How much can I receive from KELA as a foreign students?

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Peach

Re: How much can I receive from KELA as a foreign students?

Post by Peach » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:58 am

Moi everybody! since the first time i was in Finland, i realized, i HAVE to learn suomi, i felt very uncomfortable trying to make new friends only with english. Once again, these opinions, ractify what i was thinking since day one; i must learn finnish! it doesn't matters how hard is gonna get me, i have been studying for almost one year and i'm still in level one, lol, but i won't quite, i mean, at some point, i will ending learning something.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

lamarciana87

Post by lamarciana87 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:32 am

As Mike said, what I have read on the kela website is that if you are EU citizen registered here as a student, but work more than 18 hours a week then you are eligible for benefits.

But if you earn more than 660 a month you are not eligible for benefits.

So how does that work?? Find a job that pays really badly?

leisl

Post by leisl » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:27 pm

If the job is 18 hours per week in cleaning, the likely pay is about 9 euro per hour, so making the monthly pay something like 702 euro plus or minus a bit depending on which days of the week fall into the month.

To be fair, the number of people working more than 18 hours and earning less than 660 euro (brutto) is going to be virtually nil.

So you could say...
Pursuivant wrote:the student aid is for residents, whose residence is based "on other reason as a student"
The only people getting benefits here are here for reasons OTHER than study. That is, their partner/parent works here so they got a residence permit based on family ties, their dependent child lives here, they worked here before enrolling in university, yarda yarda.

The answer to your question on how does it work? It doesn't. But that's not uncommon with laws :D

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:46 pm

To get KELA "student aid", you need to be working... was it 2 years (on a neverending contract), your intention is to work (or shag reindeers) and after your paperwork is EU-residence (in 5 years permanent), then you can "think" of becoming a student. Which handouts are less than your unemployment.

So no, if you come as a "student" you aren't entitled for "student aid". And if you are "studying" you ate a student and not entitled to any "working poor" aid.

If KELA finds any excuse not to pay, that rule applies.

Answer is still: zippo, zilch, nada, H3T, non, pissoff
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Lavinia

Post by Lavinia » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:19 pm

Yes, I just want to say that you do NOT get student aid if you're coming with the sole purpose of studying, no way.

You qualify for student subsidy only if you can prove you have come here for some other purpose. I have been working and living here for three years before starting studying, and I had to prove it to kela.

Also, if you don't speak any Finnish you're probably trying to get in an UAS(as far as I know most Universities don't offer bachelors in English), so I must warn you, UAS require your physical presence in class, which is going to make it difficult to hold a job(and if you want to work with zero hour contract, then even for dishwashing you'll get around 11€ per hour, which would be too much for the student subsidy anyway).

If you are choosing Finland just because of the welfare system, forget it. It's not going to work.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:00 am

leisl wrote:But if I came to the USA. And my English was poor. But I could do the job just fine. Would I get the job. No. Someone else will always be chosen ahead of me. Someone with good English.

Same with Finnish. Doesn't matter if you can do the job. It only matters if you are the best applicant.
Except that's NOT true for unskilled labor in the US. As long as you plug into the network of your fellow nationals, e.g. hispanics or slavs, chances are decent to get work in a group of unskilleds or semi-skilleds where one of them with passable English handles the communication with natives. That's all the more so for the many low-paid or miserable jobs that not many Americans want to do. But even work like office cleaning (a downright pleasure cruise compared to some jobs in this category) may be done by a prime contractor who hires or subs to countrymen. That's easier to do under the table, but there may be some who file all the paperwork. My question would be who gets a green card without English -- maybe spouses and dependents.

Someone from a country where this is true is less likely to believe that Finland is a different story.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

leisl

Post by leisl » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:34 pm

I used USA because I think that poster's from the USA. But this is Finland and arguing whether I'm wrong about the USA is a bit pointless. There are unemployed people here with good Finnish AND if a fluent speaker applies for that job in either country, all other things being equal, the immigrant would still miss out. That is how the world works... the employer picks the person best for the job, not a person at random who can do the job.

And as for under the table work in Finland it's virtually non-existent. An option not worth bothering with as you will very quickly find nobody is very interested in losing the tax benefits.