How do I convert my undergraduation percentage into finnish GPA?

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
NotBlueLagoon

Post by NotBlueLagoon » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:26 am

Hi Guys!

I'll be applying for masters program in Finland Universities during their upcoming intake period. So while I was going through the admission requirements of universities, I've noticed they need somewhere around 3.7 GPA minimum to be eligible to apply. Also, applicants' scores are calculated by using their GPA earned during their bachelors program. Since I'm an international student, and we get percentages in our university, instead of grades on a 5-points scale, and minimum passing percentage here is 40% (max is 100%), how do I know whether the percentage I've scored in my bachelors is above 3.7?

Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

NukkuMatti

Re: How do I convert my undergraduation percentage into finnish GPA?

Post by NukkuMatti » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:10 pm

NotBlueLagoon wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:26 am
Hi Guys!

I'll be applying for masters program in Finland Universities during their upcoming intake period. So while I was going through the admission requirements of universities, I've noticed they need somewhere around 3.7 GPA minimum to be eligible to apply. Also, applicants' scores are calculated by using their GPA earned during their bachelors program. Since I'm an international student, and we get percentages in our university, instead of grades on a 5-points scale, and minimum passing percentage here is 40% (max is 100%), how do I know whether the percentage I've scored in my bachelors is above 3.7?

Thanks
I sincerely have no idea,.. but logically I would assume that if "3,7 out of 5" is the Finnish standard, then this would be "74% " ?
Just my guess...but give it some time here on the forum, someone will come up with the official figures.

NotBlueLagoon

Post by NotBlueLagoon » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:57 pm

NukkuMatti wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:10 pm
NotBlueLagoon wrote:
Hi Guys!

Thanks
I sincerely have no idea,.. but logically I would assume that if "3,7 out of 5" is the Finnish standard, then this would be "74% " ?
Just my guess...but give it some time here on the forum, someone will come up with the official figures.
Thank you very much for replying.

Welp, majority of people in my university have scored between 60-70%. I'm in this range too. So In general, how competitive are finnish universities? Especially ICT fields like computer science and data science. I can see almost all of them have acceptance rate <15%. And that's odd for finnish universitites. I mean, that kinda like Ivy League or any top American University. And do you think I have any chance to get admitted in these universities if I've GPA less than their requirements? How strict are they regarding their grades requirements?

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:21 pm

NotBlueLagoon wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:57 pm
NukkuMatti wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:10 pm
NotBlueLagoon wrote:
Hi Guys!

Thanks
Thank you very much for replying.

Welp, majority of people in my university have scored between 60-70%. I'm in this range too. So In general, how competitive are finnish universities? Especially ICT fields like computer science and data science. I can see almost all of them have acceptance rate <15%. And that's odd for finnish universitites. I mean, that kinda like Ivy League or any top American University. And do you think I have any chance to get admitted in these universities if I've GPA less than their requirements? How strict are they regarding their grades requirements?
I think your current grades are enough to register for an admission exam, I believe every Finn has to do the same, regardless of how good are their grades, maybe the exceptional good ones don't need it, but I have no details on that. Just get ready to do an admission exam..