How to visit my spouse more frequently in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
sri3001

Post by sri3001 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 pm

Hi,

I'm a third country national working in Switzerland with a resident permit. My wife works in Finland and has a resident permit A (she is also a third country national). At the moment, I visit her occasionally and keep my visits within 90days inside the 180 day window. Now I want to visit her more frequently. But I don't want to apply for a resident permit in Finland since that would make my Swiss permit void (I need the swiss permit to continue my work in Switzerland). Is there any alternative other than applying for resident permit in Finland (like a visa or registering in local police)? The reason I'm looking at visits more than 90 days is that I have the possibility to do remote work.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: How to visit my spouse more frequently in Finland

Post by Upphew » Wed May 27, 2020 1:36 pm

sri3001 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 pm
Hi,

I'm a third country national working in Switzerland with a resident permit. My wife works in Finland and has a resident permit A (she is also a third country national). At the moment, I visit her occasionally and keep my visits within 90days inside the 180 day window. Now I want to visit her more frequently. But I don't want to apply for a resident permit in Finland since that would make my Swiss permit void (I need the swiss permit to continue my work in Switzerland). Is there any alternative other than applying for resident permit in Finland (like a visa or registering in local police)? The reason I'm looking at visits more than 90 days is that I have the possibility to do remote work.
You might want to check Finnish-Swiss tax treaty, if one exists. You are planning to be in Finland for more than 183 days a year. And iirc then the taxman wants his share of your money.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

fintel

Post by fintel » Wed May 27, 2020 3:08 pm

sri3001 wrote:
Hi,

Switzerland and Finland are both Schengen countries. Nationals of any country, when in the Schengen Area, are able to liberally cross the internal borders of the state members, free from border checks. I am not sure why you are concerned about the 90 day window so much.
Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed May 27, 2020 5:51 pm

fintel wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:08 pm
sri3001 wrote:
Hi,

Switzerland and Finland are both Schengen countries. Nationals of any country, when in the Schengen Area, are able to liberally cross the internal borders of the state members, free from border checks. I am not sure why you are concerned about the 90 day window so much.
Not wanting to have the Swiss residence permit replaced with a ban from entering the Schengen area is a very good reason for being concerned.