not allowed to register address

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
toamber2

Post by toamber2 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:37 pm

I recently applied for a residence permit on the basis of Intimate Relationship from inside Finland after entering using my 90 day visa free Schengen travel privileges. This is one of the lesser known application types, and I had to apply using the paper based application. It does NOT require 2 years living together, but it does require that I have my own source of income (which I do, working for a foreign company remotely). I submitted my application, paid the fee and had my fingerprints taken in Oulu in the middle of last week. I was given a printed out certificate that says I have applied for a residence permit and that I have legal permission to remain in Finland while I await the outcome of that application. The Migri agent told me that the next step is to go and register my address. I printed out the form and completed it, and headed to the Maistraatti in Turku, where I live with my boyfriend.

The agent at the Maistraatti desk had no idea what she was talking about, and it was like having a conversation with a brick wall. She refused to allow me to register as living at my boyfriend's address, because I can't prove that he and I have lived together for 2 years already. She had no idea that the Intimate Relationship RP even existed. Additionally, I couldn't quite get her to see the logical need for there to be a first day that my boyfriend and I are documented as living together, if there's some pre-existing requirement to have been together for two years. She was obstinate, not very intelligent nor well informed about her own job.

The migri.fi website indicates that I need to register my address if I stay longer than 90 days in Finland, but Maistraatti is refusing to allow me to comply with that rule. This means I will no longer be "in status" and sets me up to have grounds for deportation. How can I get around this? Do I go to a maistraatti office in another city? Is there somewhere above this woman's head that I can go, where someone might be more helpful?

edit to add: I'm not trying to get free goodies from Finnish tax dollars. I just need to be able to get mail from Migri when they send us the questionnaires about our relationship and other official documents. I was told those need to be sent by mail, and I need my address registered for that.

Many thanks to anyone who has some ideas for me :rose:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: not allowed to register address

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:56 pm

toamber2 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:37 pm
I recently applied for a residence permit on the basis of Intimate Relationship from inside Finland after entering using my 90 day visa free Schengen travel privileges. This is one of the lesser known application types, and I had to apply using the paper based application. It does NOT require 2 years living together, but it does require that I have my own source of income (which I do, working for a foreign company remotely). I submitted my application, paid the fee and had my fingerprints taken in Oulu in the middle of last week. I was given a printed out certificate that says I have applied for a residence permit and that I have legal permission to remain in Finland while I await the outcome of that application. The Migri agent told me that the next step is to go and register my address. I printed out the form and completed it, and headed to the Maistraatti in Turku, where I live with my boyfriend.

The agent at the Maistraatti desk had no idea what she was talking about, and it was like having a conversation with a brick wall. She refused to allow me to register as living at my boyfriend's address, because I can't prove that he and I have lived together for 2 years already. She had no idea that the Intimate Relationship RP even existed. Additionally, I couldn't quite get her to see the logical need for there to be a first day that my boyfriend and I are documented as living together, if there's some pre-existing requirement to have been together for two years. She was obstinate, not very intelligent nor well informed about her own job.
They might be correct that you would not classify as a family member (or any of the other categories for a municipality of residence) before you marry.

https://www.infofinland.fi/en/moving-to ... in-finland

They should still allow you a temporary registration at your boyfriends address. You are better of registering to the population register through the Tax Office since you need to do that for working remotely any way.

https://www.vero.fi/en/individuals/tax- ... n-finland/

You will want to notify Migri about the code since otherwise they will issue on during the application process.
toamber2 wrote:
The migri.fi website indicates that I need to register my address if I stay longer than 90 days in Finland, but Maistraatti is refusing to allow me to comply with that rule. This means I will no longer be "in status" and sets me up to have grounds for deportation. How can I get around this? Do I go to a maistraatti office in another city? Is there somewhere above this woman's head that I can go, where someone might be more helpful?
This concerns free movement cases (EEA and their dependants), not you.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:59 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:56 pm
They should still allow you a temporary registration at your boyfriends address. You are better of registering to the population register through the Tax Office since you need to do that for working remotely any way.

This assume the remote work is something that can be done without a residence permit.

https://migri.fi/en/work-without-residence-permit

fintel

Post by fintel » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:58 am

Don't waste your time with this intimate relationship stuff, if the relation is genuine, get married, and your document requirements will go from 50 documents to only ONE document (marriage certificate) with a lot more rights in Europe. You would practically be treated as a citizen.
Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

toamber2

Post by toamber2 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:39 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:59 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:56 pm

This assume the remote work is something that can be done without a residence permit.

https://migri.fi/en/work-without-residence-permit
Thanks for this link. Yes, I am able to work remotely without a residence permit. I'm a teacher, and I came in on a short term visitor's visa. Migri knows and I've made no attempts to conceal the fact that I'm working remotely. The thought of dealing with the Tax Office fills me with fear...

toamber2

Post by toamber2 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:40 pm

fintel wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:58 am
Don't waste your time with this intimate relationship stuff, if the relation is genuine, get married, and your document requirements will go from 50 documents to only ONE document (marriage certificate) with a lot more rights in Europe. You would practically be treated as a citizen.
Tell that to my boyfriend!

simplyann

Post by simplyann » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:51 pm

toamber2 wrote:

edit to add: I'm not trying to get free goodies from Finnish tax dollars. I just need to be able to get mail from Migri when they send us the questionnaires about our relationship and other official documents. I was told those need to be sent by mail, and I need my address registered for that.

Many thanks to anyone who has some ideas for me :rose:
I am not quite sure about this. But I think you can only register to maistraatti once you have a finnish/social security number which I believe you can get once you receive a positive decision or residence permit from migri and the RP should be valid for more than 6months. I also went in Finland as a tourist visa and living with my boyfriend for more than a year now but I am still not registered yet in maistraatti. Why? I got a seasonal job after my tourist visa - got the temporary permit to work Feb 2019 until May 2019 only (3months). Now I applied for the extension of work permit since I got a full time job and once I get the RP to work thats the time I can register to maistraatti. Also, migri and maistratti have different rules. Intimate relationship may be valid to migri but not recognized by maistraatti. Hope others can share what they know too to clarify your situation 😊😊😊