English Teacher... well almost!

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
shazman

Post by shazman » Fri May 16, 2003 1:33 pm

Hi there !

Im looking to start work as a teacher of English as a foreign language... not fussed about the level of the students. But wheres a good place to start my search ?

I reckon most schools and companies start hiring around June/July - but I want to know where to get them while the opportunities are hot (so to speak) I have a few words in Finnish... my gf is helpful like that :wink:

So any helpful suggestions and Id be chuffed! Im ideally looking at Espoo or Helsinki as I live in "Green Dale" which is 30 minutes from the two cities.

Shaz

ps Oh and Im new to this site...finding it quite useful - so ta for the good work so far guys and gals :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jvrijn

Re: English Teacher... well almost!

Post by jvrijn » Fri May 16, 2003 2:30 pm

Welcome Shaz. Not sure about schools' recruiting season. Business recruiting is dead during July and slow during June and August. This is because during July the whole country shuts down. I don't think it is different for schools.

/jeroen

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri May 16, 2003 3:08 pm

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sara

Post by Sara » Fri May 16, 2003 3:25 pm

Hank W. wrote:Dunno what this is all about:

http://www.mol.fi/Tyovoimapalvelut/Paik ... 45230.html
I looked into that last year, youve basically got to set the whole thing up, find a place to run the classes, advertise for kids etc. Sounded like a lot of work with no guantee its going to earn you any money at the end of it.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Sat May 17, 2003 6:52 pm

Sara wrote:
Hank W. wrote:Dunno what this is all about:

http://www.mol.fi/Tyovoimapalvelut/Paik ... 45230.html
I worked with this lot in a previous incarnation.
I don't recommend it! I was being paid a wage (little), wasting time (a lot). Not worth it.

neil

Post by neil » Sun May 18, 2003 12:04 pm

shazman

Post by shazman » Thu May 22, 2003 2:22 pm

hmmm seems like there are options out there! 8)

Thanks guys and gals..... appreciate it loads.

Now all I have to do is sort out my residency permit - its proving a bugger. But such is life - it would be boring if it was too easy :wink:

Shazman

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Thu May 22, 2003 3:02 pm

What is the problem with the residency permit? Where are you from?

Tony

shazman

Post by shazman » Thu May 22, 2003 3:26 pm

Im British, and I have the passport to prove it :wink:

Basically I cant go to the Police without a Talonkirja and I cant get the Talonkirja without informing the Maistratti... and I need a social security number for the Maistratti otherwise they dont know I exist.

There must be an easier way! :x

Shaz

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Thu May 22, 2003 3:30 pm

Just go to the magistrate and register temporarily, they send you a bit of paper with a temporary henkilo number and your registered address. Take it to the police station and you should be away.

BTW what are you grounds for residency? Partner? Work?

Tony

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu May 22, 2003 3:31 pm

You get the personal identity number from the Maistraatti. Its not been called social security number since 1960's. You go there and say you want a number - they say you need to have a job first. Say perkele - it usually helps.
Cheers, Hank W.

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Thu May 22, 2003 3:35 pm

As Hank says, that is what they told me "you dont need one as you havent got a job, you wont need it at the police station", well I insisted and it took a couple of minutes. I specifically needed the address to be the same as my girlfriend (avovaimo - common law wife) as I was applying for residency on that basis. Still dont have a job, but oh well I have a five years residency, just need to sort out KELA now.

Tony

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu May 22, 2003 3:37 pm

tjawatts wrote:Just go to the magistrate and register temporarily, they send you a bit of paper with a temporary henkilo number
Well, its not "temporary" necessarily. Its yours for life if you come back in 20 years, they'll just activate it again.

problem is when calculating residence as long as you are not in the books, i.e. numbered, you do not exist therefore you are not eligible for anything so better get to the maistraatti and sort it all out. Now as Tony says if you are applying it due to a common-law wife better make sure she's not collecting any benefits on the side, as the databases are ubiquitous and you'll get nailed for discrepancies.
Cheers, Hank W.

shazman

Post by shazman » Mon May 26, 2003 12:03 pm

oh ok, well I just got back from the Maistraati and they have given me a form to take to the karakallion - to get the talonkirja. So its looking a little rosier :)

Thanx for the advice gang!!!!

Shaz

daive

Post by daive » Mon May 26, 2003 12:53 pm

tjawatts wrote:just need to sort out KELA now.

Tony

Well Kela is a pain in the arse, I think they should all be hung, stabbed and then shot! It took me ten minutes to get a residence permit and personal ID number. I waited for over 3 months to get a Kela card and even that was after a hassle. The personal ID number can be quite important if you make large purchases in stores, they sometimes ask for the last four digits to put on their copy of the receipt, but just claim ignorance and they will accept another form of ID!!

It all depends also on where you are situated as each area has their own office, we are in Vantaa and the service seems quite quick there in the maistraati etc, but other places will take much longer!