Studying in a university without a high school diploma

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Spirit of the Forest

Post by Spirit of the Forest » Sun May 29, 2016 7:04 pm

So, one big reason I moved to Finland is that its education system is acknowledged as one of the best in the world.

In Israel, however, the education system is quite different, and in my opinion one of the worst in the world.

I never completed high school. It was a nightmare period for me and I dropped out at 15.
Therefore, I don't have a high school diploma.

However, I can program, and I would love to study computer science in one of the universities.

What do I have to do to reach that goal? I doubt they would accept someone who doesn't have a high school diploma.
So how can I complete my high school education beforehand, if I do need to do it?

Will it be possible for me to only study certain fields that are required for CS? Like mathematics, electricity, some history, etc, rather than doing lukio from scratch?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Studying in a university without a high school diploma

Post by Pursuivant » Mon May 30, 2016 10:47 am

You can get into "vocational" path easy. They have some IT programmes, and with vocational papers you can apply for polytechnic or even university. To cram the courses you can go study in night school. Nobody will find it weird, Finland has a long history of adult education. One of the presidents was originally a stevedore and studied at night school to become a graduate.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Spirit of the Forest

Post by Spirit of the Forest » Mon May 30, 2016 11:30 am

Thanks for the links. They themselves contain references to dead links, though.
You can get into "vocational" path easy. They have some IT programmes, and with vocational papers you can apply for polytechnic or even university. To cram the courses you can go study in night school. Nobody will find it weird, Finland has a long history of adult education. One of the presidents was originally a stevedore and studied at night school to become a graduate.
Alright, good to know. I'll search for that. One of my cousins also went to night school, so I'll talk to him, maybe he can guide me through the process.

Thanks

ProspectiveFinn

Post by ProspectiveFinn » Mon May 30, 2016 11:54 am

Spirit of the Forest wrote:So, one big reason I moved to Finland is that its education system is acknowledged as one of the best in the world.

In Israel, however, the education system is quite different, and in my opinion one of the worst in the world.

I never completed high school. It was a nightmare period for me and I dropped out at 15.

However, I can program, and I would love to study computer science in one of the universities.

What do I have to do to reach that goal? I doubt they would accept someone who doesn't have a high school diploma.
So how can I complete my high school education beforehand, if I do need to do it?

Will it be possible for me to only study certain fields that are required for CS? Like mathematics, electricity, some history, etc, rather than doing lukio from scratch?
I was recently accepted by University of Helsinki for the Masters program in Computer Science, and I never graduated from High School. I did, however, earn the US equivalent which is the GED (General Education Development). If Israel has an equivalent to the GED then I'm sure that would be sufficient and your not graduating High School would not be a limiting factor in your application.

Spirit of the Forest

Post by Spirit of the Forest » Mon May 30, 2016 8:21 pm

I was informed of something called Valinta Kokeet:

https://www.utu.fi/fi/Opiskelu/hakemine ... okeet.aspx

Anybody got any experience with that?

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon May 30, 2016 8:56 pm

Spirit of the Forest wrote:I was informed of something called Valinta Kokeet:

https://www.utu.fi/fi/Opiskelu/hakemine ... okeet.aspx

Anybody got any experience with that?
That's just a regular entrance exam used to assess students for acceptance into available places. You only get there after you satisfy the other criteria.

Like inkku mentioned, try for discretionary admission. If you have demonstrable knowledge in the field to which you're applying, it wouldn't be surprising if you get accepted. If you're applying for CS/IT, then show your contributions and proof of knowledge and experience.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Spirit of the Forest

Post by Spirit of the Forest » Tue May 31, 2016 10:52 am

Beep_Boop wrote:That's just a regular entrance exam used to assess students for acceptance into available places. You only get there after you satisfy the other criteria.

Like inkku mentioned, try for discretionary admission. If you have demonstrable knowledge in the field to which you're applying, it wouldn't be surprising if you get accepted. If you're applying for CS/IT, then show your contributions and proof of knowledge and experience.
Alright. Sounds reasonable. Thanks.

juliediane

Post by juliediane » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:54 pm

Spirit of the Forest wrote:
Sun May 29, 2016 7:04 pm
So, one big reason I moved to Finland is that its education system is acknowledged as one of the best in the world.

Hi, I have actually 3 years of experience and a bachelor's and master's from a US university, the problem is that I lost my original high school diploma and I can't have a new original one, am I gonna be accepted on the day of the interview? knowing that I have with me my bachelor's and master's diplomas original ones?