Student jobs... waitering... in demand

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
sodengiles

Post by sodengiles » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:25 am

Hi,
just thought i would let any future students and any other people who need a job that most of the chain hotels in Helsinki are usually always looking for extra staff (especially at the mo), they employ these extras through companies such as Extra or Opteam (where i belong) who hire labour out. Although they do require a little experience , it has never hurt anyone to bend the reality a little :roll: For those who just need a job, its not too bad, one learns a bit of finnish and if you work in a restaurent there are tips too.
I have mentioned these companies before but i thought i would again for the benefit of anyone who this may help.
regards
Roland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

meenfreem

Post by meenfreem » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:12 am

i called them last month, which was obviously a bad time because they told me to call back half-august... so that they can do intakes in english.

so i reckon now is the time :)

sodengiles

Post by sodengiles » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:45 pm

I think now is probably a better time, things were rather quite last month ... most companies were on holiday and so there were no company events and although there were tourists then, there are many more now. Expecially from southern Europe, where people are coming here in the hope of finding cooler temperatures.

good luck with phoning them

*Jargoa*

Post by *Jargoa* » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:51 pm

I was at extra services the other day and they said that they have absoulutely no work at the moment for anyone... any other ideas for getting around this???
-We do not remember days... We remember moments- Cesare Pavese

neil

Post by neil » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:06 pm

More importantly, the students are going back so more jobs will come available from now on....
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

sodengiles

Post by sodengiles » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:57 pm

Well Jargoa,
I know that the large hotel companies: Scandic and Radisson SAS need some staff and generally the best is to go through one of the recruitment agencies, because from your point of view you can take on work for when it suits you and form the hotels point of view they do not have to commit themselves.
By the way i went to extra in April and they have not phoned me once, however Opteam have given me plenty of work. But if they still say they are not recruiting, one solution is to go straight to the big hotels, head for the restaurant and ask to speak to the manager or duty manager and take it form there.
good luck,
regards
Roland

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:04 am

sodengiles wrote:Well Jargoa,
I know that the large hotel companies: Scandic and Radisson SAS need some staff ...one solution is to go straight to the big hotels, head for the restaurant and ask to speak to the manager or duty manager
Roland
Maippi works for Sokos Hotels..I asked her..
She says that they have a list of "casual/part time staff" they call on for work such as their terrace bars...but the terraces are closing this week for winter. :cry:
For the restaurants it is down to the retuarant manager or head waiter, or the chef for kitchen staff, the hotel manager is only concerned with the rooms/bookings unless there is a problem or complaint that the restaurant manger cannot handle.
There is a growing trend for hotels to out source areas not directly related to the hotel room bookings. Very few hotels employ their own cleaners, the night clubs and some bars are also often rented out.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:28 am

Why would they *hire* anybody when they can get them for *free*???

All vocational/polytechnic students *must* fulfill 6-12 months of "practical training", the hotels/bars/travel agents/shops etc. very eagerly exploit this "free labor". I managed to get paid back in 1994, but I think there was only one in my class of 25 that did.

If you get only an unpaid "practical" you get the student handout.

If you don't do your "practical" you don't get your diploma/ won't get to the next grade (vocational practicals are sometimes but not always in two parts)

Also another thing is that people been long-term unemployed get a state "shelter job" the government pays the salary so that is another "free labor" instance.

Nobody hires anybody here, because it is too expensive. In the USA there is 5 hotel staff to do the job Finnish Maippi's do alone.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:48 am

Hank W. wrote:Why would they *hire* anybody when they can get them for *free*???

Nobody hires anybody here, because it is too expensive. In the USA there is 5 hotel staff to do the job Finnish Maippi's do alone.
These are the facts..I just quizzed Maippi.she says that they do use these "free trainees"..Sokos use the Haaga training school..but they are used with the genuine intention of selecting the best for offering full time employment on graduation, not just a source of free labour.

But back to the point of this thread...sorry in most Sokos Hotels... :cry: The casual staff are rarely needed out side of the holiday seasons. Oh and did I mention..must be fluent Finnish/English at least, unless it is a kitchen or cleaning job. Pubs are not so fussy but hotels have residents/guests who are paying a lot for their rooms and and expect any staff to understand them.