Exams for IT

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
lenon3579

Exams for IT

Post by lenon3579 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:16 pm

Hi all!

I'm a Brazilian student doing exams for IT on Espoo campus of Helsinki Metropolia UAS. I'm studying to be prepared to the exams. I managed to find the pdfs of the exams of 2009, 2011 and 2013 on the internet, but I would like to find the ones from 2014 and 2015. And also to know how much studens are applying to the test. Do anyone know where to find that kind of information?

Btw, I really want to go to Finland. I love all that I knew about that place until now. And I'm tired of the "hue" way of life. You know, for the gamers between you, having a hue person on the game server is annoying. Now think about living in a country full of them.

And... do anyone else around here is applying to Metropolia also? Foreigners or Finnish. :D

Cheers! :beer_yum:

Exams for IT

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

KatjaPri

Re: Exams for IT

Post by KatjaPri » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:59 pm

Hey!
Where did you find those pdf's? Could you be so kind and share them? :)
I am also applying to Metropolia and I live in Helsinki :)

ehab101

Post by ehab101 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:38 pm

Hi there!

I am also a candidate for IT in Finland. Helsinki. It would be nice to share some ideas. I am trying really hard to prepare. I could not however find any sample question papers for last years. It would be a big help if you can share them with me. I will try to be of some help to you as well with my share of ideas. Thanks in advance and hoping that you well in the exam. :)

Boxxu

Post by Boxxu » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:43 am

Hello! Another IT Metropolia Helsinki applicant from the UK here :D
To be honest the reference material from previous years seems to be all over the place but here are some PDFs that I've come across:
http://www.metropolia.fi/fileadmin/user ... m_2014.pdf
http://www.metropolia.fi/fileadmin/user ... g_2014.pdf

The difficulty level between those two is quite a lot IMO, and whereas those were calculator exams this year no calculators are allowed so I presume things are going to be vastly different compared to previous exams. I think you will be better off just studying from other sources(Khan Academy has been a great resource for me) instead of digging for these past papers. Kinda nerve wracking not having any indication of what's coming up though.. :|
As for how many people are applying I don't think there's any way to tell but there's (I believe) 60 spots available.

Best of luck to the rest of you, let us know if you find anything useful will ya? :thumbsup:

jebouri81

Post by jebouri81 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:47 am

Hi Guys I'm another student applied for MAMK,

i got some pdf's here, do you know how to upload them ?

or send me your emails so that i send them all to you

lenon3579

Post by lenon3579 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:39 pm

Hi you all!

It's very nice to meet you, and I hope we all meet again IRL in the course. :D

I'm studying really hard for the exams, but I'm still very very anxious and more than a little afraid. It's been like 14 years since last time I studied maths and physics, and I'm too rusty on that field. Yeah, I completed high school in 2002. It's a lot of time.

BTW, what do you think thw SWOT analysis will be about on the exams? How it can be applied to a maths/physics/logics test?

Somoo

Post by Somoo » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:20 pm

lenon3579 wrote: BTW, what do you think thw SWOT analysis will be about on the exams? How it can be applied to a maths/physics/logics test?
Hello.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who is applying to Finland! I can't tell anything about SWOT but I'm interested in it too. 2 days ago I called Helsinki Metropolia but no one could help me about SWOT.

BTW, I think it might be possible that they use SWOT to know more about you, I mean something like a "motivation letter".

Pls. if anyone know how this SWOT thing works in a IT exam let us know!

P.S Is there anyone who writes his/her exam in Budapest on the 14th. of April?

lenon3579

Post by lenon3579 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:37 pm

Yeah, the SWOT is definitively a "motivation letter".

I did the exams yesterday, in Brazil. Not so tricky to do, but very hard to do it in time. I finished it five minutes before the end, and I was the first one. Most of the applicants here didn't managed to answer all the questions before the end. The logic questions were meant for you to lose time. But if you are a puzzle-addicted (like me) that part will be done a lot faster.

Doing the corrections after the exams, with the other people who had also taken it, I believe I did 34-37 points out of the 40. Do you think this is sufficient to enter Metropolia?

BTW, the only ones who fared better than me (a beautiful asatru couple) were taking the exams for MAMK.

jebouri81

Post by jebouri81 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi lenon3579

all the best for you and i hope you will make it to your study and accepted as well.

i'm preparing for the MAMK here and on 21st April few days from now will have the exam, any advice from your side would be much apprenticed.

Regards,

Ahmed

lenon3579

Post by lenon3579 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:19 pm

I have just one big advice:

don't lose time.

If one question is difficult, go to the next one. Later, if you have time, get back to the difficult one.

I've seen many in the Brazil's exam complaining that they didn't managed to finish questions they knew the answer in time, because they lost too much time in the difficult ones.