Toiminimi

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Jamie

Toiminimi

Post by Jamie » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:13 pm

Moi!

I have just set up a Tmi. I just wanted to check a couple of things; is it correct you can claim 39c for every KM you drive in your own car (it is in my own name outside the tmi)? Also just got a dentist's bill, can I stick that through? Not that I am complaining- my root canal treatment cost about a tenth of what it have done in the UK.

Anyway other nice Tmi benefits?

Thanks
Jamie

Toiminimi

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:25 pm

Moi!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:12 pm

Yes, but for to get the 39c you need to keep a diary "ajopäiväkirja" they sell in bookstores. Then you have to make a note:
103 201km 12km Helsinki-Vantaa Persaukisten Oy
103 213km 5km oma ajo
103 218km 22km Espoo-Helsinki Köyhien Oy

etc. etc.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

gavin

Post by gavin » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:03 pm

Hank W. wrote:Yes, but for to get the 39c you need to keep a diary "ajopäiväkirja" they sell in bookstores. Then you have to make a note:
103 201km 12km Helsinki-Vantaa Persaukisten Oy
103 213km 5km oma ajo
103 218km 22km Espoo-Helsinki Köyhien Oy

etc. etc.
Hi

You don't get the 39c 'back' but you don't pay income tax on that, which as you will soon realise, is just as good as income.

You have to kep a record of all your journies and state private or business. You can only get relief on the business ones. For the personal journies just the Km and 'private' in the book is enough, but for the business ones you have to state where from and where to, and preferably why.

If you are lazy, then they'll often just assume 80% is for private, and 20% is for work, so its much better to keep a book.

Also if you are working away from your 'home office' for more than 6 hours you can claim 'päiväraha' 13 eur, or for more than 10 hours (or overnight) 26 eur. This is the same deal as with the Km - you don't pay tax on that - BTW I also charge my clients these sums over and above my normal daily rate!

I'm away working for a few days, and a bit out of contact, but I'd be happy to offer you some advice, if you want it, just e-mail me. I've had my business for a couple of years now, and I learned a couple of handy hints.

Cheers
Gavin

gavin

Post by gavin » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:10 pm

Ah,

and the dentist thing... forget it.

Have you got a good book-keeper? I strongly recommend you get one to look after your tax and VAT, otherwise you'll be drowning in tax bills before you know it...

Are you ALV registered?

Er, what's your line, by the way?

Cheers
Gavin

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:22 pm

I sell vintage design on the net - stuff like Aalto etc. We've met before- some bar in Kaisaniemi for . beers, I am a mate of Neil's. I used to do a bit of chatting in the old smartgroups, but only just got round to using this new format now I have problem of my own!

I only use the car for business (so would you if you had the SAAB 99 from hell), so keeping a record is easy. Spose they'll think it is a bit sus though...

The VAT thing is a total pain in the arse. I only export, and nearly alll that is outside of the EU, so I don't get to charge VAT/ALV just pay it. And people in the UK definitely think you are pulling their chain when you tell em VAT is 22%!

I used to do accounts at my old job, so I reckon I can hack the paperwork, but I just don't know the way the system "works". I will take you up on the offer of a few tips tomorrow. Bed beckons just now!

Thanks to both you and Hank!

Jamie

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:53 am

I second the "get a good bookkeeper" and "preferrably one that speaks english" part. One in the "boonies" have cheaper rates than ones in the city. Of course, if you can do your books yourself on the side you fulfill my definition of double bookkeeping :mrgreen: ...one so you know whats going on and the other for the tax authority...

Do people actually buy that crap and pay for it? :shock:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.