Health insurance for EU student at a UAS

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
lamarciana87

Post by lamarciana87 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:48 pm

Hello all
I have a question regarding health insurance.
I am from the UK, (currently still in the EU, who knows for how long!). I've been living in Germany for 2 years, and I'm moving to Tampere in one month to start a Bachelors at TAMK.
I cannot apply for an EHIC card from the UK because I haven't been resident there for 2 years.
I cannot use the German health insurance card because I have to cancel my residence as soon as I move abroad.
As far as I've read/heard, I cannot register for public health insurance in Finland because my purpose for living there will be only to study.
I've got a part-time job lined up in Tampere, maybe I am entitled to some kind of access to the health system through that, if I'm paying taxes?
I'm going to write to the uni welfare advisors etc. with the same question, I just wanted to post here in case, because it's holiday time and I guess I won't get an answer until August. Perhaps someone has been in a similar situation.
Advice much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Health insurance for EU student at a UAS

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:20 pm

lamarciana87 wrote: As far as I've read/heard, I cannot register for public health insurance in Finland because my purpose for living there will be only to study.
You need to separate access to Kela and access to health services. They are covered by different sets of rules. The latter is controlled by having a home municipality which you can get for programs lasting at least two years. In addition student union fees include access to the basic health services for students. Without Kela it might still make sense to take private insurance in order to cover medicines.
lamarciana87 wrote: I've got a part-time job lined up in Tampere, maybe I am entitled to some kind of access to the health system through that, if I'm paying taxes?
http://www.kela.fi/web/en/working-in-fi ... ed-persons

Swissguy

Post by Swissguy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:43 pm

So if I study in Helsinki fulltime, I dont have to take those swisscare insurances if I pay the student union?

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:21 pm

Naah, there is an EU-directive at play here too. Regardless of if they give you healthcare, the directives say you need to have one as a student. "Comprehensive health insurance". So either an EHIC, on KELA as anything else but a student, orvthen Swisscarexand the likes...

It popped up now here in the UK that people went into a panic mode with Brexit and started applying for EEA permanent residence documents. The rule came into effect was it 2009, but did anyone ask it at NHS? Nobody ever heard of it... Irrelevant, you should have had one, denied, next...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Swissguy

Post by Swissguy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:36 am

So in that case I should still take something like swisscare? I think i will anyway, it doesnt really pay anything anyway.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:01 pm

Pursuivant wrote:Naah, there is an EU-directive at play here too. Regardless of if they give you healthcare, the directives say you need to have one as a student. "Comprehensive health insurance". So either an EHIC, on KELA as anything else but a student, orvthen Swisscarexand the likes...
In Finland the directive is implemented in the Aliens Act which says:

"are enrolled at an accredited educational institution in Finland for the principal purpose of following a course of study and they have, for themselves and their family members, sufficient funds for their residence and, if necessary, health insurance, so that, during their time of residence, they do not become a burden on Finland’s social security system by resorting repeatedly to social assistance provided in the Act on Social Assistance or other comparable benefits or in some other similar manner;"

It's an interesting question having a municipality of residence is enough. After all if one needs to start taking expensive medicines, it's possible to leave the country and use the system in the country of origin. Not that I would recommend this.
Swissguy wrote:So in that case I should still take something like swisscare? I think i will anyway, it doesnt really pay anything anyway.
Swisscare has other components in the insurance like travel insurance. From what I remember of the prices, it makes sense to me for everyone to buy it (or something similar) when not covered by Kela. Depending on the answer to above, you might even be supposed to.

lamarciana87

Post by lamarciana87 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:52 am

Thanks for the answers :D

Lavinia

Post by Lavinia » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:29 pm

Hei, I don't think you need one. For emergencies(if you go to ER, Acuta) you're covered with the EU health card, and for the rest students in tampere have the right to use student's health services. If you're starting this year you'll get a full free check up at some point this autumn (http://ects-guide.tamk.fi/opiskeluterveydenhuolto) .