Getting married in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Ollz
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 9:58 am

Getting married in Finland

Post by Ollz » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:01 pm

Hello!

Me (a Finnish citizen) and my Filipina girlfriend want to get married in Finland once the visa services are opened again. We've been separated for 10 months now so we desperately want to see each other and get married in Finland. When we eventually apply for her to visit me here in Finland, should we honestly tell the reason of the trip (Getting married), or should we not mention it at all?

I'm asking this because i've heard some "horror stories" of the visa not being granted because of the person would not leave the country on the intended return date, even when the purpose of the visit has been to get married? I will be sponsoring her application. So, everyone who have knowledge of this and/or have got married in Finland, what did YOU say at your visa application? Is there anything else we should take into consideration? Thank you!



Getting married in Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

empele10
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:14 pm

Re: Getting married in Finland

Post by empele10 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:59 pm

The problem is that Finland doesn't have a fiancee visa. The whole thing is really screwed up. I'm sure a Finnish citizen has a right to get married in Finland or abroad to anybody, Finnish or foreign. But many foreigners need a visa to get to Finland and Schengen tourist visa rules state that the person needs to leave the Schengen area before the visa expires. On the other hand, if you get married during the visit, she can apply for a residence permit immediately and stay in Finland waiting for the outcome (I have checked this personally from Migri). These things are contradictory. For some reason Finland tries to make things for international couples as difficult as possible, so yes, the visa will be denied if you mention that you are going to apply for a residence permit. At the same time they are flying thousands of refugees including their families here for full maintenance, it's not fair. So Finland would want the couple to meet here with a Schengen visa, then - if getting suddenly married - her to fly back to her country, apply for a residence permit there and then to wait up to a year for the outcome to be able to return here. Crazy stuff!

It's possible to get the tourist visa without mentioning marriage - it's basically a human right to get married and it's not their business anyway. But even if they ask about that and she/you agree having plans to get married (having a long-time/established relationship already etc), I think they are breaching their duties if they denied the visa just because of that. It's important to tell them that she has a return ticket and she will return when the visa expires whether you get married or not.. so she will NOT apply for a residence permit while in Finland.

Then the next problem is that I think you need a CENOMAR document from the Philippines to be able to marry here. That's the document of no previous marriage or basically a document proving she's single. She can get that easily but then it needs to be authenticated by DFA and then it additionally needs to be validated by the Finnish consulate/embassy in Manila because Finland doesn't have an apostille convention with the Philippines. So it means that she has to go to the consulate there again to get that CENOMAR accepted for the purpose of marriage in Finland and that's when they know for sure that you are planning marriage. Last time I checked, there was no way to authenticate that here in Finland/Sweden/Norway. I don't know if Finland is still without consular services of the Philippines. The Helsinki office was closed (before corona already). Stockholm or Oslo office won't validate CENOMARs.

Also if she has never been in Finland, there's extra bureaucracy.. missing a CFO certificate could stop her from flying at the airport. The Philippines is a country that keeps its citizens as prisoners and they need a good case and papers until they are allowed to leave. That means an invitation, always a return flight ticket and the CFO certificate to prevent human trafficking.

And now we have corona in addition to make things even more complicated.. at the moment they are offloading people who even have visas and other proof. For Filipino immigration (when leaving the country) having papers to get married abroad is a positive sign (during corona restrictions) but as was mentioned, for Finnish officials that's a warning sign! "Terrible, they might get married!" 😁🀣

Maaria
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:49 am

Re: Getting married in Finland

Post by Maaria » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:48 am

You can avoid the complexity of applying Finnish visa by ask her apply Shengen short term visa in another Schengen country. She should apply as a partner of you and submit documents of the proof of durable relationship. Also she has to submit some documents showing you will travel there also. The best scenario is if you travel to the Philippines and then she applied for a short term Schengen visa from another Schengen country to travel there with you. Both of you can go together to submit her application. Oh and she needs to also submit a copy of your passport and the embassy will want to see the original document during the appointment.

betelgeuse
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Getting married in Finland

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:27 pm

empele10 wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:59 pm
The problem is that Finland doesn't have a fiancee visa.
Finland has a fiancee residence permit.

https://migri.fi/en/intimate-relationship

empele10
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:14 pm

Re: Getting married in Finland

Post by empele10 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:29 pm

betelgeuse wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:27 pm
empele10 wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:59 pm
The problem is that Finland doesn't have a fiancee visa.
Finland has a fiancee residence permit.

https://migri.fi/en/intimate-relationship
That's a different thing, not really an option for a couple who wanna meet here in Finland as soon as the Manila consulate/embassy is re-opened. "Expected processing time 5–8 months" for that residence permit.... Also partner's income doesn't count and very few Filipinas can fulfill the income requirement of 1000 euros/month. Fiancee visa would be something that can be obtained in a reasonable amount of time and doesn't cost over 500 euros.

My girlfriend has been in Finland twice already. Both times the application was handled by the Norwegian Embassy in Manila in 3 days. We had no problems. Unfortunately Finland started to handle the applications before corona so many people were rejected. And now Finland has kept the consulate closed for 7 months while many European countries have opened embassies a long time ago already. This is starting to be a human rights issue.

Ollz
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 9:58 am

Re: Getting married in Finland

Post by Ollz » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:25 pm

Thank you for the responses, everyone!

To clarify, she has not been to Finland (or outside PH for that matter) yet, and has not been married before. Getting married in other EU countries is possible too (although of course we prefer Finland), as the only thing we really care about is being able to process the RP in Finland, thus being together here for the processing already.

So, basically the options are applying at some another countries consulate/embassy, or applying at the Finnish consulate (once it re-opens :evil: ), and hoping for the best?
Last edited by Ollz on Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

betelgeuse
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Getting married in Finland

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:53 pm

empele10 wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:29 pm
betelgeuse wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:27 pm
empele10 wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:59 pm
The problem is that Finland doesn't have a fiancee visa.
Finland has a fiancee residence permit.

https://migri.fi/en/intimate-relationship
That's a different thing, not really an option for a couple who wanna meet here in Finland as soon as the Manila consulate/embassy is re-opened. "Expected processing time 5–8 months" for that residence permit....
You complained about the contradiction between Schengen visa rules and getting married in Finland. The residence permit does fill that cap so it needs to be included in a full analysis.

I do agree that the processing times should be shorter (for all types of permits really).
empele10 wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:29 pm
Also partner's income doesn't count and very few Filipinas can fulfill the income requirement of 1000 euros/month. Fiancee visa would be something that can be obtained in a reasonable amount of time and doesn't cost over 500 euros.
While partner's income doesn't count, the partner can give the money as a gift to the bank account of the applicant. The amount of money required can be lowered by applying for a shorter period than one year.

A residence permit currently has the added benefit that with it's easier to convince airlines to allow checking in.

simplyann
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:11 am

Re: Getting married in Finland

Post by simplyann » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:38 pm

betelgeuse wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:53 pm
empele10 wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:29 pm
betelgeuse wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:27 pm


Finland has a fiancee residence permit.

https://migri.fi/en/intimate-relationship
That's a different thing, not really an option for a couple who wanna meet here in Finland as soon as the Manila consulate/embassy is re-opened. "Expected processing time 5–8 months" for that residence permit....
You complained about the contradiction between Schengen visa rules and getting married in Finland. The residence permit does fill that cap so it needs to be included in a full analysis.

I do agree that the processing times should be shorter (for all types of permits really).
empele10 wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:29 pm
Also partner's income doesn't count and very few Filipinas can fulfill the income requirement of 1000 euros/month. Fiancee visa would be something that can be obtained in a reasonable amount of time and doesn't cost over 500 euros.
While partner's income doesn't count, the partner can give the money as a gift to the bank account of the applicant. The amount of money required can be lowered by applying for a shorter period than one year.

A residence permit currently has the added benefit that with it's easier to convince airlines to allow checking in.
Empele10 is right that Finland has no fiancee visa. Applying for a visa in the grounds of intimate relationship is different from fiancee visa. Me and my partner who is now my husband tried to apply for this intimate visa before but one of the requirements is that we are living together (same house) for a certain period of time. Also, one of a friends has an experience in applying this intimate visa. She is living with her boyfriend here in Finland for years and sharing expenses but for whatever reason, the application got denied and so they decided to get married and got her RP with no hassle.

Tourist visa is clearly for tourist and need to show evidence that you have an intention to go back to your country. You can take a risk but once the immigration in the Philippines has a doubt of your real intention, they may offhold your GF at the airport and not let her travel to Finland. Or if immigration in Finland finds it out, she can be deported or worse, blaclisted for a certain years.

empele10
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:14 pm

Re: Getting married in Finland

Post by empele10 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:53 am

simplyann wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:38 pm
Tourist visa is clearly for tourist and need to show evidence that you have an intention to go back to your country. You can take a risk but once the immigration in the Philippines has a doubt of your real intention, they may offhold your GF at the airport and not let her travel to Finland. Or if immigration in Finland finds it out, she can be deported or worse, blaclisted for a certain years.
It is not a crime to get married during a visit on a tourist visa. Especially during these corona times it's just sad to realize how some countries have such a negative attitude towards people wanting to get married and live together after marriage.
A return flight ticket will always be needed when travelling with a Schengen visa and that proves that the intention is to return before the visa expires.

simplyann
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:11 am

Re: Getting married in Finland

Post by simplyann » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:32 am

empele10 wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:53 am
simplyann wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:38 pm
Tourist visa is clearly for tourist and need to show evidence that you have an intention to go back to your country. You can take a risk but once the immigration in the Philippines has a doubt of your real intention, they may offhold your GF at the airport and not let her travel to Finland. Or if immigration in Finland finds it out, she can be deported or worse, blaclisted for a certain years.
It is not a crime to get married during a visit on a tourist visa. Especially during these corona times it's just sad to realize how some countries have such a negative attitude towards people wanting to get married and live together after marriage.
A return flight ticket will always be needed when travelling with a Schengen visa and that proves that the intention is to return before the visa expires.
I didn't say that it is a crime to get married while on tourist visa. Of course they can do that if they are lucky enough that his GF will enter Finland without hassle from migri in PH and Finland. Retun flight ticket is a proof but not a strong proof. Come on, we can buy a ticket and cancelled it or not use it at all. The GF should have a strong proof that she will go back to her country. Husband of my cousin is an immigration officer in AU. Someone flew to AU and he fpund out that the girl has an intention to get married there. She was deported and possible ban of entering AU for 3yrs. But of course, every country has their own rule. But I heard many times story about getting married while on tourist visa. They can do it, no one is stopping them to do so. But doing the right thing and getting the right visa won't hurt too.

empele10
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:14 pm

Re: Getting married in Finland

Post by empele10 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:57 am

betelgeuse wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:53 pm
empele10 wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:29 pm
betelgeuse wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:27 pm


Finland has a fiancee residence permit.

https://migri.fi/en/intimate-relationship
That's a different thing, not really an option for a couple who wanna meet here in Finland as soon as the Manila consulate/embassy is re-opened. "Expected processing time 5–8 months" for that residence permit....
You complained about the contradiction between Schengen visa rules and getting married in Finland. The residence permit does fill that cap so it needs to be included in a full analysis.
It's good to know about this, it might be a viable option for some couples although I didn't find any mention about "fiancee" or any required marriage plans from that Migri page so it's not exactly a "Fiancee" residence permit. I don't know if they still require that the couple must have lived together for two years already.

empele10
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:14 pm

Re: Getting married in Finland

Post by empele10 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:07 am

simplyann wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:32 am
I didn't say that it is a crime to get married while on tourist visa. Of course they can do that if they are lucky enough that his GF will enter Finland without hassle from migri in PH and Finland. Retun flight ticket is a proof but not a strong proof. Come on, we can buy a ticket and cancelled it or not use it at all. The GF should have a strong proof that she will go back to her country. Husband of my cousin is an immigration officer in AU. Someone flew to AU and he fpund out that the girl has an intention to get married there. She was deported and possible ban of entering AU for 3yrs. But of course, every country has their own rule. But I heard many times story about getting married while on tourist visa. They can do it, no one is stopping them to do so. But doing the right thing and getting the right visa won't hurt too.
But that's the point, there is no right visa for this kind of thing if wanting to get married here in Finland. Applying for a "Residence permit on the basis of intimate relationship" will take 5-9 months currently, and it is much harder to get anyway than a visa, I think.

Even if that residence permit was possible to obtain, do you suggest that people who have already been separated from their loved ones for 7-10 months because of corona should wait additional 5-9 months more after the Manila mission opens? Currently it's still closed and no word when it's going to open.

simplyann
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:11 am

Re: Getting married in Finland

Post by simplyann » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:06 am

empele10 wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:07 am
simplyann wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:32 am
I didn't say that it is a crime to get married while on tourist visa. Of course they can do that if they are lucky enough that his GF will enter Finland without hassle from migri in PH and Finland. Retun flight ticket is a proof but not a strong proof. Come on, we can buy a ticket and cancelled it or not use it at all. The GF should have a strong proof that she will go back to her country. Husband of my cousin is an immigration officer in AU. Someone flew to AU and he fpund out that the girl has an intention to get married there. She was deported and possible ban of entering AU for 3yrs. But of course, every country has their own rule. But I heard many times story about getting married while on tourist visa. They can do it, no one is stopping them to do so. But doing the right thing and getting the right visa won't hurt too.
But that's the point, there is no right visa for this kind of thing if wanting to get married here in Finland. Applying for a "Residence permit on the basis of intimate relationship" will take 5-9 months currently, and it is much harder to get anyway than a visa, I think.

Even if that residence permit was possible to obtain, do you suggest that people who have already been separated from their loved ones for 7-10 months because of corona should wait additional 5-9 months more after the Manila mission opens? Currently it's still closed and no word when it's going to open.
I think you didn't read my first comment? I don't think it is possible for them to apply for intimate relationship visa. I don't know their current situation but applying for that kind of visa requires that they are living together for a certain period of time. Meaning, they are under the same roof which I assume they are not because as per statement, the girl wants to travel here and get married.
Also, as I have said, they can take the risk of getting a tourist visa and get married. If they are lucky and didn't get any hassle from PH and Finland immigration - good for them.. If they get caught for whatever reason - be prepared for the consequence. Just be extra careful when the girl travels here. But I will still stand with what I said - returning flight ticket is not a strong proof that someone will go back home before visa expires.

FinlandGirl
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Getting married in Finland

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:40 am

betelgeuse wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:53 pm
empele10 wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:29 pm
Also partner's income doesn't count and very few Filipinas can fulfill the income requirement of 1000 euros/month. Fiancee visa would be something that can be obtained in a reasonable amount of time and doesn't cost over 500 euros.
While partner's income doesn't count, the partner can give the money as a gift to the bank account of the applicant.
The amount would be high enough that it has to be declared to Vero and gift tax paid.

betelgeuse
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Getting married in Finland

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:10 am

FinlandGirl wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:40 am
betelgeuse wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:53 pm
empele10 wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:29 pm
Also partner's income doesn't count and very few Filipinas can fulfill the income requirement of 1000 euros/month. Fiancee visa would be something that can be obtained in a reasonable amount of time and doesn't cost over 500 euros.
While partner's income doesn't count, the partner can give the money as a gift to the bank account of the applicant.
The amount would be high enough that it has to be declared to Vero and gift tax paid.
The recipient wouldn't be Finnish tax resident.


Post Reply