Studying in Finland - ***** READ THIS FIRST *****

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:49 pm

In Finland, all degree programmes in universities and polytechnics are "free". That is, there are no tuition fees (A few executive MBA's and such 'special courses' excluded).

However, you need to be able to cover your living expenses yourself since any sort of scholarships are usually only applicable to post-Master's level studies or research. As a rule, the Finnish government does not provide any financial assistance for foreign Bachelor's or Master's level students. So in that sense, education is not "free". (It's not 'free' for us Finns either, we pay for it through our much-beloved taxation system :wink:)

Here's something to get you started:

http://finland.cimo.fi (general info on studying etc)

http://www.admissions.fi On-line application to polytechnics' (universities of applied sciences) international programmes

http://www.migri.fi - see section "Students" about the official permit matters and requirements

So... you could get acquainted with those for a start...!

As for the English language programmes in the Universities, basically university education is in Finnish or Swedish. However there are English master degree courses, you have to have a bachelor's degree from your home country to apply for them. http://www.universityadmissions.fi Each university has a bit different application procedure, so they have slightly different rules. You must go to each Universitys homepage and read the directions there. And yes, if you can not find this information, there is little use for you to apply.

For students wishing to come study on an exchange, from EU there is for example the Erasmus programme, and from other places there are some reciprocal programmes. However you must look at your own current university's exchange programmes list as to what is available. The Finnish universitied do accept exchange students, but again => you need to look at their websites.

Statistics speak of a very hard way in, like this article off the Helsingin Sanomat International Edition

From the 7,170 applications received, 20% - 1,484 were admitted and some 1,100 actually started their studies.

Note "applications are usually unsatisfactory, as they lack the necessary certificates" which means do not waste your time - or ours asking for stupid questions - if you do not have the certificates they require. They want "excellent applications including all the necessary enclosures".

Likewise: write your own applications. "We have noticed in previous years that in some countries there are offices who write and send applications on behalf of people. This has become self-evident as several applicants have sent certain documents, for example motivational letters, with identical contents", Laitinen reports, suggesting that applications have become almost an industrial activity."Once the applicants notice that this kind of organised activity is not successful, the number of such applications decreases".

And as a final note: "Where can I find a job to support my studies." Remember the preamble of your residence permit is you're supposed to study full-time, not work. You are allowed to do 20 hrs/week + holidays and your practical training - but you must show enough study credits to renew your residence permit. And the job market in Finland - especially if you do not speak the language - is initially very tough. Though having any job is one thing and then a real job in your profession, doing practical training and thesis for a company you might be able to land a permanent job with is another.

It might be "free" but not cheap. ;)
Last edited by Hank W. on Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:50 pm

Except new statistics next year ;)
by mita on Thu Mar 06, 2008
Hi,
I am in the Internationl business program at Haaga-Helia. Started in January.
6000 people applied, 1500 had the needed documents (secondary school certificate) and were invited to the exam.
Just over 200 actually took the exam. Then 35 were accepted to the school.
Last edited by Hank W. on Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, Hank W.

shawn1980ma

new memeber / I like this topic...

Post by shawn1980ma » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:25 am

Hi-

I just joined the forum. I found this very interesting. My name is Shawn, I am from the United States, I am 27, I am very intrigued by the country of Finland in particular. Mainly because other countries like Italy, Germany, Spain, France are the popular ones and I find more interest in the small peaceful more mysterious countries. Here in the states they do not teach much, if any history of Finland, though I wish to learn. I am very interested in the language, though at this time I am not sure with my own current responsibilities if I would have the time to learn, unless I was studying full time.
I have never traveled outside the Unites States. It would be an amazing life experience to study in Finland. I am sure though as an international student there would be tuition fees, yes?
IS there dorms? Sort of like the US?

Jukka Aho

Re: new memeber / I like this topic...

Post by Jukka Aho » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:10 am

shawn1980ma wrote:IS there dorms? Sort of like the US?
Not really. There are some places which could be likened to dorms in some respects (opiskelija-asuntola), but the most common form of student housing is either a so-called soluasunto (two to four students – sometimes more – sharing the same apartment, each with their own bedroom but with a common kitchen and bathroom), or just renting a small one-room flat (which has become increasingly popular.) These two types of accommodation are commonly offered by the local student housing foundation (opiskelija-asuntosäätiö – see the links on the right sidebar for some examples; many of the have at least a part of their website available in English, too) although similar apartments could be rented from private landlords as well.
znark

shawn1980ma

Cost , tuition for an international?

Post by shawn1980ma » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:22 am

Thank you for the reply.

I am interested in taking a 4-5 day vacation in a few months to Helsinki.
It would be a nice thought to actually persue a masters degree from the university. I am not sure if my Bachelors in Psychology from New York, would count in Finland, and if a Masters in Psychology from Finland would count back at home in the job market.

As far as schooling though, as an international I have not found any information browsing at the University of Helsinki's website of the cost of tuition for an international. I would NOT expect tuition would be free at all, being an international I have not paid your taxes.
This respectively makes sense, but you never know I could be wrong.

sammy

Re: Cost , tuition for an international?

Post by sammy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:31 am

shawn1980ma wrote:Thank you for the reply.

I am interested in taking a 4-5 day vacation in a few months to Helsinki.
It would be a nice thought to actually persue a masters degree from the university. I am not sure if my Bachelors in Psychology from New York, would count in Finland, and if a Masters in Psychology from Finland would count back at home in the job market.

As far as schooling though, as an international I have not found any information browsing at the University of Helsinki's website of the cost of tuition for an international. I would NOT expect tuition would be free at all, being an international I have not paid your taxes.
This respectively makes sense, but you never know I could be wrong.
Well tuition IS free (if you happen to find a Master's programme in psychology that's available in English), but you need to cover your living costs yourself since you would not be eligible for the Finnish government student grant. Please see http://www.uvi.fi -> English -> Students -> non-EU citizens for the student residence permit matters.

(and check out the links above - also http://www.universityadmissions.fi )

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: Cost , tuition for an international?

Post by Hank W. » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:46 pm

shawn1980ma wrote:I would NOT expect tuition would be free at all
It must be as tuition fees for degree studies are illegal :twisted:

There's been talk on imposing fees for non-EU students; but so far only talk.

As what comes to what is offered in English language - so as beggars cannot be choosers, you study what is offered :twisted: - in other words RTFM above. ;)
Cheers, Hank W.

mita

Post by mita » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:05 am

"RTFM"
Read the friendly message?
Have a nice day!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:11 pm

:lol: indeed
Cheers, Hank W.

rachelnguyen

Re: Studying in Finland - ***** READ THIS FIRST *****

Post by rachelnguyen » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:26 pm

I am Asian. I know that studying Finland is free, we just pay for living expenses. Therefore, I think studying Finland is much cheaper than any countries in Europe. I heard that it just take 3000-4000 EU per year, isn't it?

sammy

Post by sammy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:55 pm

rachelnguyen wrote:I am Asian. I know that studying Finland is free, we just pay for living expenses. Therefore, I think studying Finland is much cheaper than any countries in Europe. I heard that it just take 3000-4000 EU per year, isn't it?
What you actually spend is of course up to you, but for student residence permit purposes (non-EU nationals) you NEED to have according to the following epistle:
(T)he applicant must show that his or her income is secured either with a scholarship, a grant or other funds with which the student can support him- or herself during the academic year.

Students must be able to prove that they have at their disposal at least 500 euros a month or 6000 euros for a year. If the educational institution offers free tuition, accommodation and meals, the required amount can be reduced.

The funding of a student participating in an exchange programme between a Finnish and a foreign university may be arranged through the exchange programme.
See: http://www.migri.fi (Finnish Immigration Service)

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:25 pm

Therefore, I think studying Finland is much cheaper than any countries in Europe.
You should remember that it is almost certainly impossible for you to find a part-time job to supplement the money you have, this can be a very important point for prospective students to consider.

/interleukin

rachelnguyen

Post by rachelnguyen » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:28 am

Thank you for your reply.
I know that how much money for living cost depends on me, but some studying service centre said that it just costs 3000-4000EU per year. Therefore, I am wondering that it is possible to live in Finland with that money and in general how much for non- Finish students live to study in Finland

rinso

Post by rinso » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:34 am

You need to show at least 6000 € or you will not get a permit.

rapses

Post by rapses » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:48 am

rachelnguyen wrote:I am Asian. I know that studying Finland is free, we just pay for living expenses. Therefore, I think studying Finland is much cheaper than any countries in Europe. I heard that it just take 3000-4000 EU per year, isn't it?
Before deciding to come to Finland for studying you must be clear about your goals and resources. Education in Finland is free, but the living costs in this country are 15-20 times higher than Asian countries :( It is not impossible to get job without knowing finnish, especially in big cities like Helsinki or Tampere, but it is very difficult to find one. I know many Asian students who have to do cleaning jobs in restaurants and ships to support themselves. Even after getting your degree, the chances are high that you would have to fend yourself by doing odd jobs. Above all, it is my personal view that the quality of education in Finland is not that high as they make it out to be. Therefore check whether you have enough resources to support yourself in this country and would you get a job in your home country some times after doing your degree. Otherwise you might end up doing cleaning jobs in this country forever.