'Thank you' letters?

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Dara

'Thank you' letters?

Post by Dara » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:56 pm

Hi all!

I have a new question regarding that horribly complicated job-hunting process. What is the situation with the 'Thank you' letters in Finland?
My husband has applied for a job and received an answer thanking for his application and saying that they are still reviewing the rest of the applications and when they finish with that they will contact him for "possible follow-up". Now we sit here and wonder if he shall write a "Thank you' and 'Looking forward to hearing from you' letter... So what do you think about that?

:?:

'Thank you' letters?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Mai

Post by Mai » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:02 pm

Nope, usually these letters are automated/pre-made answers and don't require answering. They are oftentimes sent to all the aplicants. However, if the letter is personal and is obviously sent just for the hubby (maybe quoting something from his aplication or even asking for more information) then naturally answering is ok.

Dara

Post by Dara » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:04 pm

Well it is adressed directly to him, but I guess this could be done automaticaly as well... so not sure if it was send automaticaly or manualy :?

Dara

Post by Dara » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:13 pm

Yeha, I guess you are right. We will just wait and see what happens next... if anything at all... :| At least this was the first reply to a job application which has our family name spelled right! :lol:

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:50 pm

It won't do any harm. In fact, perhaps he could telephone them...

If they don't read the letter, then nothing is lost, other than the cost of a stamp. If it is read, it may help to make his application more 'sticky'. I can't imagine anyone actually getting your hubby's application out and throwing it away becasue he wrote a follow up. If they did, well, you would not want to work for such a rude bunch of people anyway!

Handsome

Re: 'Thank you' letters?

Post by Handsome » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:27 am

Dara wrote:Now we sit here and wonder if he shall write a "Thank you' and 'Looking forward to hearing from you' letter... So what do you think about that?
There'd be nothing wrong with writing a thank you letter at all. It just shows you have manners.

Stu
Last edited by Handsome on Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dara

Post by Dara » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:56 am

Well actually I guess a reply would be just a question of good manners. After all, as you said Dave, it will do no difference - no harm done if nothing else.

BAT

Post by BAT » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:28 pm

sparks1061, would a thank you letter get to you if it was addressed to you personally?

Perhaps thank you letters would be most effective if sent directly to the people who will make the hiring decision. (Maybe calling and asking the secretary who is the person (people) deciding.) Doesn't hurt to send one anyway I suppose. It is always much easier to send a thank you note after an interview, because you have met the recruiter(s) and know who to send the letter(s) to.

Good luck to your hubby Dara!