Phd in accounting/MSc in finance

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
bratoli

Post by bratoli » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:46 am

Dear all

I am a non-EU who have MSc in accounting from Sweden, ACCA membership and being fluent in English and Swedish. As no job can be found in Sweden till now, the only option is to study further. This week two offers rendered, one is self-funded PhD (no salary, but no tuition fee) in accounting in Leuven, Belgium; the other is MSc in finance in Oulu, Finland. Finance subject may be more attractive than accounting, but Oulu may not offer jobs in future. If choose PhD in accounting in Leuven, career is vague as which jobs can be pursued upon PhD graduation is unclear. Previously, have 5 years experience in accounting. Now I really need your suggestions about which option should be chosen and which country is more likely to find a job in terms of accounting or finance. Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Quantish

Re: Phd in accounting/MSc in finance

Post by Quantish » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:46 am

Go for the master's program in Finance. Along with your experiences in accounting, a master's in Finance will help increase your chance to find a good job upon graduation. If you don't think you will be able to get an academic job, doing a PhD in accounting is just a waste of time.

bratoli

Post by bratoli » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks. I do contend that academic job in EU and my home country is one of the most difficult ones to obtain. If no academic career to be undertaken after graduation, which any other jobs can be done for PhD in accounting graduate?

MinhChau010416

Post by MinhChau010416 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:15 pm

bratoli wrote:Thanks. I do contend that academic job in EU and my home country is one of the most difficult ones to obtain. If no academic career to be undertaken after graduation, which any other jobs can be done for PhD in accounting graduate?
Which kind of job do u prefer? Accadamic or work in a campany?
You csn see very cleary that Master Finance will give you more chances to work and more interesting job. I dont understand why they hv phd programe for accounting. Accept for to be a teacher.

Btw, how wwas your working experience? What kind of job do u demand? Is it really difficult like that for a ACCA mrmbership find a job in helsinki?
Missä minun rahani? Mieheni kokki, mieheni pestä, mieheni suudelma :D :twisted: :beamer: :wink: :thumbsup: