Advice needed

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
tom

Advice needed

Post by tom » Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:57 pm

Hi Guys

One of my mates is comming here and wants to work freelance by translating written texts etc from english into Italian, German, French and Dutch and vice versa. Also he has a degree in journalism and asks about writing freelance for english newspapers etc possibly on finnish topics ?

Any advice would be a help, he arrives in 2 weeks and will stay with me until he gets sorted.

regards

Robert

Advice needed

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:36 pm

My girlfriend is a freelance translator, does most of her stuff via the web. A lot of her work comes from Finland, but that is because one of her languages is Finnish. I would assume work for your friend would have to come from abroad. Obviously has to set himself up with the Finnish authorities for the priviledge of paying tax (and VAT if over EUR8,000 earnt from Finnish clients).

BTW he has to be careful how he promotes which languages he does, if people see to many they think it is amateurish. A lot of people only use translators translating into their native language (or equivalent).

If you want to know more let me know.

Tony

tom

Post by tom » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:20 pm

Thanks for the help. I know he definatly speaks no Finnish however his french and german are good the others i will ask him.

If you have more details its a big help for example how does your girlfriend find work online and where does she promote her services.

Thanks again,

Robert

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:33 pm

If you go to our culture a cusine section and look for a thread called Finland and Motor Sport...look for a response from WLM...he is one of the editors responsible for this paper:
http://www.helsinki-hs.net/
As you can see he is on holiday until end of the month ..but you could try to PM him when he is back.

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:30 pm

One place to look is proz.com a website for translators where you can bid for work, find out information and ask questions of other translators.

Then it is just searching for agencies and signing up with as many as possible. Eventually some work comes and then the repeat business makes it easier after a while (6month to a year maybe). You also have to be careful that the agency is reputable and is going to pay (you can always search around for other peoples' experience).

My girlfriend also has/had/will have a website but I dont know if she ever got any clients via that.

Regarding the languages, the most important thing is the "into" language, it is that language that usually has to be native(level). The other thing is for "popular" languages there are more translators so it is harder to find work (e.g. Eva does Finnish-English and Spansih-English amongst others and she gets much more Finnish-English than Spanish-English).

Tony ;-)

tom

Post by tom » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:33 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks again for the advice. Out of interest how much on average per week does she make, i know its personal but do you think about 200 euro per week would be possible?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:43 pm

Before or after taxes?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:29 pm

Problem is the income isnt constant. Eva does make more than EUR 200 a week (after tax), but at the beginning she probably didnt. When you are starting out work can be very patchy and slow, it may take a while to get on your feet, so I wouldnt rely on it to support you. But if you perserve after a while (couple of years probably) you will have work coming out of your ears and will have to get in touch with the tax office to raise your monthly payments ;-)

Tony