Studying in Finland - ***** READ THIS FIRST *****

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
dogarson

Re: Studying in Finland - ***** READ THIS FIRST *****

Post by dogarson » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:33 am

I m Tariq from Pakistan. I heard Finland country from diffrent ways eg. My friends, online and newspapers.That, this country is very piecful and very important that its study is so good different ccontries and is free of cost. So I wnt to join Finland college. So consult me More about this. Best Regard

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:54 am

Last statistics said of about one course: 6000 people applied, 1500 had the needed documents (secondary school certificate) and were invited to the exam. Just over 200 actually took the exam. Then 35 were accepted to the school. So if you are one of the 6000, you really should not bother wasting time. If you have a chance being one of the 200, you really don't need to ask for consulting.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

firativerson

Post by firativerson » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:24 am

hey , i ve been reading some topics its very helpful but language is kinda hmm harsh!! anyways, i m in california , Ventura college studying computer science, i wanna transfer to a finnish university in helsinki is that possible or should i start all over. Not a big deal that was my first year in college. Well another question maybe its not about studying but still i wanna ask, i dont know about the immigration rules there. Is it possible to start a life in Finland? i mean after school getting a job and having permit to stay as much as i want... Also u guys have mustang there? :)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:42 am

The Finnish immigration authority is at http://www.migri.fi you're a computer student so use the magic Googlepowers. ;) Well, on the studying part itself don't think a direct transfer necessarily works - to get into a master programme you have to have a bachelors degree, and the amount of English masters programmes is low and the competition into them hard. Polytechnics have more programmes, but not necessarily easier to to get to. Unless you can get on some sort of student exchange, but those require reciprocal agreements. And Mustang is in Tibet.
Cheers, Hank W.

teddymwas

Post by teddymwas » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi

My name is teddy I hail from east of Africa and i applied for a study place in haaga helia (BBit degree course)i have a couple of friends who secured study places there a while back and they all say that Finland is a good place ....peacefull,serene and the guys there are so honest and respectable people.
Anyway my question is for an int student(who doesnt understand a word in finnish) how hard is it to find a good job after and inbtween a degree course??????
and if you find one (even if its cleaning , any job ) whats the pay on average ???????
Thanks guys C yah when i get there :D

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:07 pm

Well, you have to be very good in what you do (codingwise) to be employed by a multinational big enough to not bother with the language... Peaceful and serene... empty and boring say others :lol: BIT is a good programme, good luck.
Cheers, Hank W.

Revy

Post by Revy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:18 pm

Even though studying in Finland is seeming like an incredibly daunting task, I am still determined to try. But it's hard to find the right information.
I have found a lot of information on Exchange programs, but very little on simply studying over there.
I live in England at the moment and am unsure where to go.
Any help?

Revy

Post by Revy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:18 pm

*sorry I posted it twice*

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:26 pm

Revy wrote:Even though studying in Finland is seeming like an incredibly daunting task, I am still determined to try. But it's hard to find the right information.
I have found a lot of information on Exchange programs, but very little on simply studying over there.
I live in England at the moment and am unsure where to go.
U. of Birmingham, Aston or Birmingham City University.

When you have your Bacherlors degree, come over here to do a Masters.

That is the the route which is most likely to have a successful outcome.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:34 pm

Revy wrote: I live in England at the moment and am unsure where to go.
A pub crawl in Digbeth and then for a swim with the floozie in the jacuzzi? :lol: As the above gentleman says - or then try to get into a polytechnic, though the applications' just been and gone.
Cheers, Hank W.

Revy

Post by Revy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:51 pm

@sinikala- Thanks for replying! Well at the moment I'm studying in college and am not part of a university, i was hoping to study at a University in Finland. But I can't find the information. I maight be considered mad, but i want to try and get into the Sibelius Acedemy. I really want to persue my music as far as I can.

@Hank-haha xD I would if I had A. the money and B. the Jacuzzi :lol:

sammy

Post by sammy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:11 am

Revy wrote:i was hoping to study at a University in Finland. But I can't find the information.
The page http://www.universityadmissions.fi would probably be your best starting point, if you already know which university you're interested in. The universities' contact details & web pages can be found there; the polytechnics (universities of applied sciences) have a somewhat similar admission page http://www.admissions.fi - for general info see also http://www.studyinfinland.fi

Revy

Post by Revy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:40 pm

Thanks for helping me out! Much appreciated :D
If anyone gets anymore ideas don't hesitate to say, can use all the help I can get haha :P

Salopian

Post by Salopian » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:50 pm

In case you haven't checked this out yet, cast your eyes here. A good pdf on available courses can be found on the right, near the top of the page.

In complete agreement with what Sinikala expressed earlier, I'd deffo do a bachelor's back in blighty first, possibly with a semester exchange in Finland, and think about a master's here after that. A three year bachelor's degree here can be very heavy, especially with trying to learn Finnish and writing a thesis and/or completing a traineeship. *Nightmare*. Take it easy back in the UK and enjoy yourself first :D

All the best.
Beth? Hä? 什么?

ImageImage

luybeo

Post by luybeo » Fri May 30, 2008 12:48 pm

Hi guys.
I am Vietnamese. I would like to ask something about Universities of Applied Science in Finland. Actually they are polytechnics, right? Are Finnish polytechnics of much lower quality than universities? And can students graduating from UAS get good jobs? I have been accepted by a Japanese university and am waiting for result from Vaasa UAS. If I am accepted by Vaasa too, it is difficult for me to choose where to go. :? Can you please give me some advice? I am stuck. :beamer: Thank you in advance.