Studying in Finland - ***** READ THIS FIRST *****

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Sakari

Re: Studying in Finland - ***** READ THIS FIRST *****

Post by Sakari » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:08 pm

Check out the first post of this thread

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24753

And asking about the entry tests to universities is such a vague question. Maybe if you could define the place that you would like to apply some more and people could actually try to help.

"piereskellä <- to "shout" a lot, kind of like Hank" -rob34

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

eplabunog

INQUIRY ON SCHOOL CHOICES

Post by eplabunog » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:37 am

Hi. Im Edbert from the Philippines. I will be lodging my application for the August 2009 term. I have already browsed through most of the official websites of UAS in Finland. Though, I havent made up my mind on which UAS I would be sending my application. For my intended course (International Business), only a few have scheduled entrance examinations in Asia. I prefer Haaga-Helia and Metropolia, with Arcada as a third choice. However ,the first two UAS have arranged entrance exams in Finland only. One site I came across suggested that my first option for UAS should be any of those having exams in Asia. I also understand that if I pass the exam (of my 1st option UAS), I will then be admitted to the said polytechnic.
So what are my options ? I really wanted to enrol in either Haaga or Metropolia. i ALSO LEARNED THAT THESE two UAS consider the results of exams of other UAS (enrolling in the same course).
Any Filipinos studying in Helsinki???????

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:48 am

I prefer Haaga-Helia and Metropolia, with Arcada as a third choice. However ,the first two UAS have arranged entrance exams in Finland only.
Because they are popular, they don't need to lobby for students.
i ALSO LEARNED THAT THESE two UAS consider the results of exams of other UAS
If they have more candidates than places, who do you think will get the place? Their own candidate or someone from an other UAS.
I also understand that if I pass the exam (of my 1st option UAS), I will then be admitted to the said polytechnic.
No, it depends on the number of places and the number of passed candidates. They start with the top results.

Burak

Post by Burak » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:57 pm

I'm Burak, from Turkey. I applied for Master's Programme in Electrical Engineering at Helsinki University of Technology (TKK). I got my positive outcome today and now I'm waiting for Confirmation form.

I was wondering if I could ask you a couple of questions.

-Does my programme require any entrance exam? I couldn’t find any information about that. Also, how is the quality of studying at TKK and campus life?
-I don’t know Finnish language at all. So will that be a problem for me in Helsinki? (regarding living and possible work situations)
-I'm thinking about renting a 1-room flat nearby the campus. How much does it cost? Is it easy to find accommodation?

I'll appreciate if you can answer my questions. Thanks in advance.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:43 pm

Well, probably they do have an entrance exam - they generally send you an invitation letter so you can get your visa to come take the test. And then you have to go back and wait for admission and then apply for the residence permit. Its all explained at http://www.migri.fi ...as for housing theres student dorms - if you are lucky you get one near the campus. They're not luxus but they're cheap - problem is finding one - you really take what you get otherwise studio prices are something like 700/mo. As for Helsinki if all those Kurds can achieve selling pizza and kebab then it shouldn't be impossible. Hower the language is the key to any job - and right now the economy being in the cringe theres a lot of students battling for the same jobs. But TKK is if not the top notch tech in Finland so if you get in thats an achievement in itself.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Burak

Post by Burak » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Pursuivant wrote:Well, probably they do have an entrance exam - they generally send you an invitation letter so you can get your visa to come take the test. And then you have to go back and wait for admission and then apply for the residence permit. Its all explained at http://www.migri.fi ...as for housing theres student dorms - if you are lucky you get one near the campus. They're not luxus but they're cheap - problem is finding one - you really take what you get otherwise studio prices are something like 700/mo. As for Helsinki if all those Kurds can achieve selling pizza and kebab then it shouldn't be impossible. Hower the language is the key to any job - and right now the economy being in the cringe theres a lot of students battling for the same jobs. But TKK is if not the top notch tech in Finland so if you get in thats an achievement in itself.
Thanks alot mate.

So i have to go to Finland for entrance exam before I get my residence permit. I need to start studying some stuff again. :)

Actually I'm not interested in dorms. But I think i have no other choice, if even studio prices are around 700Euro/m. Crazy!

EP

Post by EP » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Those Otaniemi dorms are not the kind of dorms that first comes to mind when one hears the word. Everyone has his/her own room + toilet + shower. The kitchen and livingroom are shared.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:01 pm

Burak wrote: Actually I'm not interested in dorms.
Its a little more private than turkish (or finnish) army barracks.

Burak

Post by Burak » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:04 pm

Pursuivant wrote:Its a little more private than turkish (or finnish) army barracks.
Alright. I got it. :)

By the way, is there any chance for working as a lab assistant or tutor at the university?
And If yes, how much are they paid?

Burak

Post by Burak » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:47 pm

Anybody knows about it? :?:

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:12 pm

Make a new topic with your question, this thread is just "basics" one should read so it won't catch attention.

Argentiinalainen

Post by Argentiinalainen » Thu May 07, 2009 11:27 pm

Pursuivant wrote:Make a new topic with your question, this thread is just "basics" one should read so it won't catch attention.

I agree with you, sir!!!

However, I wish this gentleman finds an answer for his question!!

Hae

Post by Hae » Tue May 19, 2009 11:44 am

I don't think Finland is cheaper than any other place in Europe besides Denmark. Rachel, I don't think 3k-4k eur/year will be enough unless you can live with water only. I think you can get NORDIC FRESH FINNISH TAB WATER everywhere for free. Realistically speaking, multiply the minimum living cost (if there is any statistic or survey) multiplied by 2.5 (living variation factor). Plus, you need your own health insurance.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:20 am

kahome57 wrote:What a travesty!
The topic is studying in Finland, not how you dress into womens clothes.

forest_girl

Post by forest_girl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:33 pm

Here I have a question, not for me, but still I am interested to know. While migri.fi does not specify anything concrete on this question, maybe here are some people who know this. If an EU-citizen is accepted to the university and is coming to study here, will he have to prove his support income to some institution? I have heard about non-EU citizens and the 6000euros per year, how about EU-citizens? :roll: