into, but normally is like that.
For example I have also one from Norwegian, I'm not very clear how they calculate the credit limit as the only questions they asked was the identify number & how many debts I have.
I used the bank norwegian online credit application. It took 2 mins. And it was straight away rejected.

Maybe because my personal identity number is new.
Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:47 pm

fintel wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:23 pm
tavastia wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:30 am
I used the bank norwegian online credit application. It took 2 mins. And it was straight away rejected.

It was. Exact details vary but usually they want to see a municipality of residence in Finland for at least a couple years. A new personal identity code does not have any history in Finnish databases.

agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:47 am

fintel wrote:

I got rejected too, by OP bank (I'm already a customer). Any idea what other requirements might there be? It's just been 2 yr since I moved.

Also does anyone know how the mixed debit+credit card works? Do you need to choose every time you use it? I don't see any option to turn off debit feature.

EDIT: just saw on Bank Norwegian "In the Finnish Population Register for the last 36 months"... :(

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:10 am

agroot wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:47 am
fintel wrote:

I got rejected too, by OP bank (I'm already a customer). Any idea what other requirements might there be? It's just been 2 yr since I moved.
Have you asked OP? Even if it was the credit card company's decision, they should be able to provide at least some insight. Others can only speculate why your application was rejected.
agroot wrote:
Also does anyone know how the mixed debit+credit card works? Do you need to choose every time you use it?
Yes, at least when keying in the PIN code (at an ATM or a card reader in a shop).

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:20 am

There is no such thing in Finland as ”good WORD CENSOR - SPAM POST/MESSAGE!!!”. There is only negative record system. No central record of positive credit history.

mdn

Post by mdn » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:00 am

heretostay wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:20 am
There is no such thing in Finland as ”good WORD CENSOR - SPAM POST/MESSAGE!!!”.
Sorry could you clarify somehow, what was an original text?
Just interesting. :D

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:37 pm

yrtti wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:06 am
agroot wrote:
fintel wrote:

Also does anyone know how the mixed debit+credit card works? Do you need to choose every time you use it? I don't see any option to turn off debit feature.

EDIT: just saw on Bank Norwegian "In the Finnish Population Register for the last 36 months"... :(
Could be a million different reasons, best bet is to just ask why you were declined.

Usually:
  • 3 years of residence
  • Strong ties to Finland
  • Strong relationship with your bank
  • Need to be at least employed with a decent salary
  • Should have a good kredit score already
  • If not employed you must be a student and the card applied for must be one given to students only and in this case they will want to see that you have completed enough credits
I mean think about it, just about anything will influence whether or not you get a CC. My opinion, better not to have one and use money that you don't actually have.
How to check kredit score?

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:00 pm

mdn wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:00 am
heretostay wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:20 am
There is no such thing in Finland as ”good WORD CENSOR - SPAM POST/MESSAGE!!!”.
Sorry could you clarify somehow, what was an original text?
Just interesting. :D
Lol... I typed good c.redit s.core. No idea why the system decided to censor that.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:15 pm

Maaria wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:37 pm
How to check kredit score?
The is no such thing as a score, one can only have a clean record or not (meaning register entries for unpaid debts). Each bank has their own way of determining the financial risk associated with a customer.

A private person can check, once a year for free, which information if any of them is stored in a register (this is a legal requirement for all registers containing personal information). Credit history information is kept by Asiakastieto (https://www.asiakastieto.fi/web/fi/kulu ... yynto.html) and Bisnode (https://finland.bisnode.fi/omien-luotto ... istaminen/).

agroot

Post by agroot » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:31 pm

yrtti wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:06 am
Could be a million different reasons, best bet is to just ask why you were declined.
I asked! OP's customer service is quite busy and I was about to give up after half a hour.

The answer is that it's still one month from 2 years requirement; apparently the first month of arrival doesn't count. Also the credit+debit card has two sets of numbers (!), I wonder why such information isn't available on the bank's website.