English Teacher... well almost!

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue May 27, 2003 12:07 pm

This is the English language school, that Nokia use for teaching their Finns English.
They are particularly interested if you have some other usefull speciality.
i.e. If you have IT or telecoms knowledge and you have those IT telecoms buzz words in your vocabulary.
http://www.josbel.com/index2.htm

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

pjb2320

Post by pjb2320 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:14 pm

I am wondering if you have any teaching certification or experience?

shazman

Post by shazman » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:23 pm

I am just finishing the TEFL certificate, Im doing quite well - as I have an average pass mark of 75%.

I have experience of presenting to small groups (as a former Software Salesman) but no specific teaching experience. I have been on several training courses - so Im familiar with the format of teaching and the basic dos and donts.

Sara

Post by Sara » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:29 pm

Shazman, where have you done the TEFL cert?

Donald

Post by Donald » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:29 pm

shazman wrote:I am just finishing the TEFL certificate, Im doing quite well - as I have an average pass mark of 75%.

I have experience of presenting to small groups (as a former Software Salesman) but no specific teaching experience. I have been on several training courses - so Im familiar with the format of teaching and the basic dos and donts.
Just remember three things:

1) T.M.T.T.
2) 90/10 rule
3) group/one to one

pjb2320

Post by pjb2320 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:29 pm

You may want to try the eures website. The site address is http://www.eures-jobs.com. There are some kindergarten jobs on this site but for most you need to be a certified teacher due to legal regulations, however, you can also post work wanted info. The other site you may want to look at is http://www.daveseslcafe.com. Jobs in Finland are scarce but they do exist on this site. And hey if Finland does not work out there are hundreds of jobs for teachers with a TOEFL certificate. Good luck

shazman

Post by shazman » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:32 pm

My course was a correspondence course, so Im hoping to get it wrapped up in the next two weeks. But alas I need a new monitor :roll: So until I can get that sorted Im a little stuck.

I thought Id bought one from this nerd, but hes forgotten to send it or something :x

typical!

Sara

Post by Sara » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:36 pm

could you pm me with the details please!! thanks :D

shazman

Post by shazman » Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:42 pm

Donald ? Huh ?

perhaps a slightly more detailed description of what your going on about...

I feel ever so dim for asking :oops: But its better than living in ignorance :wink:

Ta in advance,
Shaz

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:58 am

dusty_bin wrote:
Sara wrote:
Hank W. wrote:Dunno what this is all about:

http://www.mol.fi/Tyovoimapalvelut/Paik ... 45230.html
I worked with this lot in a previous incarnation.
I don't recommend it! I was being paid a wage (little), wasting time (a lot). Not worth it.

Dusty-bin: Was it by any chance the Kids' Club? I did that for 4 looooong months in Helsinki, and almost needed psychological therapy afterwards :shock:
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Remembah whea ya pahked ya cah!

nehia_qom

Post by nehia_qom » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:08 pm

I've jsut signed on to work with them (asuming permit comes through) ...Was it really so bad Caroline?? :shock: Please share your experience a little more.

Jessica

When choosing between two evils, always choose the one you haven't tried yet.
- Mae West

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:05 pm

nehia_qom wrote:I've jsut signed on to work with them (asuming permit comes through) ...Was it really so bad Caroline?? :shock: Please share your experience a little more.

Jessica

In summary:

When I signed up in 2000, they gave me all of the worst groups to teach- those with too many club members, and children with serious behavior problems. In the case of some of the clubs, I was the 3rd or 4th teacher that school year.

Communication was poor, despite the fact that Finland tops the world in mobile phone and Internet use. Supervisors often neglected to notify me about cancelled club meetings, so I did a lot of pointless rushing around, and then other times I'd be "snatched" at the end of one club meeting and asked to substitute at moment's notice for another club meeting, without having any time to prepare a suitable lesson.

Discrepancy in club "help language" policy: At least half of the other teachers I met were native Finnish speakers who used some Finnish when necessary during the lessons. The supervisors insisted that we NEVER use Finnish, and at my interview they made it clear that they were only interested in my English-speaking skills. When I used only English, so many of the kids rebelled- calling me names, throwing classroom objects at me, etc. When I started to use Finnish, I earned some respect from the kids, but the supervisors gently reprimanded me. The last time I checked the program's website, it stated that all teachers should be fluent in English and either Finnish or Swedish. After I moved up here to Oulu, I interviewed with the Ostrobothnian regional program director, who agreed that Finnish should be used when necessary during the lessons, so as not to alienate the kids who don't understand any English.

Basically in the beginning they told me that the work offer was designed for university students who were trying to earn some extra income, and that it is not really intended for people to make a living.

Then the work permit issue: I don't have your background information handy.....do you already have a residency permit? If not, and if you do not have an EU passport either, you might not get a work permit approved based on the Kids' Club if you are already in Finland. I tried that and it didn't work. But that was 3 years ago. Bureaucracy may have changed. If you already have a residency permit and/or an EU passport, that's a different story.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:25 pm

I want to add that I think the theory behind the program is EXCELLENT; they just need to make up their minds about some issues and be better organized.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:22 am

Kids Club --- BBBLLLEEECCCHHH!!!!!

I do not have a good word to say for them!

The incarnation in which I worked with them, the organisation was bad and the wages very low, given the time taken to travel from class to class. Most of the teachers were spending several hours to earn just a couple of hours money.
I have a car and the franchisee did pay me extra to take classes in the way out 'burbs, supposedly to run back to back, but it never happened. We were supposed to use English only, but classes had ankle-biters from about 6 to 11 years old, making English only impossible. In the end I used to take my laptop with me, fire up some animated stories in English and talk about the pictures. We aslo went on walks around the school grounds with the kids telling me stuff in English.

Today the new franchisee has the idea that folk will go out, find a school, negotiate a room, advertise the class, teach the kids, collect the money and he will take most of the revenue and pay you based upon the number of kids. He would be more honest to just go and mug people at the railway station! IIRC, he is the third franchisee since I arrived here.

CRAP CONCEPT run by incompetants using desparate people to 'teach' unwilling kids, sent by parents who want to work an extra hour but don't have a babysitter...

nehia_qom

Post by nehia_qom » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:19 pm

Well after the many times of sending back and forth the form for my work permit with them...I got a different job. And I asked the people if they can do both jobs on my work permit and they said yes and then pointed out that the form was STILL not complete :roll: so I would have to send it back to him again and they would wait with the permit for my other job. I decided to forget the whole thing. Now I just have to figure out how to "politely" :twisted: thank him for all his help, but I found a job that is not virtualy slave labour.

Jessica

When choosing between two evils, always choose the one you haven't tried yet.
- Mae West