Anyone from Tampere?

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Jerz

Anyone from Tampere?

Post by Jerz » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:42 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm in Tampere right now and looking for any job, I joined my
girlfriend who lives here (she is a Finn) and now my situation is a
little complicated. I come from Poland, so I'm not an EU citizen. I must
find job to be able to stay here, otherwise I must leave in three
months.

Two weeks ago I graduated (MA) from The Warsaw School of Social
Psychology. The subject of my master thesis was "The political
socialization of adolescents in Germany". I've studied one year in
Germany and I speak German well, but my English is unfortunately not so
good. I have some job experiences from Poland, but no international
Practice.

If anyone have any idea which are the possibilities of taking any job
here please write.

Regards,
Pawel

Anyone from Tampere?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

neil

Post by neil » Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:05 pm

Hi Pawel

Welcome to the group. My advice to you would be to find a job washing dishes or cleaning or something FIRST as that would then 'buy you time' so that you can stay. THEN sort out the 'proper' job after that as it can take some time.

Contact all the restaurants, hotels and bars in the area to see if they need someone. At least once you've got a job it will be easier for you to get an extension on your residence permit. If you dont find anything soon then it will a case of "buckle your seatbelt Dorothy, because Kansas (or in your case Tampere), is going bye-bye (from the Matrix).

Good luck!
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

Jerz

Post by Jerz » Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:12 pm

Thank you for answer Neil. I will try to find something, hopefully it is
possible to get something better than washing dishes... but for now I
don't see any better possibilities :(

Regards,
Pawel

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:33 pm

Jerz:

I am a non-EU citizen myself (from the USA). Things *might* be different now, but in 1999 when I first tried to settle the immigration bureaucracy, I learned that it is almost impossible for a non-EU citizen to get work rights and residency permission after arrival in Finland unless the applicant is:

- common-law (means living together but not married) or legal spouse of a Finnish citizen for at least 2 years outside of Finland

- an asylum seeker

- expecting a biological child with a Finnish citizen

- recruited for a highly specialized job that cannot easily be filled by a Finn (easier said than done)

My guess is that you probably won't have much trouble finding a job, but you will have trouble convincing the immigration authorities to approve residency and work rights based on that.

If you apply for residency in Finland, it will take months to get a decision, and they keep your passport the whole time, so you can't leave the country, and if they deny permission, you have to leave Finland for 3 months.

As I understand, Poland will join the EU next year, so if you can hold on until then, the situation will become much easier...?

If you are ready to get married......do that....it also makes the situation much easier.

- Someone who's "been there, done that" :)

Good luck!

By the way, I am part Polish myself, and it's interesting to consider that, if Poland joins the EU and I become a naturalized Finnish citizen, I could theoretically live in Poland!
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Remembah whea ya pahked ya cah!

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:51 pm

Isn't it so that the visa applications from coming EU-member states are expected to be treated as if they came from a member state?

It makes a difference if a visum application comes from a Polish or Estland-citizen or from let's say Bulgaria, Turkey or Kazakhstan.

Something like that I may have read in a the newspapers. Perhaps somebody else knows more about that.