New born in Finland from foreign parents.

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
emmy.kn

Post by emmy.kn » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:56 pm

Hey all, Sorry if this thread is repeated.

But I could not find convincing answer to my questions even from several scrolling over different thread.

-We have a new born in Finland recently. Me and my spouse are both foreigner (Zambian). My spouse came to Finland on 'B' residence permit and after few years I joined him. Last year his extended permit application of study was rejected, so was mine as I have been here on family ties. Migri on its decision gave the notice on refusal of entry and we had 30 days time to voluntarily leave Finland. We were also provided with possibility to appeal against the decision and prohibition of enforcement of the decision.
-We appealed the decision and applied for prohibition of enforcement of the decision. We heard from court that prohibition of enforcement of the decision was given. So we are still in Finland.
- My spouse's study place had expired/ended during extension application process and also hadn't completed the course. That became the reason for the negative decision of my spouse. I was given negative decision because my sponsor had no valid residence permit.
- We are also working and both have meet immigration’s minimum income requirement for work based residence permit individually. After appealing the negative decision, I also applied new residence permit application based on work. I got positive partial decision on my application from employment office, but immigration service has not decided on my new application yet. Appeal on application of family ties is still pending at court and when inquired they say that it takes over a year for decision on such case in average. My spouse only appealed the decision of extended application but haven't applied any other new application.
- Meanwhile, my spouse got admitted on the same programe as of previous studies. So on his rejoinder to appeal, he stated the new facts on his appeal. But we are still unsure what would happen to my spouse appeal? or our appeal? At the moment, my spouse has study place, meets income requirements and other necessities so I believe, court should return the negative decision?! for new decision to migri. But we still very confused about what might be the decision of court and migri on my spouse's case?! Please share or suggest some of your relatable experience or ideas.
-At the moment, we both are without permit in Finland from over a year now. Although we are still legal for stays and work here.
-As we both are foreigner, I found that our child has no any possibility of Finnish citizenship by birth in Finland (??) nor has any Finnish passport possibility for the time being. She needs to get residence permit to be Finland. For this, I found that she will need passport from our home country to apply for residence permit but as embassy of Zambia is not in Finland, we need to travel to Sweden for applying passport. Therefore, it is not possible for the baby to get passport from Zambia nor she could try to Sweden without having any passport/travel document for getting Zambian passport. On the other hand, we both don't have residence permit at the moment and been waiting for decision on our appeal. So there is no any possibility for us to travel for this purpose also.
I think only possibility for our child case is if officials from Zambian embassy arranges to provide the passport coming to Finland then only she can apply for residence permit but they are not doing this.
Anybody with similar experience before and had it been possible to get passport from their home nationality. Or on such situation does migri consider to provide her Finnish passport? I want all your valuable feedback.
Thank you 😊

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: New born in Finland from foreign parents.

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:29 pm

A child born in Finland to parents that are not Finnish citizens can get Finnish citizenship only if the child does not automatically get any other citizenship. Based on what you wrote, it seems that your child has Zambian citizenship, therefore it is not possible to get Finnish citizenship on the grounds that he/she was born in Finland. See https://migri.fi/en/finnish-citizenship

I don't know if alien passport (not a citizenship) applies in your situation, but something you might want to look into https://migri.fi/en/alien-s-passport

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:20 am

There are no border checks between Finland and Sweden.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:35 am

heretostay wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:20 am
There are no border checks between Finland and Sweden.
During the pandemic there can be.

” Internal border control will continue to be in place in travel between Finland and Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Lithuania, Poland, Latvia, Liechtenstein and Switzerland, with the exception of pleasure craft travel.”

https://www.raja.fi/current_issues/guid ... er_traffic

inkku

Post by inkku » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:22 pm

Have you checked this page? https://www.moha.gov.zm/?page_id=5732
I am not sure but I believe you should register your child's birth first and then apply for a passport. Check with other Zambian expats.
Sorry for your limbo, very unfortunate.