Master program in Computer Science

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
soboro

Post by soboro » Sun May 29, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi, I am preparing for my master course in Computer Science. And I want to get some advice about it, as it was really hard to find someone else who studied CS at Finland University in my country.

I chose Finnish Universities for my further study since they have a wide range of English lectures for international students and even its course structure was also attractive to me. But I’m also considering other European countries as well, which have higher ranking and reputation overall at the same time. However, I found that there are a lot of merits in studying Finland such as free tuition fee, great IT industry, and better work/lifestyle, but it’s still a mysterious country for me to choose firmly. So I want to know more about this country!

My main concern is the job prospects for foreign students in IT field. I have few years of working experiences in my country, so actually I want to work in Helsinki area or other European cities after graduate. I read some threads about jobs in IT field in this forum, which says it’s quite tough to get a job as a foreigner here in Finland. But it was written quite a few years ago, so I need some up-to-date information about it.

If you know just a little thing about it, please give me advice and it will be really helpful for me to decide which country to study going forward.
Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

JK_Ironak

Re: Master program in Computer Science

Post by JK_Ironak » Sun May 29, 2016 11:33 pm

Well, I got IT job in Espoo with no Finnish or IT experience (and a diploma in physics :P). Go figure :)

JK_Ironak

Post by JK_Ironak » Sun May 29, 2016 11:44 pm

roger_roger wrote:
JK_Ironak wrote:Well, I got IT job in Espoo with no Finnish or IT experience (and a diploma in physics :P). Go figure :)
which company and where in Espoo darling?

Why? :?

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon May 30, 2016 12:17 am

JK_Ironak wrote:Why? :?
Because what you said sounded either like a lie or a severe case of exaggeration. You seem to have intentionally omitted some piece of information like you having knowledge in IT like having taught yourself programming and some experience as a hobbyist in IT-related stuff like open-source contributions and some personal projects.

If, however, what you're saying is that you got a job in IT in Espoo while having 0 knowledge in any IT-related field, then it's one of these 4:
- You got your job as some sort of token foreigner or some quota system, and it's some pre-entry-level position.
- You have one of those fake jobs in a 2-person IT company for the sole purpose of maintaining your RP.
- The company is in hypergrowth mode (like early Angry Birds days for Rovio) and they've greatly lowered their hiring standards to inflate their headcount.
- You're lying.

Edit: Yeah, ever mind. Turns out that you were just exaggerating for absolutely no reason. After looking you up, it seems that you're actually a bright person with knowledge in programming and you have taught yourself a lot of things about IT, in addition to being good with basics of algorithms and some deep data analysis knowledge.

I don't know why you'd intentionally misrepresent yourself like that. I mean, yeah, what you said is technically true that you don't have previous working experience, but you intentionally omitted the part where you are actually knowledge and competent in multiple areas in IT.
Last edited by Beep_Boop on Mon May 30, 2016 12:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

JK_Ironak

Post by JK_Ironak » Mon May 30, 2016 12:32 am

Beep_Boop wrote:
JK_Ironak wrote:Why? :?
Because what you said sounded either like a lie or a severe case of exaggeration. You seem to have intentionally omitted some piece of information like you having knowledge in IT like having taught yourself programming and some experience as a hobbyist in IT-related stuff like open-source contributions and some personal projects.

If, however, what you're saying is that you got a job in IT in Espoo while having 0 knowledge in any IT-related field, then it's one of these 4:
- You got your job as some sort of token foreigner or some quota system, and it's some pre-entry-level position.
- You have one of those fake jobs in a 2-person IT company for the sole purpose of maintaining your RP.
- The company is in hypergrowth mode (like early Angry Birds days for Rovio) and they've greatly lowered their hiring standards to inflate their headcount.
- You're lying.

and if, however, it turns out that you genuinely know nothing about the field and you actually have a job like describe, then I'd like to know to avoid ever dealing with your employer in any shape or form.
I might be tempted to answer you if you weren't so rude about it.

To OP, I got a job in IT without formal IT education/diploma, and I didn't have work experience in IT (just some simple coding). I'm sure you will have those 2 and also more knowledge than me so don't worry about your chances at finding a job with no knowledge of Finnish. Of course, while you study, it could be good to learn some Finnish as well.

soboro

Post by soboro » Mon May 30, 2016 3:55 am

Thanks all.
I'm still confused, but I will try to make the best decision for me based on your helps.. Thank you!

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon May 30, 2016 9:35 am

JK_Ironak wrote:I might be tempted to answer you if you weren't so rude about it.
You don't need to answer. Turns out that you were just exaggerating for absolutely no reason. After looking you up, it seems that you're actually a bright person with knowledge in programming and you have taught yourself a lot of things about IT, in addition to being good with basics of algorithms and some deep data analysis knowledge.

I don't know why you'd intentionally misrepresent yourself like that. I mean, yeah, what you said is technically true that you don't have previous working experience, but you intentionally omitted the part where you are actually knowledge and competent in multiple areas in IT.

Also honest != rude. It can be, but in this case I wasn't trying to be rude. I just dislike this fake humility thing. You're actually smart with good knowledge, why would you represent yourself as someone who doesn't know much.. you'd just be unintentionally deceiving OP into thinking that someone who doesn't know much can easily get a job. I find that dishonest.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon May 30, 2016 11:01 am

I found that there are a lot of merits in studying Finland such as free tuition fee, great IT industry
Find again. :lol:
Though the tuition fees will affect you only if you are non-EEA.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."