Shift for dentistry to engineering

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
FinlandGirl
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Shift for dentistry to engineering

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:27 am

rinso wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:18 am
It seems to me that you already decided to switch to IT and now looking for confirmation.

Yes, it is possible and no it won't be easy and there is no guarantee for success.
When you start you have two handicaps: no Finnish and no experience. That makes you less attractive to employers. So it becomes a matter of the right time and the right place.
I don't see any problem here.

After graduating with an IT degree from a Finnish university or university of applied sciences finding a job should not be a problem, and no experience is expected from graduates.

Universities of applied sciences also require/provide internships at companies. Internships or student jobs are the easiest ways to get a job offered after graduation without even asking for it.
But even without that I would not be too worried about job prospects after graduation.

4 years are sufficient for fluent Finnish if learning 1 hour per day, and that would be recommended in any case.
IT is the only field with plenty of jobs that do not require Finnish.



Re: Shift for dentistry to engineering

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

Omajenn1234
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:48 pm

Re: Shift for dentistry to engineering

Post by Omajenn1234 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:47 am

rinso wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:18 am
It seems to me that you already decided to switch to IT and now looking for confirmation.

Yes, it is possible and no it won't be easy and there is no guarantee for success.
When you start you have two handicaps: no Finnish and no experience. That makes you less attractive to employers. So it becomes a matter of the right time and the right place.
If you go for it, make sure you have a plan B.
Im planning to study finnish before doing university but not to the level that i can study with it

How am i expected to have exp while im fresh graduate

Omajenn1234
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:48 pm

Re: Shift for dentistry to engineering

Post by Omajenn1234 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:49 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:27 am
rinso wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:18 am
It seems to me that you already decided to switch to IT and now looking for confirmation.

Yes, it is possible and no it won't be easy and there is no guarantee for success.
When you start you have two handicaps: no Finnish and no experience. That makes you less attractive to employers. So it becomes a matter of the right time and the right place.
I don't see any problem here.

After graduating with an IT degree from a Finnish university or university of applied sciences finding a job should not be a problem, and no experience is expected from graduates.

Universities of applied sciences also require/provide internships at companies. Internships or student jobs are the easiest ways to get a job offered after graduation without even asking for it.
But even without that I would not be too worried about job prospects after graduation.

4 years are sufficient for fluent Finnish if learning 1 hour per day, and that would be recommended in any case.
IT is the only field with plenty of jobs that do not require Finnish.
Yes im planning to learn finnish

May i know the difference between UAS and univeristies?

User avatar
rinso
Posts: 3909
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:22 pm

Re: Shift for dentistry to engineering

Post by rinso » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:27 am

How am i expected to have exp while im fresh graduate
That is the catch 22. You need a job to get it. But in getting the job you not only compete with other fresh candidates but also with people with experience who want to change their job. As I said; it a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

FinlandGirl
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Shift for dentistry to engineering

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:48 am

Omajenn1234 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:49 am
May i know the difference between UAS and univeristies?
Universities are designed to prepare for a scientific career, UAS are designed to prepare for a job.

Computer science at a university is a mixture of mathematics and the theoretical foundations, the fundamentals that will still be relevant in 50 years. Students might learn the basics of programming, but such practical skills are not a core part of the studies.

UAS have similarities with vocational schools, with focus on practical skills and emphasis on internships/thesis at companies.
What they teach are the practical skills you will need in a job after graduation, most of this knowledge might be obsolete 20 years later.

Reality is not as black and white, with IT studies at universities also being a reasonable preparation for the job market and UAS also teaching a bit of the fundamentals. But the general tendency is for university studies to be more theoretical/mathematical and for UAS studies to be more practical and job oriented.

Omajenn1234
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:48 pm

Re: Shift for dentistry to engineering

Post by Omajenn1234 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:44 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:48 am
Omajenn1234 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:49 am
May i know the difference between UAS and univeristies?
Universities are designed to prepare for a scientific career, UAS are designed to prepare for a job.

Computer science at a university is a mixture of mathematics and the theoretical foundations, the fundamentals that will still be relevant in 50 years. Students might learn the basics of programming, but such practical skills are not a core part of the studies.

UAS have similarities with vocational schools, with focus on practical skills and emphasis on internships/thesis at companies.
What they teach are the practical skills you will need in a job after graduation, most of this knowledge might be obsolete 20 years later.

Reality is not as black and white, with IT studies at universities also being a reasonable preparation for the job market and UAS also teaching a bit of the fundamentals. But the general tendency is for university studies to be more theoretical/mathematical and for UAS studies to be more practical and job oriented.
Is it easier to get in UAS compared to universities ?
And do you think that online self learning would be enough to get job in finland or degree would be much better ? What is your advice , im thinking that the best senario would be getting degree and while doing that learn online and try to start working as freelance , but im afraid it wont be easy to get in UAS or university i dont mind studying in any city im not looking for helsinki area

Thank you very much for your explanation i appreciate it

FinlandGirl
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Shift for dentistry to engineering

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:33 pm

Omajenn1234 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:44 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:48 am
Omajenn1234 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:49 am
May i know the difference between UAS and univeristies?
Universities are designed to prepare for a scientific career, UAS are designed to prepare for a job.

Computer science at a university is a mixture of mathematics and the theoretical foundations, the fundamentals that will still be relevant in 50 years. Students might learn the basics of programming, but such practical skills are not a core part of the studies.

UAS have similarities with vocational schools, with focus on practical skills and emphasis on internships/thesis at companies.
What they teach are the practical skills you will need in a job after graduation, most of this knowledge might be obsolete 20 years later.

Reality is not as black and white, with IT studies at universities also being a reasonable preparation for the job market and UAS also teaching a bit of the fundamentals. But the general tendency is for university studies to be more theoretical/mathematical and for UAS studies to be more practical and job oriented.
Is it easier to get in UAS compared to universities ?
You seem to be looking for a job, not for a scientific career.
This makes it clear that a university would not be the best option for you.
Omajenn1234 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:44 pm
And do you think that online self learning would be enough to get job in finland or degree would be much better ?
How can you demonstrate these skills in your CV?
How confident are you that your skills are already equivalent to the skills students get during multi-year full-time studies?
Omajenn1234 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:44 pm
What is your advice , im thinking that the best senario would be getting degree and while doing that learn online and try to start working as freelance,
Student jobs are possible, but have the same problem of finding one first.
Omajenn1234 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:44 pm
but im afraid it wont be easy to get in UAS or university
Application period for next autumn is around January, and entrance exams are in spring.
You should at least try.

I did already provide a link to an example for a vocational degree:
https://en.bc.fi/qualifications/full-st ... r-program/
A vocational degree is less than an UAS degree, but this might be the fastest way to a job.


Post Reply