EU Citizen marriage residence

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Charlotte Demidov

Post by Charlotte Demidov » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:53 pm

Hello

i hope someone can help me here since i only found confusing answers on migri website.
I am German (EU citizen) and my fiancee ist Finnish Citizen. I live in Germany, he in Finland, we never lived together nor has he spent time abroad. We met during holiday and are in a long distance relationship for 1 year. We decided we want to marry and that i move to him to Finland. How do i register then in Finland? Is it possible? because on Migri once its says he has to have used his right of free movement and lived abroad longer than 3 Months or that we lived together longer than 2 years. And then it states somewhere else that we can just marry and i can move to Finland. Can anyone help me please?

Thank you

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

drk

Re: EU Citizen marriage residence

Post by drk » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:32 pm

Hi

Why not just move to Finland first and then get married? It simplifies things as you can just do it in maistraatti. You're a European citizen so you can easily move to Finland. It is possible and pretty simple actually. You just go to maistraatti and ask for the documents to get married (he can do that already). You both probably need some paper stating that you are not married at the moment. You need to get that one in Germany, so that that before you leave. I believe that paper is only valid for 6 months or so, so you need to get married within that time.

Charlotte Demidov

Re: EU Citizen marriage residence

Post by Charlotte Demidov » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:53 pm

Hi,
when i called Migri they said because we have not lived together for 2 years and because he hasnt lived abroad for longer than 3 months our marriage wouldnt count as family ties. Actually we thought about me moving first but i dont have a job yet